Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Ridiculous. Almost abandons the first wave, and the end result looks like the Euro from like 36 hours ago.

Really strong isentropic lift though New England with this GFS run though. 

That's a pretty nice hammering for the pike region 96-102...I like the high position. I know for some it is taboo...but I wouldn't be that opposed to thumping and then sleeting/ZRing a bit into the pack. After two miserable Decembers in a row, I really want a white Christmas this year and a fortified snow pack is the best way to do it.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Secondary south it seems.

Yeah that is a classic synoptic look to have a secondary sfc reflection track over CC/Islands/SE MA.

Anyways, we'll see how other guidance trends. The one constant in the guidance trends over the past 24 hours has been a more favorable high position...they have all kind of been screwing around with exactly how to handle the shortwave ejecting out of the plains and OH Valley, but we've seen the CAD tendency trend stronger.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that is a classic synoptic look to have a secondary sfc reflection track over CC/Islands.

Anyways, we'll see how other guidance trends. The one constant in the guidance trends over the past 24 hours has been a more favorable high position...they have all kind of been screwing around with exactly how to handle the shortwave ejecting out of the plains and OH Valley, but we've seen the CAD tendency trend stronger.

Yeah that high improves position an swung NW thanks the mid and upper levels there. 

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks further NE to me?

It builds NW a bit thanks to the jet structure after being more ENE. Anyways, having a high in that position may still mean change to rain here, but I'd rather a 36F rain for a brief time vs 50 and wiping everything away.  Just something to watch.  

The stronger primary eventually bullies the high to the NE a bit...but before that happens, the high is actually stronger than 06z. That's what you want...the nuances in the ejecting shortwave after that will change things later in the game, but a good stout high at the onset is going to increase your front end thump potential with good frontogenesis with all that isentropic glide from the SW.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The stronger primary eventually bullies the high to the NE a bit...but before that happens, the high is actually stronger than 06z. That's what you want...the nuances in the ejecting shortwave after that will change things later in the game, but a good stout high at the onset is going to increase your front end thump potential with good frontogenesis with all that isentropic glide from the SW.

I'm looking at 00z for comparison.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_17.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_15.png

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you want that 950-850 upglide to be stout.  Bob, check out how as the low approaches, it sort of maintains and reorganizes north of Maine, not retreating east. Retreating highs are the killer this time of year. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was just going to say, Bob's not wrong, the high is NE, but it's stronger versus 06z. Compensates for the 20 mb stronger SLP wave.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah you want that 950-850 upglide to be stout.  Bob, check out how as the low approaches, it sort of maintains and reorganizes north of Maine, not retreating east. Retreating highs are the killer this time of year. 

Guess I'd personally like to see that H further S.

Archived