Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Canadian like Euro. No stemwinder like GFS . 2 waves. 2nd is stronger. High end advisory to low end earnings thru end of Monday.

Makes sense 

:lol:

Good luck up there

ETA: Day 9-10 storm ugly for all of us, but once again you guys get thumped before the rain

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Canadian like Euro. No stemwinder like GFS . 2 waves. 2nd is stronger. High end advisory to low end earnings thru end of Monday.

Makes sense 

I wouldn't exactly call the GFS a stemwinder...it's more amped obviously than GGEM/Euro/Ukie, but it gets a lot of resistance as it approaches NE with that high...and we see a secondary sfc reflection.

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Maybe 36-48 hours of snow/ice if that's right?

Ya that almost never happens like that...I would bet against anything like that duration.   99.9% of the time it doesn't precipitate continuously like that...even lightly, there is always a lull; and the lull is usually alot longer than you think.  

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

The stronger surface low is also creating stronger ageostrophic processes. Greater CAD and cold drain from the N, even if the high doesn't change much just because the low is stronger.

i'm kinda with Will's assessment of this run from a while ago - i'd characterize it as a longer duration of light snow/flurries --> a burst to moderate... --> light pings and zr N of the Pike ( with 33.4 drizzle for Tolland) ...followed by a concreting later on as that attenuating continental dumpage floods back in.. 

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wouldn't exactly call the GFS a stemwinder...it's more amped obviously than GGEM/Euro/Ukie, but it gets a lot of resistance as it approaches NE with that high...and we see a secondary sfc reflection.

The high placement overall in QC looks better today on models than it did yesterday. Even the GFS with a more wound up primary is very cold in the boundary layer on Monday... that's probably all snow/ice even down to HFD. 

one thing that's different about the leading set up compared to that 2008 event is that the 00z oper. Euro and now this 12z gfs both have sufficient 700 to 850 mb RH saturation streaming very far out ahead of the 'main impulse'...  this run of the gfs has grains and flurries in a general winter gray tint already at 84 hours...  2008 came in like a wall - that's very different actually.   we were partial sun at dawn, then it went clouds and S/S+ with extreme rapidity. 

it was like being on the phone at the office and looking up over the cubical and seeing it start snowing...then get off the call and walk to the bathroom and on the way back you can't see out the window. 

Scott - you almost gotta wonder if big ice is out there somewhere...  

not sure/aware of any case studies/papers out there about big ice and the sort of pattern/teleconnector evolutions and so forth that took place prior.  i suppose just looking at them case-by-case on one's own might help with that..  but, the general idea would seem to support icy scenarios with abundant se heights/heat available to lop over -epo syrup.  

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

one thing that's different about the leading set up compared to that 2008 event is that the 00z oper. Euro and now this 12z gfs both have sufficient 700 to 850 mb RH saturation streaming very far out ahead of the 'main impulse'...  this run of the gfs has grains and flurries in a general winter gray tint already at 84 hours...  2008 came in like a wall - that's very different actually.   we were partial sun at dawn, then it went clouds and S/S+ with extreme rapidity. 

it was like being on the phone at the office and looking up over the cubical and seeing it start snowing...then get off the call and walk to the bathroom and on the way back you can't see out the window. 

Yeah you are right...those previous events did come in like a wall...in this one we have that really weak frontrunning shortwave which will probably have the "snow overcast" sky all day on Sunday if not flurries or light snow later in the day before more meaningful precipitation moves in late at night.

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Scott - you almost gotta wonder if big ice is out there somewhere...  

not sure/aware of any case studies/papers out there about big ice and the sort of pattern/teleconnector evolutions and so forth that took place prior.  i suppose just looking at them case-by-case on one's own might help with that..  but, the general idea would seem to support icy scenarios with abundant se heights/heat available to lop over -epo syrup.  

Well in a very broad sense, cold pressing south and a SE ridge would be a recipe for someone.

Archived