Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Another variable is the extremely warm antecedent temperatures.  Highs in the 70s on Tuesday will warm up the soil and asphalt considerably.  This will limit any accumulations.

Not sure, we've had highs in the 60's recently and we're still solidly at 40-42 degrees. Maybe something to worry about with a weak 1-3" event, but anything larger and rates will overwhelm any surface temperature issues

1 minute ago, Jon said:

Not sure, we've had highs in the 60's recently and we're still solidly at 40-42 degrees. Maybe something to worry about with a weak 1-3" event, but anything larger and rates will overwhelm any surface temperature issues

I agree with that.

But I don't see this event being anything other than a weak 1-3", if that, for RDU so soil temperatures will DEFINITELY be a factor.  Especially with temps possibly in the 70s and sunny a few days before.  

10 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Another variable is the extremely warm antecedent temperatures.  Highs in the 70s on Tuesday will warm up the soil and asphalt considerably.  This will limit any accumulations.

This would be like worrying about what plays you are going to call in the Super Bowl while preparing for the Week 1 game

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

I agree with that.

But I don't see this event being anything other than a weak 1-3", if that, for RDU so soil temperatures will DEFINITELY be a factor.  Especially with temps possibly in the 70s and sunny a few days before.  

I think it's trending to a larger event, especially for RDU. But yeah, my opinion is soil temps no issue whatsoever. Roads always are the last to cover, but with heavy rates those can get covered in minutes. Heavy rates can cool the surface as the true soil temperature 2-5" deep into the ground would be a lot cooler than anything that warmed the surface days prior. Not worried but lets nail a storm down first lol

12z looks like a cross between the 0z and 6z runs

Yeah energy is completely sheared out in the west, if a low pops seems like it will be a repeat of the 6z moreso than the 0z. Doesn't look like anything will dig too far south this run....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yeah energy is completely sheared out in the west, if a low pops seems like it will be a repeat of the 6z moreso than the 0z. Doesn't look like anything will dig too far south this run....

Mid levels looks really good at 153.. Don't want it too strong. But GFS will prob not get the energy wrapped in well for their surface output

2 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Is it me or is this thing getting delayed by 6-12 hours every run? Yesterday we were looking at a Fri-Sat event...last night we were looking at a Sat event...this morning we're looking at a Sat-Sun event? When does it stop?

It don't matter when it stops, as long as you get the cold push out in front of whatever disturbance may come along!

Wrong. I can't understand why people bring this up every single year. It doesn't take much to overcome "warm" ground temps from a few days of warm weather. About 3 weeks ago we had very warm weather for several days and it snowed about half an inch one night and the roads were solid white in Boone. If the the air gets cold enough what melts at first quickly becomes a great base layer of ice that continues to cool the ground.

1 minute ago, AirNelson39 said:

Wrong. I can't understand why people bring this up every single year. It doesn't take much to overcome "warm" ground temps from a few days of warm weather. About 3 weeks ago we had very warm weather for several days and it snowed about half an inch one night and the roads were solid white in Boone. If the the air gets cold enough what melts at first quickly becomes a great base layer of ice that continues to cool the ground.

They trollin, they hatin, they trying to be dumb and nerdy! :)

Archived