Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm a bit less pessimistic than that lol but yeah, point taken. More like 2nd and 15 at the 50 to me. Not great odds but still in position to make something happen. 

You sound like you're chasing a big dog iyby though ;) 

I don't know I think some are being optimistic based on the gfs. Problem is it seems to be on its own in ejecting a decent sw from the west.  It's not that it's gfs v euro. It's gfs v everything. Honestly if it was the euro totally on its own I'd still be very skeptical. The pattern setup isn't bad at all but the way everything gets washed out coming in off the pacific looks like a problem to me. Sometimes you spend all day setting up the table nice only to realize the food sucks.  As for what I'm chasing, I'd be happy if I came out of this period with at least a respectable moderate event. Maybe a 4" snow type thing. Keep in mind my climo is a bit different from many in here. While it's been bad in the urban corridor we're really in trouble up here (given average up here is around 38") if I'm heading into late January or feb with less then a few inches total. Climo up here says we should be way ahead of where we are now. My expectations are biased by location. Getting less then 15" is almost unheard of up here. That's like a below 5" year in D.C.  But if I'm heading into feb with nothing or close to nothing that's looking very possible.  The fact I've had basically nothing and that's a lot more rare up here so far, and looking at how bleak things might be for a while after this next 10 days really raises what I'm looking for out of this. I know that's not logical but it's just how I feel. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS says forget wave 2. Much less support than last night and last night wasn't very good either. 

Wave 1 might get us our first inch though. 

It mostly killed wave one too though. A small group manages some meager totals with it but the majority are mostly nada with wave one also. It was a pretty awful run in all. I can't find any positive to spin it. 

I'm definitely being optimistic based on the GFS, but I have some reasons for it. One, there is literally no other hope after this period. Two, it's not like the other models are THAT far off from a possible GFS solution. Three, the GFS has been fairly consistent on the big storm idea for someone. Four, the GFS and NAM are closely aligned in the early-going. Five, the GFS seems to have done decent this winter and the Euro no longer seems like the King it used to be. But I admit that chances are not great.

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I'm definitely being optimistic based on the GFS, but I have some reasons for it. One, there is literally no other hope after this period. Two, it's not like the other models are THAT far off from a possible GFS solution. Three, the GFS has been fairly consistent on the big storm idea for someone. Four, the GFS and NAM are closely aligned in the early-going. Five, the GFS seems to have done decent this winter and the Euro no longer seems like the King it used to be. But I admit that chances are not great.

I can agree with most of that except the others not being far off. The euro camp isn't close. They are worlds apart on the energy coming out and cowherd close to a storm threat. We will know soon as the critical differences start in only 48 hours. 

It's good to see the NAM on our side in the short range. Hopefully the GFS holds steady tonight on the big storm idea. I do like that the Euro is getting away from the 1st wave idea, although it didn't have any good implications this run it might on the future runs. 

49 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Can't punt, have you seen the pattern coming after?  At least for the next 3 weeks or so. It may be 4th and 10 at our own 20 yard line, but there is one minute left and we're down 7 with no timeouts. Punting is not an option. 

Ehhhhh it just seems easier to punt it now than the disappointment that, by past trends, seems to be 80% likely, lol But I understand your point about the upcoming pattern, but...personally, I might start hedging my bets on Feb. And, how often do we actually get a decent storm this early in January? 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

FWIW, I compared the 12z NAM at 500 to 12z GFS.  They were different too. Didn't know if you guys knew but the LR NAM is less than reliable.

Yeah its just a bit outside of its range lol. For S&G I just looked at the 18z NAM at hr 84. It leaves a weak piece of energy behind, but nothing like the GFS. Looks like it would align more with the Euro to me.

56 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't know I think some are being optimistic based on the gfs. Problem is it seems to be on its own in ejecting a decent sw from the west.  It's not that it's gfs v euro. It's gfs v everything. Honestly if it was the euro totally on its own I'd still be very skeptical. The pattern setup isn't bad at all but the way everything gets washed out coming in off the pacific looks like a problem to me. Sometimes you spend all day setting up the table nice only to realize the food sucks.  As for what I'm chasing, I'd be happy if I came out of this period with at least a respectable moderate event. Maybe a 4" snow type thing. Keep in mind my climo is a bit different from many in here. While it's been bad in the urban corridor we're really in trouble up here (given average up here is around 38") if I'm heading into late January or feb with less then a few inches total. Climo up here says we should be way ahead of where we are now. My expectations are biased by location. Getting less then 15" is almost unheard of up here. That's like a below 5" year in D.C.  But if I'm heading into feb with nothing or close to nothing that's looking very possible.  The fact I've had basically nothing and that's a lot more rare up here so far, and looking at how bleak things might be for a while after this next 10 days really raises what I'm looking for out of this. I know that's not logical but it's just how I feel. 

This is the most reasonable post I've read all day. Kudos!

Archived