joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Man, that what I need just inside charleston. But I think you're safe... I just hope to get my forecast of 3-5 

I can gurantee if ukmet is right it'll mix, transition all up down i85. 77 will love it. You get outside charleston prfearaby savannahs 85 is gold. Seen it a few to many times.

12 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Wow, carywx just laid out down the royal flush...

Yeah please let that be right lol. Living in eastern NC all my life ( 44 years)  I can tell you that almost every system we have had where temps during the event where in the mid to low 20's ( there havent been that many) were predominantly snowstorms....PGV is averaging around 1.75" QPF for this storm in the models....even if half of it is snow thats 6" or more...also the GFS/RGEM etc drop .50-.75 of that in 3 hrs with surface temps around 23-24...that said we had sleet mix in in Mar 1980 and Dec 2000 and both of those storms were AWESOME lol..

13 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Pushing all in with the RGEM/Euro combo.  Just re-reading some of the past winter storms where we went through this.  As much as I wish the GFS/GEFS was correct it was never the model that got temp profiles correct.  The RGEM/Euro did fairly well at this range (inside 36) and the NAM was always to warm (knock on wood).   

Sounds pretty good Pack to me

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

For reference...this is what RGEM had from 36 hours out, where we are now, for the Jan 28, 2014 event and also what verified.  Pretty much nailed it.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20140129.gif

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/42584-128-130-storm-thread-ii/?do=findComment&comment=2691087

Great find - do you by chance know how the NAM did at that point?

1 minute ago, AbsolutZero said:

I will but it might be late like 4am

This crazy bunch never sleeps during a storm  :snowman:

19 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I'm trying to find this. Is it 850 or skinny warm nose. Inside even over charleston track is cutting it close

Sfc low on UKMet is just off the coast at Charleston.  Here's the warmest 850 panel

fa7zti.gif

14 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Cuts it close by there being mixing? Or is it all snow and close to changing to mix? Thanks man!

Yes cuts in close in terms of staying all or mostly snow....UK would likely mix at RDU and CLT airports

1 minute ago, CoolBreeze said:

Is anyone planning to provide a PBP for the upcoming Euro run? Otherwise, since it's fairly quiet, I may head to bed to prepare for an all-nighter tomorrow!

Grit is here and I will add color commentary.  Mr. Nelson is on board tonight too, so he might join us... who knows?

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

No maps...but this is what the Euro had at this range.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/42584-128-130-storm-thread-ii/?page=43#comment-2688812

Good stuff pack.  High confidence now we are fine on precip amounts in our space. Just have 850 temp issues to worry about.  Hoping that boundary line moves no further west than about Lillington-Clayton-Rocky Mount and just pummels our area with heavy snow

6 minutes ago, HWY316wx said:

Grit is here and I will add color commentary.  Mr. Nelson is on board tonight too, so he might join us... who knows?

Ah so that is Mr. Nelson. I was wondering.... :)

Hopefully we see it come on board in the good upslope regions of the mountains here. Lowest total from any model right now is the CMC at 5". GFS is 7, nam versions are 9+ (overdone probably). Be nice to have the euro show more than 3. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived