Newest Member
    amirah5
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

April 1-2 2001 wasn't a big wind event...just a long duration 2 ft snow event over 3 days. This would be more similar to the event that sunk the Ocean Ranger Oil Rig on the evening of Feb 14th, 1987 and caused a major blizzard in the city, but had some mixing during. 

I vaguely recall an article from Environment Canada about that event that included sustained 90 kph winds with gusts way above 100.  Maybe that was on the west part of the island, which got little snow?  Also, that St. John's had something like 25 mm RA followed by 47 cm snow.  More clearly I recall that we had been forecast for 12"+ from a storm that was supposed to be stronger than the one that dumped 19" on March 30-31 and boosted my snowpack to 48" - track shifted east and hammered Nfld while we got nothing.

Good for your area, Not so much here, We need it tracking into the GOM, But that would be a rainer for you.

Yeah our locations it's challenging to jack at both however this first storm if the secondary can get going soon enough and glide through the gulf of Maine just se of Yarmouth, it might do it.

17 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Yeah our locations it's challenging to jack at both however this first storm if the secondary can get going soon enough and glide through the gulf of Maine just se of Yarmouth, it might do it.

The first one yes, As its moving NNE and off the coast to your area, Its the coastal ones that move along the eastern seaboard, If they take a more NNE track from the BM, Then its more favorable here then a NE or ENE from 40/70

54 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Hazey which storm is that for?  The Wednesday storm next week?  Also the 00z GFS run showed a snowstorm on Christmas Day.

Really James...Christmas day is 16 days from now...of course it shows a snowstorm it's the 384hr GFS.  C'mon man, to even say that at this lead time is almost ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Monday's storm doesn't really interest me all that much.  More of the appetizer variety.  I was slightly intrigued by the Wednesday night and Thursday system and the GFS has added to that intrigue.  Will be something to watch

Reminds me of Dec 2013. First storm got lots of hype, wound up being snow-to-mix at the coast and didn't amount to much (although more inland). Second store flew under the radar, then dropped half a foot of cold powder on BOS (and royally screwed up rush hour; IIRC Route 2 was closed for several hours as people couldn't get started after stopping for the light on the hill up to Tracey's Corner).

Of course, there was a 60˚ torch three or four days later, so maybe we don't want to replicate that too much.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro has no storm mid week

It's not even close either...kind of weird since all the other guidance has something. It will be interesting to see if this is a casw where the Euro is sniffing that out. It's not that far out either...about 120-132 hours.

It's not even close either...kind of weird since all the other guidance has something. It will be interesting to see if this is a casw where the Euro is sniffing that out. It's not that far out either...about 120-132 hours.

It's there it's just that this run is for Nick. Nice YYT shellacking.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

What does the EPS show for midweek storm?  And is the gfs ensembles as bullish as the Op?  

4 minutes ago, leesun said:

What does the EPS show for midweek storm?  And is the gfs ensembles as bullish as the Op?  

Not much of anything for mid-week on EPS...GEFS def show it. The ensembles are essentially just following the OP more or less. Just a bit more muted look since it is a mean.

I didn't realize how far out he was until I just looked at a map....dudes practically in Reykjavik..jesus.

So yea, i could see how not close for us is a monster for him.

He can see Reykjavik from his place I bet...lol. Cape Race is just down the road. The most eastern point of North America. They collect all the storms we whiff on.

couple days back folks were musing about a 'model war' of sorts...

i'd say if we closed the book right this moment, and called the system as it looks now?   probably be a no-win tie really. 

i can see success and failure traits on both sides when being "fair" about expectations and relative source-bias.  

the euro had a stemwound monster in mn back on d10 but when doesn't it? then if it flip flopped all over the place for three days.  then the gfs was had like  2 or 3 runs back then that gave 30" of worcester.  heh. right.   then, 12 cycles in a row with a buffalo low and a triple point under deal.  

now that we're coming into 72-84 hours, there's definitely going to be SOMEthing happening monday morning...  we still got some ironing of details to mull over but this type of flow regime is going to require that anyway. 

so all told, they're about tied i think.  we'll see how it all lands after -

Archived