Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Rangeley records about 10% more snow, but if their respective depth records are valid, Jackman holds a bigger pack, having 7 winters of the past 30 reach the 50" mark.  Social life is livelier in Rangeley, unless one has a passport and visits St.-George, PQ, 40 miles up the road.

Rangeley has some really nice elevated areas. Jackman does too, esp SE of town, but on average it's probably a few hundred feet lower. Rangeley is all above 1500 feet until you get down to Sandy River...so I could see where their actual cumulative snowfall is better.

Jackman has the extra push of latitude that really makes them immune to torches so I can see how their depth is superior...not that Rangeley is a torch spot...probably torches less than any of the NH/VT spots, but within Maine, it gets pretty sick once you keep going north. Not that I have to tell you...you know all this from experience a lot better than I. We love to call Pinkham Notch to Sunday River  the CAD capital of New England...but if we're being more precise, we should say Rangeley to Jackman to like Clayton Lake....though we're now talking basically no civilization once you get up into the Allegash.

10 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I have a friend who remembers hiking in Yellowstone on June 24th, in the 1990s and was hit by a blizzard. Would like to know how to figure out that exact year. Not sure how to look up weather records.

If they were hiking at enough elevation, it could honestly happen any year and might not be trackable on wx records since the weather stations may have been too low for snow or at least good accumulation. I quick search on climod2 did not reveal anything for June 24th...but again, it could have happened at an elevation higher than the places I looked.

Snow out there in June isn't all that uncommon.

Just now, #NoPoles said:

He said wolves were already back in the park so it was after 1995...he thinks he was around ten years old so that would be 2001...so I guess that narrows down the date range...after 1995 but not later than 2001.

2001 sounds like a good year...there was a big event, but it wasn't on June 24th. It was on June 13-14, 2001.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Rangeley has some really nice elevated areas. Jackman does too, esp SE of town, but on average it's probably a few hundred feet lower. Rangeley is all above 1500 feet until you get down to Sandy River...so I could see where their actual cumulative snowfall is better.

Jackman has the extra push of latitude that really makes them immune to torches so I can see how their depth is superior...not that Rangeley is a torch spot...probably torches less than any of the NH/VT spots, but within Maine, it gets pretty sick once you keep going north. Not that I have to tell you...you know all this from experience a lot better than I. We love to call Pinkham Notch to Sunday River  the CAD capital of New England...but if we're being more precise, we should say Rangeley to Jackman to like Clayton Lake....though we're now talking basically no civilization once you get up into the Allagash.

The co-op in Rangeley is about 340' higher than the one in Jackman, but is 50 miles to the south and 20 miles closer to salt water.  Lowest point in Rangeley is at the high water level of Mooselook Lake, listed at 1,467'.  The Sandy originates from the Sandy River Ponds on the township to the east, though feeder streams of those ponds come off the back side of Saddleback. 

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

If they were hiking at enough elevation, it could honestly happen any year and might not be trackable on wx records since the weather stations may have been too low for snow or at least good accumulation. I quick search on climod2 did not reveal anything for June 24th...but again, it could have happened at an elevation higher than the places I looked.

Snow out there in June isn't all that uncommon.

Yeah, pretty much every Coop site in the park has had snowfall in June. 

Archived