Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

8 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Is it me or is this thing getting delayed by 6-12 hours every run? Yesterday we were looking at a Fri-Sat event...last night we were looking at a Sat AM event...this morning we're looking at a Sat PM event? When does it stop?

Im confused. On the other board someone said snow was in North AL on Thurs night and it's gonna take 2 days to make it to your area ?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Im confused. On the other board someone said snow was in North AL on Thurs night and it's gonna take 2 days to make it to your area ?

12z yesterday: Precip arrives 1pm Fri
18z yesterday: Precip arrives 7pm Fri
00z yesterday: Precip arrives 1pm Sat
12z today: Precip arrives 1pm Sat (Carolinas)

Just noticing an overall timeframe change, that's all.

2 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Horrible GFS run. Barely any for Charlotte. Too zonal. We got the high's but no low's. 

At this range we'll continue to get different solutions with each run. Important thing is to keep this south of us and get the cold air in first. So personally I think this is still a good run (at this range). **just remember yesterday's runs

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

12z yesterday: Precip arrives 1pm Fri
18z yesterday: Precip arrives 7pm Fri
00z yesterday: Precip arrives 1pm Sat
12z today: Precip arrives 1pm Sat (Carolinas)

Just noticing an overall timeframe change, that's all.

May be good, if it's not too delayed, but better chance for cold to be established!?

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

UKMet has a big cold push again, but it dives the sfc high into the Memphis area at 144.  Wave at that time is kicking out and is just west of Salt Lake City.  Hard to say where it would go from there but not an awesome look overall other than the initial good cold airmass

Not surprised, the 0z UK 144 anomaly map had a stout +NAO...the GEFS/EPS keep some sort of block which does help slow down that HP with keeping the PV lobe shoved further SE.

Just now, FallsLake said:

At this range we'll continue to get different solutions with each run. Important thing is to keep this south of us and get the cold air in first. So personally I think this is still a good run (at this range). **just remember yesterday's runs

Exactly! I think 99% of people would like the look of this mornings GFS runs so far as compared to yesterday's 12 z runs!

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Exactly! I think 99% of people would like the look of this mornings GFS runs so far as compared to yesterday's 12 z runs!

I can see the 12z and 0z runs of todays runs pan out. I think ultimately these are the two scenarios for this event. We should get more clarity in the coming days. 

Where the 12z diverged from the 0z solution was when the western s/w came on shore.  12z weakened the wave too quickly which allow some of the energy to escape out in front of it while the 0z managed to phase the vort energy around it and hold it together.  Some of that might to due to less interaction with the N Pac ULL compared to the 0z.  Small differences that make the biggest changes in the outcome.

1 hour ago, DopplerWx said:

No. It won't. We go over this every single year, soil temps can easily be overcome and have little to no effect on accums.

We go over it because it is not a simple yes or no as to the question "does soil temps affect snow accrual?" There are way to many factors to consider to just say yes it does or no it doesn't. I personally have seen both situations where a warm ground did and did not seem to affect accrual; but living in the upstate, I can assure you there are more times (especially with small and light events which is what we are most likely to get) than not where warm ground temps limited or prevented any accrual. Your perspective on this is likely to be built upon your experience. AirNelson made a comment about if the temps get cold enough it the ground will cool quickly, which is of course true. And being in Boone, that probably matches his experience much more than mine here in the upstate. Most of our snows are with surface temps of 29-32, which will take a long while for snow to cool the ground enough for good coverage. Boone usually gets snow in the 20s or even teens so the ground would freeze much faster and harder. Surface temps certainly affect ground temps in a big way, as will snowfall rate, duration, etc. 

29 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Agreed. At this point it will be Monday or Tuesday before we get a clearer picture of how all the moving parts eventually unfold. Until then it's kind of fun having something of interest. 

5 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Agreed. At this point it will be Monday or Tuesday before we get a clearer picture of how all the moving parts eventually unfold. Until then it's kind of fun having something of interest. 

it has been my experience and observation that even DURING an unfolding winter event the details are still UNKNOWN.....the 1993 storm as example the locals were calling for a dusting to an inch 24 hours out, then during the event with 3 inches already on the ground they changed to maybe up to 3 inches.......we ended up with 18 inches in pelham.......NO model yet is accurate enough to know the details even 48 hours in advance, the general setup yes but the fine details no way.

33 minutes ago, griteater said:

GFS and CMC ensemble means look quite good.  Wavy sfc pressure off the SE coast moving in tandem with sfc high to the north.  Haven't seen the member breakdown

I feel like if we can get to this look by day 5 we have a chance...assuming wave starts coming out day 6-7.  These ensembles should have some skill day 5.

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.51.57 PM.png

This issue that's bothering me about trusting the ensembles is that there are about three different clusters of scenarios on the table with individual members to match each one.  There is a low probability of one of the "BIG DOG" members being correct.  Many have no snow at all.  How can we just average those together and say that has a better chance of being right? Maybe we should be more worried about the standard deviation (how spread out the results are) instead of the mean average????

EDIT:  After seeing the individual members that Brick just posted, they do seem a little tighter clustered than previous runs (for NC anyway).  Hopefully they are starting to zero in on a correct outcome?

Archived