Newest Member
    Toothache
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm ok if gfs simply keeps the look of a healthy second wave ejecting from the west into the plains. From there we have a shot. Euro solution is all mucked up even by then with a strung out mess with no hope of doing much coming out at that time and a further north initial wave just to make sure it has no shot. The differences are pretty extreme fairly early on.  Get a healthy system coming out and as can do the whole model watching trends thing to the end. If it moves towards the euro idea it's game over. 

This is pretty much what I've been focusing on since 0z.  Just keep a healthy wave intact and we can get the details later.  Would be nice if we could get a neutral tilt before the MS river.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The spacing should provide a little more ridging in between. Looks like a compromise between 0z and 6z. 

Yea on top of exact location of the shortwave either a stronger short or create a bit more spacing between waves could get the job done too. I would argue the last two are more important then exactly where the system comes in at. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Para is apparently verifying better @ h5. But that probably doesn't mean much beyond d5. 

It has overall been somewhat of a mixed bag, but I agree that at the time ranges in play here, it's probably unlikely that it would perform systematically better.

And to answer Always in Z's question earlier, yes, it's frozen.    The official evaluation period is underway, so it has to be frozen.

Just now, Bob Chill said:

That was a good compromise between 0z/6z. Good run to run consistency in general. Now it's time for the euro to squash our hopes and dreams. 

I'm don't see that this time.

I think this is coming much further north before it's all over.  Hopefully not too far.  With that sw in the west looking that healthy and that strong, with further spacing from the first wave, the heights in the ne better be as low as advertised or it's coming on up, earlier.

1 minute ago, high risk said:

It has overall been somewhat of a mixed bag, but I agree that at the time ranges in play here, it's probably unlikely that it would perform systematically better.

And to answer Always in Z's question earlier, yes, it's frozen.    The official evaluation period is underway, so it has to be frozen.

Thanks... I thought it was frozen, though one point in December I heard a couple of conflicting things on that. 

Not sure how it plays out but it's a win to me. From here we have a good shot. And it has room to adjust north a tad looking at h5. Gfs jumps the low south about 100 miles over Texas and that seems a bit fishy. Just looking at the h5 loop so far I like the look and could see room for a slight north adjustment back to something like the 0z look. As it is I think the southern 75% of this forum will like the run. 

I'll be fringed as usual :)

Not sure how it plays out but it's a win to me. From here we have a good shot. And it has room to adjust north a tad looking at h5. Gfs jumps the low south about 100 miles over Texas and that seems a bit fishy. Just looking at the h5 loop so far I like the look and could see room for a slight north adjustment back to something like the 0z look. As it is I think the southern 75% of this forum will like the run. 

I'll be fringed as usual

we need you to start showing concern over the sharp northern cutoff thats when we know we have an mecs on the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, psuhoffman said:

IF the system is as healthy as the gfs shows I'm not worried about it being forced out south. The bigger problem would be if it's a weaker strung out system like the euro ggem look. 

Yup..we know how this story goes being on the northern extent of heavy precip 5/6 days out.  I'm fine with this run.

Archived