joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. EURO is about to crush our dreams. 32 deg line isn't even into NC at 126...0z it was in southern SC.

Vort map still looks fine with ridging and no progressive look, could take a while and be slower, allowing more cold to move in before the shortwave digs...we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Jon said:

Vort map still looks fine with ridging and no progressive look, could take a while and be slower, allowing more cold to move in before the shortwave digs...we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So maybe we get a little appetizer riding up the arctic front, then potential for a more robust system once the cold air sets in? That would be preferred anyway.

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

Gotcha. I wasn't looking at the EURO when I typed that. (I deleted the post)

This is the weak little wave the GFS spit out during the same timeframe. I'm with you now.

What will really help it is if some offshore ridging builds to allow this s/w to dig SE more and give it some room.  

Stress levels are high, ha.  Euro and UKMet look quite similar.  If we relax the cold press just a tad (not far fetched at all given how models normally trend), and then bring the wave out and it is allowed to amplify just a tad, you get a nice light to moderate winter storm.  We're in a good spot right now all things considered.  It's never easy, but you sure as heck don't want to see a substantially weakened cold press and amplified western wave or its snow from Tulsa to Happy Valley

5 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I don't get it. This is madness. I mean yeah, it's 6-8 days away but the GFS/CMC/EURO could not POSSIBLY be any more different from each other even if you tried to draw it up that way. Insane.

The GFS and Euro are strung out and don't combine the SW's. CMC kinda does, but not a physically practical way. Historically, low resolution models are not phase happy. If higher resolution models don't bite, then you have a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I don't get it. This is madness. I mean yeah, it's 6-8 days away but the GFS/CMC/EURO could not POSSIBLY be any more different from each other even if you tried to draw it up that way. Insane.

GFS: decent storm
CMC: cutter
EURO: what storm?

This is normal.

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

Stress levels are high, ha.  Euro and UKMet look quite similar.  If we relax the cold press just a tad (not far fetched at all given how models normally trend), and then bring the wave out and it is allowed to amplify just a tad, you get a nice light to moderate winter storm.  We're in a good spot right now all things considered.  It's never easy, but you sure as heck don't want to see a substantially weakened cold press and amplified western wave or its snow from Tulsa to Happy Valley

Yep...I don't want to see a wave tracking across the  deep south 7 days out.  Wish the para was running.  

Between now and the next 24-48 hrs (depending on your model of choice), we're entering the standard multi-cycle period where the storm signal weakens.  Nothing to freak out over.  It's quite standard and expected.

Suppressed is really the only look that's good for us this far out.  When we start getting snow showing up before 1:20/1:30 on the Euro, then we'll be in business.

Archived