Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

I ordered a Toro corded electric from Home Depot.  15 amp, 18 inches wide, will do about 10 inches of depth at a time.  It will mean multiple passes when we get the big ones, but it is compact and lightweight.  Driveway is long, but not that wide, so I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Thank you!  Smaller size makes for easier storage.  My garage space is limited.

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wish I could find the paper...I posted it back on eastern many moons ago....but during one of those jan 1994 events, there was an elevated warm layer around 725mb that intruded into the south shore region near Weymouth/Norwell/Marshfield area but the temps not far below that were still frigid cold...like -10C to -12C at 900mb...and the flow in the BL was from the NE despite probably ripping southwest above 850mb....anyways, what happened for a few short hours was that the old NZW (Weymouth naval air station) was reporting the rare "heavy snow with sleet" ob (typically any snow mixed with sleet raises vis well above a quarter mile)...the sleet was all synoptic, but they were getting heavy snow from the dendrite production below the elevated warm layer on OES contribution. The paper goes into the mechanics well, but it's fascinating. Synoptic sleet, but then low level flow from the NE off the water with temps around -10 to -12C in the BL producing mesoscale heavy ocean effect snow.

I remember that in Brockton. We had exactly that. Now that, is dumbfounding. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's more of a true EPO ridge now vs biased toward the WPO region. Look at the height difference in AK too at like D13 or 14 compared to D15 a couple days ago...trending much higher. Fast pattern breakdown FTL...

Should keep us on our toes with multiple threats rounding the base.

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Send them to Scooter...he loves ensemble snow maps...he's dying to see them.

He never met a clown map he didn't like...lol.

Fun 12Z suite today.  I feel pretty confident of at least plowable snow with this setup.  1970 here we come!  I can still see a young boyish Bruce Schwoegler standing in front of his hand drawn map likening each pulse of snow to a rope someone shakes forming a little wave that travels.  Being on the good side of the gradient was just fine but like a lot of young posters, I was more interested in the big 12+ stemwinders.  I appreciate a pattern like this much more in the past 25 years.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wish I could find the paper...I posted it back on eastern many moons ago....but during one of those jan 1994 events, there was an elevated warm layer around 725mb that intruded into the south shore region near Weymouth/Norwell/Marshfield area but the temps not far below that were still frigid cold...like -10C to -12C at 900mb...and the flow in the BL was from the NE despite probably ripping southwest above 850mb....anyways, what happened for a few short hours was that the old NZW (Weymouth naval air station) was reporting the rare "heavy snow with sleet" ob (typically any snow mixed with sleet raises vis well above a quarter mile)...the sleet was all synoptic, but they were getting heavy snow from the dendrite production below the elevated warm layer on OES contribution. The paper goes into the mechanics well, but it's fascinating. Synoptic sleet, but then low level flow from the NE off the water with temps around -10 to -12C in the BL producing mesoscale heavy ocean effect snow.

I'm guessing Jan. 17-18.  The evening of the 17th it was about 5F in Gardiner, Maine with gritty/rimey +SN, while Rockland was 40s with SE gales.  The snow was such that outside lights screened from direct view had vertical columns of refracted light - looked like searchlight beams.  Temps to the NE popped above 32 for a couple hours then plunged to subzero readings over the next 12.  I-95 between BGR and Newport had immovable (even by grader) ice chunks up to 4" thick, making travel over 10-15 mph hazardous to one's health, car's health as well.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Fun 12Z suite today.  I feel pretty confident of at least plowable snow with this setup.  1970 here we come!  I can still see a young boyish Bruce Schwoegler standing in front of his hand drawn map likening each pulse of snow to a rope someone shakes forming a little wave that travels.  Being on the good side of the gradient was just fine but like a lot of young posters, I was more interested in the big 12+ stemwinders.  I appreciate a pattern like this much more in the past 25 years.

These patterns can be a ton of fun if you end up on the right side...getting multiple events within a one week period. Jan '94 is kind of an extreme example...but Dec '70 and more recently Dec '07 is a good one. It's never boring...it is always fun to be tracking another event before the current one ends.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Was it a rope or his rope that was pulsing and shaking?

These patterns to me are much better than one big storm that may or not hit with the goods. You're pretty much guaranteed snow in this pattern and it gives you multiple events to track and look forward to.

Archived