joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January is an unparalleled disaster after this cold shot, starting around 1/10 or 1/11 according to ECMWF for mid atlantic.

I expect to see lots and lots of bridge jumping winter cancel posts starting the next day or two.

Did anyone here really expect 4 straight > avg snow winters here? 

8 minutes ago, wxw said:

January is an unparalleled disaster after this cold shot, starting around 1/10 or 1/11 according to ECMWF for mid atlantic.

I expect to see lots and lots of bridge jumping winter cancel posts starting the next day or two.

A big cluster of the EPS have snow day 10-15. But thanks for playing pick up your consolation prize on your way out the door. 

10 minutes ago, wxw said:

You'll be able to watch the jumpers from the bottom.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Interesting afternoon AFD from LWX re long range... states that ensembles vary from being dry to having moderately heavy precipitation event Thurs into Friday and the OPs GFS and EURO are swinging back and forth like a pendulum 

Gfs is more like Elaine's dance moves on Seinfeld 

It sure would do everyone a lot of good if we can get on the board with something. Anything. Maybe crack an advisory level event. Difficult to make much assessment in the next couple weeks but I'm not convinced that we'll stay shut out in that time. I don't know how well the upcoming flow pattern would support it, but maybe we can score a clipper in there perhaps? 

14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Was looking at the ensembles in the SE forum.  Only one shut out member for us  through 384.  Just thought I'd mention it.  

This mornings gefs was ok but not as good as the snow plots and mean would lead. It's back to an example of a false positive. Even though the mean is 5-6" about what's it's been lately it's now spread out evenly over 3 threats. Day 5-6, 7-8, and 10-13. The problem is we aren't in the highest impact zone for any. If you take each threat individually the majority of the members miss. The first two threats are mostly misses to the southeast and the last a slight majority miss to the northwest (that's actually the best threat right now if something ejects quickly enough before the cold erodes).  Up until now the cold has been over estimated but this week it has trended stronger to the point we're looking at a cold dry stretch possibly. If that trend continues that day 10 threat could become a better look. Still too far out. 

The 5.5" mean comes from the outliers that manage to either fringe us or the couple members that offer a flush hit from one of the waves. So they cobble together a good looking average but each system taken as an individual is likely to fail.

That said it's not total doom, just because a similar scenario failed in December doesn't guarantee the same result. Having multiple low prob chances is better then having one. Given enough chances eventually you tend to get lucky. So I'm not poo pooing the period totally just saying today's 5-6" mean is not as good a look as a couple days ago with the same number.  

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

It sure would do everyone a lot of good if we can get on the board with something. Anything. Maybe crack an advisory level event. Difficult to make much assessment in the next couple weeks but I'm not convinced that we'll stay shut out in that time. I don't know how well the upcoming flow pattern would support it, but maybe we can score a clipper in there perhaps? 

Youre right. We need to break the ice by the 10th or else it will start to get very frustrating. Things still could turn out very good but it's a coin flip now. A clipper would be totally acceptable but there doesn't seem to be a strong signal for one so hopefully something can just pop up unexpected.

1 minute ago, HighStakes said:

Youre right. We need to break the ice by the 10th or else it will start to get very frustrating. Things still could turn out very good but it's a coin flip now. A clipper would be totally acceptable but there doesn't seem to be a strong signal for one so hopefully something can just pop up unexpected.

Yeah not sure it's the best look for a clipper. Don't you need more of a +PNA signal to really get one of those? 

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah not sure it's the best look for a clipper. Don't you need more of a +PNA signal to really get one of those? 

Yes the flow is too flat to really get something to dig down this far from Canada which is the classic clipper.  What we're looking at is a few day window where we need something to ride east along the baroclinoc boundary and amplify enough to create enough waa lift. After that we want something to eject fast from the west as the pattern relaxes and hope there is a high still hanging around so we either get a front thump on a west track or force it to miller b transfer under us. Clippers aren't really a threat in this pattern. 

Archived