Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ensembles have converged on a notsogreat pattern mid month. And by notsogreat I mean snow will be really hard to come by. The troubling piece is the large area of low heights around AK. That's a pac air pump into the conus. A logical way out would be building heights/ridge in the PNA region. Weeklies showed that and the GEFS has hinted a few times. 

0z EPS finally went solidly AN temps d11-15 after sending mixed signals for a while. Fingers crossed that we can get on the board before that. Going into late Jan with a shutout stacks the odds greatly against climo+ on the season during non-nino years. 

Yea I posted about that the other day right before the big gfs run hit.  I don't think the bad look lasts that long.  But we're probably looking at a 7-10 day period of ugly. Hopefully we score before then and are back in a good look by Jan 25th. If so this can be a decent year. Get unlucky in the next 10 days and have the +epo look longer a week longer and we could be looking at a bad year.  I can see it going either way at this point. 

2 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

That was always my worry.  This shot is gonna have to work cause we're going into another not so great period. 

For a while the relaxation looked mostly like the trough in the west raising heights in the east so I wasn't overly concerned because Cold would be plentiful in western canada/conus. Now it looks like a full scouring. That takes time to reset no matter what. It took a full 2 weeks back in Dec just to start setting things up again so in reality it was a 3 week relaxation. Jan can be friendlier with temps but for right now the LR patterns is pretty ugly. 

30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This reminds me a little of a situation a few years ago where we had two waves spaced close and people in the D.C. Area and south were rooting on wave 1, and they did end up getting 3-5" D.C. South with it, but I just wanted that out of the way because wave two had big dog potential. I think this might have more potential for both then that did if wave one tracks correctly and skirts out quick. But we don't want wave one amplifying too much. 

Lol - I had literally already been thinking of that and your posts from then - hoping we don't repeat that fiasco with these two waves 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

IF the system is as healthy as the gfs shows I'm not worried about it being forced out south. The bigger problem would be if it's a weaker strung out system like the euro ggem look. 

Yep, too many newbies in here

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Euro still has nothing that even remotely resembles the strong shortwave on the gfs @ 96. It won't be a good run.

Right. I know this is Banter-ish...but in my experience of following wx models for 15+ years. Over the next 48 hours we're going to see either the GFS or EURO concede to one or the other, and from experience I'd say 80% of the time it is the GFS that concedes, but once in a while it does happen. I mean the EURO is going to have to drastically change to show anything like the GFS is showing.

FWIW anybody have the 12z JMA? Ji? 

Archived