joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. if you want to be crazy and parce details D.C. Southeast flirts with sleet for a while before going back to snow but this is almost a perfect run. Ideal track. The system is energetic but forced due east under the high and confluence at the perfect latitude. This h5 track is pretty classic. But listen to Randy. It's too soon to be celebrating anything. Plus it's one run. We want to see some support and consistency but this was a great run taken by itself. 

IMG_0094.PNG

True that its the first op to really show a MECS but guidance has been hinting at this for several days now. The pattern Jan 6-9 as progged has been very favorable and minor adjustments can still lead to huge changes. With that said, we could still crap the bed during that period but I like where we are attm.

NC and Southern VA is the target for 06z GFS... DC receives maybe a few inches but it is a close miss to the south.

Low dug deeper... instead of being in heartland and riding off the coast of NC, it runs the gulf coast and redevelops a low just a tad bit too far off the NC coast for our area.

23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Nice 50-50 low now showing up on the 6z run. 500mb has me salivating:

Thats the low from the lead wave and it is literally racing northward through the 50-50 position. Not sure how much it helps when its moving so fast. Works well when its stationary under a block. There is no block.

Will be interesting to see the GEFS members. We were very close to a very good solution with this run. An extension of the PV driving deeper into the lakes didn't give this shortwave enough room to turn up. Slow that down a little or it doesn't dig as deep and I think we see that low run up the coast as we see better upper level support.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

EPS favors a less suppressed storm track than the op. Snowfall mean is modest but decent, around 2" or so across the area.

The old GFS had a habit of suppression and I think the newer improved model has that same tendency though not to the same degree. We saw this play out a couple of weeks ago where it had a strung out mess riding across Florida and Georgia in the mid to long range only to eventually verify as a consolidated low off of the outer banks. That being said I don't think suppression will be the issue if things go wrong with this.

15 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Yeah, wow. 0z Para is crazy. Do we know anything about that model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the upgraded version of the GFS, which is still being tested/tweaked/refined before being rolled out formally.

That's my understanding, anyway, although I thought it was supposed to be live by now...

33 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The old GFS had a habit of suppression and I think the newer improved model has that same tendency though not to the same degree. We saw this play out a couple of weeks ago where it had a strung out mess riding across Florida and Georgia in the mid to long range only to eventually verify as a consolidated low off of the outer banks. That being said I don't think suppression will be the issue if things go wrong with this.

Agreed.

Will be interesting to see the GEFS members. We were very close to a very good solution with this run. An extension of the PV driving deeper into the lakes didn't give this shortwave enough room to turn up. Slow that down a little or it doesn't dig as deep and I think we see that low run up the coast as we see better upper level support.

Isnt that PV extension attempting to phase in with our sw? I think we saw the para hinting at this yesterday with it's closed bomb low off the SE coast no? Ala January 2000?

18 minutes ago, TowsonWeather said:

It's the upgraded version of the GFS, which is still being tested/tweaked/refined before being rolled out formally.

That's my understanding, anyway, although I thought it was supposed to be live by now...

It's definitely live if an organization is publishing it's data feed.  

The differences last night are apparent early on starting around hour 48-60. The biggest difference I see is the interaction our main player is having with a secondary disturbance upstream from the trough. On the 0z run, the energy off the West Coast has slightly more interaction with the disturbance leading to it being held back and slightly stronger at H5 compared to its 6z counter part. This allows for the energy to eject east a little faster, but the consolidation of the energy at 0z carrying through the CONUS helped keep the system not only more robust, but the implications upstream led to the secondary disturbance being stronger, slightly higher height rises through Alaska leading to a push downstream of the area confluence further south, allowing the shortwave to be slightly further south and bombing at lower latitudes. 

19 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Isnt that PV extension attempting to phase in with our sw? I think we saw the para hinting at this yesterday with it's closed bomb low off the SE coast no? Ala January 2000?

At this point there is a good deal of separation between the two to hope for a phase. Not to mention we would want to see that extension much deeper and behind the shortwave. Think that the chances are better and we are better off at this point hoping that the shortwave has room to amplify on its own. 

At this point there is a good deal of separation between the two to hope for a phase. Not to mention we would want to see that extension much deeper and behind the shortwave. Think that the chances are better and we are better off at this point hoping that the shortwave has room to amplify on its own. 

I see it now with the 500mb loop. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

I still like to compare apples with apples and in this case that means comparing 0z with the upcoming 12z. I know I know, I've read multiple times on this board there is not any difference between the off runs and the 0z and 12z but it seems to me that there are, especially when we're not locked in yet to a probable solution.

Archived