Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hazey said:

Shocker. I know some folks(not you)are already planning the victory parade but I would hold off spiking the football. Lots of uncertainty as it's still 4days out.

Some of these small changes in canada and out west at H5 make for larger implications when it gets to NE on monday, I remain reserved for another day or two, I learned long ago about spiking balls at the 1 yard line

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's not impossible...I just wouldn't favor it. If the shortwave is strong enough and there's some weakness downstream, then it can happen.

With the strength and position of that high.. I just don't see it happening.  If I'm not mistaken , the GFS likes to weaken these highs and slam warming into stout entrenched cold. Isn't it notorious for that?

regardless of what it all means for x-y-z ...this is a stormy ass run.

man

but, even if that more amped solution finds a way to successfully squeeze through the physics of an uber compressed field and actually verify, you can gamble big money that no warm air penetrates the cold air over the larger chunk of sne proper.  it doesn't work that way... it's either all snow, or...snow to mix to freezing rain ending as a back side lock down.

move the high off to a 'nother position and we'll talk, otherwise,... no warm.  period.

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

regardless of what it all means for x-y-z ...this is a stormy ass run.

man

but, even if that more amped solution finds a way to successfully squeeze through the physics of an uber compressed field and actually verify, you can gamble big money that no warm air penetrates the cold air over the larger chunk of sne proper.  it doesn't work that way... it's either all snow, or...snow to mix to freezing rain ending as a back side lock down.

move the high off to a 'nother position and we'll talk, otherwise,... no warm.  period.

Yeah we do know the GFS bias with cruising surface lows into dense arctic highs...a bias independent of whether the shortwave becomes more amped or not.

snowing to beat the band right now, good squall putting down grains and grapu, gusty winds to boot! looks like Albany keeps upping the ante for the Monday Tuesday Wednesday ordeal...we shall see. If it produces what is currently forcast, i will half half of my total output from last seasons total.

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

what's a stemwinder

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A nice, wound up, classic Northeast storm

We like

WRT how it is used in the NE forums I tend to define a stemwinder as a wound up cutter plowing a sub-980mb blizzard into Detroit while we have showers and torching winds out of the SE.

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

WRT how it is used in the NE forums I tend to define a stemwinder as a wound up cutter plowing a sub-980mb blizzard into Detroit while we have showers and torching winds out of the SE.

Yeah, I don't consider a stemwinder a Nor easter either

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No...that's just what it is within the context of this particular regime.....but a stemwinder in general is just a strong, wound up storm.

You millennial's don't know what it means to play in nature in the woods and wind a stem... it's just a metaphor for wound up really tight and thus deeply. The reason why the metaphor works is because when you wind a stem really tightly like an apple stem you can see how it's torqued and turn and screwed really really tightly.  

doesn't matter where it is it's in the low that's wound up really tight

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

You millennial's don't know what it means to play in nature in the woods and wind a stem... it's just a metaphor for wound up really tight and thus deeply. The reason why the metaphor works is because when you wind a stem really tightly like an apple stem you can see how it's torqued and turn and screwed really really tightly

Exactly.

Archived