Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i don't recall that specifically but sure... plenty of examples of how it seems to grope it's gotee in petty wait to f stuff up.

we're kidding of course -

February 14 set lots of cold records, including NYC's first subzero low since 1994.   I had -22 early on the 15th, and the 16th brought me an inch of rain and upper 40s.  One more lovely facet of "winter" 15-16.

Well a third of the GEFS are stemwinders too (including a 940 over New Brunswick). The mean is washed out because of timing issues more than anything.   There's a lot of energy in that vortex lobe spinning down, and a few of those members clearly latch onto that.

lol   That would be the "Dawn Awakening" storm?  Or White Juan West.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

That may be an understatement. I count something like 35-40 sub-980 mb lows near New England. Like 75% of members easily. Including a nice 955 mb St. Lawrence runner.

Yeah there's a lot of really amped up EPS members and a few amped up GEFS members.

It seems like this storm has the ability to amplify with the PV way back to the west. It seems like the pattern becomes much less conducive for stemwinder cutters after Monday. 

as i don't get to see individual eps members ... i wasn't commenting to Jerry about 'why' the euro/eps are in whole so much more amped.  his specific question was whether 51 members intrinsically means it's better...

to that, i was saying not necessarily so, and then offering some reasons why (conceptual).

it's also possible that the entire EPS system including the operational band-leader are just f wrong - sometimes that happens too.  but others have dutifully noted that it's still just a bit beyond the euro's wheel house so it'll be interesting see where it goes with that thing. 

i'd like to see a long cumulative score/verification of the recent gfs vs euro.  specifically those later middle range ...not sure we have that much data given to the youthfulness of this recent upgrade... but it seems in me-own mind's eye that the euro's been a tad more erratic in said time frame than the gfs...  could be off my rocker though -

22 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah there's a lot of really amped up EPS members and a few amped up GEFS members.

It seems like this storm has the ability to amplify with the PV way back to the west. It seems like the pattern becomes much less conducive for stemwinder cutters after Monday. 

I'd argue it already is... but that's me - ...flow's already too fast for my liking.  I mean, we're initializing models today with 9 or 10 isopleths between ord and mia!

good luck...it's not modeled to really change as the interim between spv's skirting through central canada leave the same playground in their wake... this 18 z run comes in and yeah, we chuck because it's 18 z and all that meme to do so... but it has the right idea in concept regardless of it's details.

Archived