Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hazey said:

My rule of thumb is if it looks weird, don't believe it. My guess is that when the individual ensemble members come out later, they will be all over the map. Both with position and timing.

Most likely...guidance will probably have trouble handling the details of a fast flow with multiple shortwaves embedded. I think the chance of some type of wintry event is getting pretty high, but the exact timing and details are below average confidence at this stage.

nah...there's nothing wrong with this operational gfs's solution relative to what this sort of pattern regime should yield...  (if one's expecations are just... you wouldn't grouse over 'flatter' and weak sauce..)

it starts light steady flurries and snow ...real (probably) holiday hearken look out of doors, ...at around 108 hours or so and would continue for 1-3" probably. 

i would also caution folks that this pattern will also bias timing error on the nearer sides.  contrasting, when the flow is meridional in structure, systems tend to get rushed?  this is the opposite of that. not talking days earlier or anything -

One thing to look for is how the position of the high trends...or the confluence ahead of the system. If we can trend that a bit NW more toward N ME, then that will help on two fronts...it will assist in locking in the low level cold better and it will also assist in aiding frontogenetic forcing as the isentropic lift occurs from the SW...so that would be one thing to root for if you are trying to maximize the snow out of this.

This seemed a little more relevant to this thread than the overall discussion. Despite what QPF may look like, the signal for a decent f-gen band thanks to initial WAA is not bad on the 12z GFS. So if we can trend the high in the right position that should only improve.

Archived