Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Off topic, but has anybody ever forecasted for the Pacific NW? KPDX has been a hell of a challenge lately. Like here, models are way....way to quick to warm them above 32.

Ask Radarman about the huge negative snow bust up there. Crystal Mountain was predicted to get 2 feet, he was going there during AMS , they got rain.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, CoastalWx said:

Off topic, but has anybody ever forecasted for the Pacific NW? KPDX has been a hell of a challenge lately. Like here, models are way....way to quick to warm them above 32.

There has been a lot of discussion on the MAP listserv lately about the PDX area.

When you get that high pressure on the east side of the terrain it funnels cold air through the river valleys towards the lower pressure on the coast. Naturally all your larger cities are located near the mouth of those rivers. Cool local effects there.

Does anyone know how to get the text lines in my signature be single spaced?  No matter what I do, I get the double spaced look and it's annoying as hell.  Even if I try to space things over, and have them fall to the next line, it looks good in the editing portion, but when I save it, the whole thing looks like ass.

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Does anyone know how to get the text lines in my signature be single spaced?  No matter what I do, I get the double spaced look and it's annoying as hell.  Even if I try to space things over, and have them fall to the next line, it looks good in the editing portion, but when I save it, the whole thing looks like ass.

shift+enter

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Eek beaten to the punch.

Scott...why are the images that I post from my cam URL cached on here? It's not the PC caching it...it's something with the software.

because we disallow remote images to prevent ssl errors.  the board downloads all images linked in a post and serves them locally.  for some reason, we have it set to cache images for 365 days.  I just changed it to one day.  

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

There has been a lot of discussion on the MAP listserv lately about the PDX area.

When you get that high pressure on the east side of the terrain it funnels cold air through the river valleys towards the lower pressure on the coast. Naturally all your larger cities are located near the mouth of those rivers. Cool local effects there.

Very cool mesoscale area. The Colombia River Gorge is the lowest gorge in terms of elevation, so when there's a pressure differential thats the easiest place for the air to flow toward the lower pressure offshore. Right into PDX. Doesn't help that the airport is right on the river, always last to scour out. 

This year has been crazy for PDX, they are like -12.5F on the month. It's tough forecasting but it's certaintly an interesting challenge

GEM 10km Regional going hourly on Feb 21st:

In the context of ensuring a constant improvement of our products and services, I'm pleased to announce that the temporal frequency of the RDPS data on the MSC Datamart will be increased on Tuesday February, 21st. Currently available on a 3 hourly basis, the GRIB files will henceforth be available hourly.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just consider this a final warning about trolling in here. People are welcome from any region who contribute. Trolls are not. It's an understatement that the mods in here have been patient with you. 

Anyways enough clogging this thread. Take any more comments to banter  

Please moderate posts that bring up my name in a thread dedicated to a storm and not off topic. 

Archived