Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Kinda backs up a post I made earlier. It seems the troposphere is doing the dirty work first instead of the other way around. 

Getting sustained blocking does not require a SSWE to happen first. I'm liking everything I've seen this week. 

That was a good point and it may have been prophetic. Sometimes we get stuck looking for the way we expect things to go and miss what's happening right in front of us.  It's not always complicated. Others were making a good argument that the h5 had to be wrong because the current PV at upper levels doesn't support it but when guidance keeps showing the same thing why not the possibility that the h5 is right and the other levels are about to change. Still not sure of anything but there are some good signs right now. 

8 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

If only that wasn't also ice and sleet... :(

Yea the gefs snow mean on wxbell is skewed high but it was still a big jump up from the last few runs that were also skewed by ice so it's a good run. Glass half full. 

ETA the 3 members that miss us with appreciable snow do so by suppressing things to our south not cutting west. Blocking keeps getting better run to run. The ridge everyone was worried about long range is beat down more each run. It's a good run.  There really isn't any "but" to it. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea the gefs snow mean on wxbell is skewed high but it was still a big jump up from the last few runs that were also skewed by ice so it's a good run. Glass half full. 

I'm not sure it's skewed that high anymore. It seems like the resolution issues work both ways. I've seen good tracks and a rain snow line that seemed too far north when considering the hp placement and slp track. But it's pretty dumb to split hairs over this stuff. The main point is the d8-16 window in its entirety looked good. Many of those member panels included 2 or even 3 events.

Not saying I think we're about to get blasted or anything. Just pointing out that the trend for an extended window seems to be going in the right direction. Eps mean high temps never crack 40 @ kgai and d15 is colder than d13-14. Eps also has additional snow chances in the mix d12-15. Good times. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Kinda backs up a post I made earlier. It seems the troposphere is doing the dirty work first instead of the other way around. 

Getting sustained blocking does not require a SSWE to happen first. I'm liking everything I've seen this week. 

Hmmm, reading that Twitter thread seems to indicate that the Atlantic side is more favorable than the Pacific to have effects on the Strat via the Troposphere via a Atlantic wave flux which according to Jason Furtado and I qoute him, "     matches well for wave-2 forcing precursor. Pacific sector less so "

Anyone else wish they lived in a world where day-7 was reality.  ... and I don't think it is just selective memory. Hoping for the best. We're do for an early January dumping but mid-January is ok too. 

Median NAEFS precip at DCA on the 7th is now ~5mm.  Looks cold from the 5th through 10th and then the ensembles are all over the place.  Highs on the 14th range from 18 to 68. 

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/EPSgrams_e.html 

Despite being hopeful the models will hold serve, I'll refrain from putting the snow plows on my Kubota until we're inside of 36 hours and you all are going bonkers.  If I succumb to the temptation now and install the plows, it will be a sure bet we don't get diddly.  Just hoping one of the waves on the forecast radar pans out...

18 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Does any one  know if todays euro prcip map is posted in the previous pages.. and if so what page?  

It was a crap ton of qpf but not all snow in the cities. The all snow line was about leesburgh to my area.  In the cities it was about 6-10" then sleet more nw less SE but it's 8 days away so it's going to change a dozen times by then. 

Archived