Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todays indices:

AO - Looks to go a little positive in the short term then solidly negative in the LR

NAO - Looks to go solidly positive in the mid range and then fall to negative or neutral in the LR

PNA - Looks to stay negative in short and medium term and then maybe go neutral in the LR

So LR may have neutral PNA/NAO and a negative AO 

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

We could see the PNA go positive in the LR. NAO still looks to go strongly positive before dropping to neutral. And the really good news is the AO is still forecast to go strongly negative.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Did you see the weeklies? They looked pretty good. The ao is diving off the cliff. The pna looks meh and the nao is the evil step child. 

4 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Shoot this storm is extra if you ask me. I thought we would have to wait until at least the middle to the end of the month.

Hope this storm works for folks; believe we'll be seeing a pattern relaxation until late January at the earliest, perhaps early Feb, after this passes.

8 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Hope this storm works for folks; believe we'll be seeing a pattern relaxation until late January at the earliest, perhaps early Feb, after this passes.

Oh yeah we will see a relaxation. The euro weeklies looked the best they have for us in 2 years in my opinion starting the end of January into February. 

Just now, Met1985 said:

Oh yeah we will see a relaxation. The euro weeklies looked the best they have for us in 2 years in my opinion starting the end of January into February. 

Been posting since October - that's the time frame (though don't rule out a 2 day blast surprise in a couple of weeks) - it's all tropics this year.

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Does it really qualify as a "relaxation" if the cold spell is like three days long?

22 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Does it really qualify as a "relaxation" if the cold spell is like three days long?

Yeah your right. Hopefully just a better all around pattern change. The cold spell actually looks like about a week long but nothing to get excited about unless you are sick and tired of the crap we keep going through. 

So a little weather weenie stuff for the potential storm; we've discusses that warm ground temps can be overcome and not to worry too much about them. But I still like the idea of ground temps being cooler when potential snow falls. So today it is forecasted to get into the 60s (for at least the RDU area). (but)Tonight temps are forecasted to get down to near freezing (front passes). This should really help lower ground temps, especially if we can get some clear skies tonight; which would allow for possible lower ground surface temps. So tonight could be important for the upcoming event. Again I know this is weenie stuff...  

30 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

So a little weather weenie stuff for the potential storm; we've discusses that warm ground temps can be overcome and not to worry too much about them. But I still like the idea of ground temps being cooler when potential snow falls. So today it is forecasted to get into the 60s (for at least the RDU area). (but)Tonight temps are forecasted to get down to near freezing (front passes). This should really help lower ground temps, especially if we can get some clear skies tonight; which would allow for possible lower ground surface temps. So tonight could be important for the upcoming event. Again I know this is weenie stuff...  

Your a weenie bro! Lol the colder the ground the faster the snow will start laying. 

46 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

They come out on Monday and Thursday, right?  I though Monday's run came in good for the last week of Jan into Feb?

I was reading Paul's column on Accuweather early this morning that included this:

"European weeklies are showing a scare during the middle to late parts of the month compared to the forecast we have shown the past couple of days. They are going all-out on warmth for weeks three and four. I am not buying the extreme. I believe that there is mild weather late six- to 10- into 11- to 15-day period period, but then fronts will move through from time to time leading to more back and forth later in January. So it may not be extremely cold in the East, but I am not buying the look overall of the European."

zzh0Wm4.jpg

25 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

I was reading Paul's column on Accuweather early this morning that included this:

"European weeklies are showing a scare during the middle to late parts of the month compared to the forecast we have shown the past couple of days. They are going all-out on warmth for weeks three and four. I am not buying the extreme. I believe that there is mild weather late six- to 10- into 11- to 15-day period period, but then fronts will move through from time to time leading to more back and forth later in January. So it may not be extremely cold in the East, but I am not buying the look overall of the European."

zzh0Wm4.jpg

Gotcha.  Yeah, I agree, that does look horrible.

Archived