Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

9 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I hate winter so hard right now. Last night, under cover of darkness, I slipped and fell down the stairs, smashed my knee and bent my foot all to hell. Almost puked and passed out, then crawled back inside. lolz. Not sure if I broke anything... but I can't walk and will probably see a doctor tomorrow.

Probably time for me to get life alert.

I'm with you right now. I'm enjoying the torch January for the birds. It's a lot of work trying to keep everything clean this time of the year and these dinky light snow and sleet events are useless. The cold in Dec kinda sucked, but at least the snow came in larger chunks. I'm awaiting the next prolonged warmup after this upcoming cool down. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I think the Champlain Valley would be thrilled with a 5" pack in BTV land.

Interior VT has some decent depths all things considered though not deep winter.  Around here its 6-10" below 1,200ft on the east side per the spotters but more like 10-24" in interior VT, especially towards the NEK.

This map is a little too vibrant for me but gives you an idea.  I guess I just don't have the angst after years like last winter, or 2013-14 when it rained more inches in January than snow here and Philly had like 6 warning events.  Or even 14-15 when it was -20F and dry for like 2 months.  Just give me consistent snows and relatively comfortable mountains temps and we all good.

snowdepth.png

That's a very poor snowpack for valley areas and not exceptional in the mountains either. Having only 2-3" on the ground in Middlebury on January 29th would be kind of a shock.

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I hate winter so hard right now. Last night, under cover of darkness, I slipped and fell down the stairs, smashed my knee and bent my foot all to hell. Almost puked and passed out, then crawled back inside. lolz. Not sure if I broke anything... but I can't walk and will probably see a doctor tomorrow.

Oh s hit. Sorry man. Hope it's just a sprain. Keep us updated 

3 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Oh man good luck.

I know the feeling.  When I dislocated my knee in a fall I had the same experience...almost an immediate urge to puke and very light-headed.  That put me out of commission for 8-12 weeks.

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

That's a very poor snowpack for valley areas and not exceptional in the mountains either. Having only 2-3" on the ground in Middlebury on January 29th would be kind of a shock.

lol you don't know the CPV climo then.  I'll try to do some research later but I bet BTV has a snow depth of 0" at least once most winter months.

I never remember a snowpack that actually stuck around there except for after Valentines Day 2007.  Even that almost melted out prior to the St Patty's Day storm.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol you don't know the CPV climo then.  I'll try to do some research later but I bet BTV has a snow depth of 0" at least once most winter months.

I never remember a snowpack that actually stuck around there except for after Valentines Day 2007.  Even that almost melted out prior to the St Patty's Day storm.

Back when I used to get up to BTV more regularly it was fairly common for N ORH county to have a much deeper snowpack than the CPV. You'd see it dwindle pretty rapidly out of the mountains just past Bolton valley. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Back when I used to get up to BTV more regularly it was fairly common for N ORH county to have a much deeper snowpack than the CPV. You'd see it dwindle pretty rapidly out of the mountains just past Bolton valley. 

Yeah I'm looking through January data there and these are the average snow depths for January in BTV for the years listed:

2000...2.1"

2001...11.0"

2002...2.7"

2003...10.2"

2004...5.3"

2005...3.6"

2006...3.3"

2007...2.9"

2008...4.9"

2009...4.7"

Now I've lost interest haha, but almost all of these January's except for 2001 and 2003 had at least some time with 0-2" of depth.  And this was the snowiest decade on record for BTV from 2000-2010. 

I just don't think you can really judge anything by CPV snowpack except when its really high and then you can say yeah this is probably a real good winter when there's 10" or more on the ground in the valley.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking...its fairly regular for that whole area to be under 6" snow depth in the winter months.

Yeah, I was not familiar with CV climo when I shipped off to school. There were a few solid events, but I was sucking exhaust for the big ones down south. Had some great cold in January '04 though. Some consolation lol.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Now I've lost interest haha, but almost all of these January's except for 2001 and 2003 had at least some time with 0-2" of depth.  And this was the snowiest decade on record for BTV from 2000-2010. 

I just don't think you can really judge anything by CPV snowpack except when its really high and then you can say yeah this is probably a real good winter when there's 10" or more on the ground in the valley.

I looked at BTV data starting with 2000-01 and going thru last year, 16 winters, and the scores - number of months with at least one day at T or zero - for DJFM are shown below.  I included Jan 2011 though the one or two days are only "probable" because 2nd-4th have snowpack missing.  However, there was 1" on 1/1 and a high of 49 on the 2nd with 0.16" precip.  The 4th had 0.9" snow with max 29F.

DEC:  All 16.  Closest to full cover was 2007, with continuous for 12/3 onward.

JAN:  11 of 16   31 days cover for 01, 03, 04, 10, 14

FEB:  6 of 16  When Feb had bare ground, all 4 months had bare ground.

MAR:  14 of 16  Only 01 and 14 buck the trend.

Six years, 01-20, 05-06, 08-09, 11-12, 12-13, 15-16 had all four months with some bare ground days.

What an absolute torch it's been for this month and especially the last week.

That map is depressingly accurate.  Last 11 days at my place have run 16.2F above my average, with each at least +12.  Last 19 days are +11.8.  Each day 19-28 had minima 20 or milder; my average minimum for those days is 1.9F - the minima ran about 23F above average for those 10 days.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...

7 pm update...

Perhaps some flurry action over Nantucket but that`ll be over soon
enough as the attributing area of low pressure pushes out to sea
continuing to deepen. As it does so will see W winds increase with
significant gusts over the coastal areas and across the waters
into the early morning hours on Tuesday. The mid-level ridge
building in from the W tampering the winds with time, likely to
see with the present clearing conditions pockets of radiational
cooling within the CT River Valley and also nestled in the valleys
within the Worcester Hills. Going to be some cold spots. Most
areas with lows in the teens but single digits for the N/W
interior of MA and CT (including the Tolland Hills). All depends
as to whether winds become light. Already temperatures are
dropping significantly.

Tolland hills! 

On 1/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, powderfreak said:

Even like 2007-08 was a banner winter and BTV was down to 0" of snow depth for a good part of January. 

Funny looks much better across VT right now than it did in January '08 after that thaw.

snowdepth_011008.png

Yeah we certainly don't hold on to a snowpack often but we still normally see a few decent snowfalls each year. We are working on a 2 year plus stretch without a warning snow. That I know isn't normal.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Is that a titmouse? can't tell the lower one.

Yeah it's a titmouse.  The other looks like a house finch from the back, but a purple finch from the front, so I have no idea.  I only know that it's a pig that sits in the feeder like a nest for up to 15 minutes at a time.  Really gets the titmice and chickadees angry.

I bet your cats would just love a window feeder.

3 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Yeah it's a titmouse.  The other looks like a house finch from the back, but a purple finch from the front, so I have no idea.  I only know that it's a pig that sits in the feeder like a nest for up to 15 minutes at a time.  Really gets the titmice and chickadees angry.

I bet your cats would just love a window feeder.

so would the squirrels :(

Archived