Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

With the amount of spread on the ops and ensembles we really don't even know which shortwave has potential let alone how it evolves. 

Major timing diffs on that energy ejecting from the NW US Coast. That appears to me to be the biggest culprit with the tough forecast during the Jan 6-9 period imho.

I just like the track thru 150 hours....actually LOVE it.....NW Colorado to the far Western OK Panhandle area, down thru Amarillo to Dallas to New Orleans then to the NE GOMex. If that sucker would have tilted and come North...BOOM! Maybe hoping for too much of a good thing but that is a juicy track anyway for early January thru 150 hours! I am going to enjoy this tease for 6 more hours now.

22 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

I assume that it would be in the realm of near-impossibility for any tropical activity to be taking place at this time of year, right? 

Well, not necessarily though would be quite rare in the Atlantic basin for sure. It could be a subtropical system perhaps. Trying to recall when the last named tropical system was in the record breaking 2005 season, when we got into the Greek alphabet for names. I think it was late December 2005 or early January 2006.

ETA: Just checked and indeed there was tropical storm Zeta that formed Dec. 30, 2005 and dissipated Jan. 6, 2006, and is the longest lived tropical system into January in the Atlantic basin. 

11 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well, not necessarily though would be quite rare in the Atlantic basin for sure. It could be a subtropical system perhaps. Trying to recall when the last named tropical system was in the record breaking 2005 season, when we got into the Greek alphabet for names. I think it was late December 2005 or early January 2006.

Diddnt we have a hurricane in January last year?

49 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Ridging out West isn't bad.....just need it to be NOT as broad which flattens the flow downstream and prevents further amplification. Actually really close to being something here. If you loop 500mb some minor adjustments with the ridge out West and the trof axis in the East and this is a bigger potential. Cool run anyway. It will change in 6 hours tho. 

It's not a linear good bad thing. If we had short wavelengths and enough ridging out west then it's good as it digs the trough sharper to the east and something can bomb up the coast. But if the wavelengths are broad and flat then no ridging out west is better then some as it beats down the se ridge, and in a broad flat trough we actually need the se ridge to force a gradient type waa storm up to our latitude. There is no one size fits all. Right now we're kind of stuck in between what we need. The setups close but there is just enough western ridge to crush the se ridge but not enough to sharpen the trough and allow something to come up that way. We're literally in no mans land. A trend either way would work but given the way it's going maybe at this point more western ridge and a deeper sharper trough is the way to root here. That's been the trend lately. Still a lot of time to see how this goes. 

50 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

With the amount of spread on the ops and ensembles we really don't even know which shortwave has potential let alone how it evolves. 

Bingo. But the general pattern is there. The problem is the guidance is ejecting multiple weak shorts out of the west. Most are running into the flat trough and washing out. They can't agree on which if any will survive and find room to amplify at all. Those minor differences create this see saw with surface looks in the 5-10 day period. But their all a product of the overall pattern. We just have to hope something does eject fully with enough energy during that time so we don't waste a pretty good 5 day window. The window could be 7 days depending how fast it breaks down. Everything's split about 50/50 weather there is enough cold left when something comes along as the pattern breaks down around the 10-13th

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sure would be nice to see a trend for the better. Every ens run is on again off again for a few days now. 

Usually you have a feel where the weather is going over the next 5-7.  Right now, I have no idea.  I'm traveling to Knoxville Sat morning.  No clue if that trip is even going to happen.

I mentioned it yesterday and will say it again.....I realize guidance has made improvements over the past 17 years, but damn if this doesn't have that late January 2000 feel to it. Fast flow, energy pieces ejecting out of the West Coast, ridge trying to emerge out West, model mayhem 5-7 days out, different models keying on different shortwaves with drastically different solutions, hints on guidance here and there that something 'could' pop off the SE Coast. I remember being in a similar position back then at this range.....we were saying there were "slight improvements" with each suite while others claimed we were imagining things and the pattern wouldn't allow a storm to come N/NNE off the GA/SC coast. Not calling for any sort of a repeat, but never say never and dont assume anything is off the table, especially at this range with cold air poised to be in place in the NE or at least ready to be tapped and the flow buckling. Any time I see a slp over the GOMex with a buckle in the N Jet over the NE, I pay attention. Our juiciest systems emerge from that area then re-emerge off the SE Coast and head N/NE/NNE. Even without blocking and with a fast mover, the right trajectory of a storm taking that sort of track can often dump a decent amount of precipitation in a short time. While no model is calling for a SECS or MECS, given the trends this season so far, the Jan 6-9 period holds our best potential to date. But as that one guy says, "You can't shovel potential".

Archived