Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ono said:

I don't care how long you've been skiing. Look at what I wrote. Don't pull a red herring. Don't try some safe space bull**** on me- I'm calling out the claim of  "Man's snow" when all  some folks  do is look at a computer screen and talk about snow, but don't actually do anything that makes you more of a  "man". It doesn't snow. You b**ch.  The antithesis of being a "man." In high school, we'd call you "posers" or, "poseurs." 

Looking at a computer screen, or some weather model, and bitching incessantly about when it's gonna snow? That's "manly"?  Seems like this place is a "safe space" then for some "grown" men.

So drop the BS and be honest.  I'm saying drop the BS, this place has, effectively, very few women participating- and it would be much improved if that changed. Stop the bull****. You're ready for that, right?

Meteorology is a male dominated major. Sorry you get upset at the most trivial of things. I don't see why it would be much mproved if more of any one participated. Your sense of humor and detection of sarcasm seems to be off here. And as far as sitting behind a "computer" screen, you don't know jack s hit about any of us.  You are the the one throwing out Herrings. Chill out 

57 minutes ago, BrianW said:

The New Haven area did quite well last night. Was expecting a dusting as forecasted but it ripped between 8-9 last night.

Screenshot_2017-01-14-20-20-48.jpg

Picture from this morning.

1267.jpg

Nice suprise.

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A sandwich is a sandwich...but a manwich is a meal

And just for full disclosure...my most recent actual meal (morning coffee not withstanding), was at the American Girl store with our daughter. My man card has been temporarily revoked.  

Ray's blog post is great

And your wallet has been emptied.

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And just for full disclosure...my most recent actual meal (morning coffee not withstanding), was at the American Girl store with our daughter. My man card has been temporarily revoked.  

Ray's blog post is great

Been there done that.  The wallet was broken after that.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Lighten up Francis.

Great movie!   Man,.. when Herald Ramis died I felt a civic duty and had to go back and reacquaint my self with some of his gems.  ..Ghostbusters...etc... What a talented comedic writer... But, that scene your referencing, man that had some funny turns of dialogue. 

Remember John Candy's character "Ox" ...   'You all may not have noticed but I, ahh ... I got somewhat of a weight problem'    Sargent Hulka for President!!!

this is a horrible decade for celebrity croaks.   Whitney Houston, Micheal Jackson, Prince, George Michael, 'Ramis, David Bowie, Philip Seymour Hoffman ... I mean, the others not on this list that were "old" understood... but these guys/gals were in their 50s - well, Ramis was in his 60s okay, still young. His death was a rare illness.  Understood. But the others?  I mean .. go back to Elvis: 42.   What's odd - I was never a huge fan of these entertainers when they were in their respective hay-days of self-stroking glory, but, being that the airwaves they used to float their "magic carpets" did accompany so many moments of my reality during the 1980s and 1990s ... I could not help but sense loss at their having to pay the party bill.

I think the 50s is a critical decade for drug users - if you lived it up and partied hard in your 20s/30s/40s... you better shape up and get clean before the big 5-0 or the reaper comes knockin' (if you didn't O.D. already anyway).  Seems history keeps demonstrating that as a warning.

My sister was regurgitating a study during half-time yesterday, where she read some study ...I dunno, Princeton scientist did this advanced study and determined that the very best a human can do is 125 years, all told... when balancing unavoidable background toxicology against best intents of the better part of valor.  For one creepy reason, there is a sort of predestined allotments of heart beats given by nature ... for humans, it's right around 1 billion beats.  Get 1,000,000,0001 and it's like flicking some universal kill switch - click.

Seems taking that logic further... if you do coke' ?  That's like rattling off three years worth of beats in a weekend bender ... But before that number can even be approached, people just don't seem to survive their 50s, not without strict clean-up of lifestyles. And it's all or nothin' too.  If they clean up, they could run Marathons ... one slip? ...maybe ...just a taste here or there ??  Later - 

Some celebs buy a ticket on the eternal orient anyway, of course ...be it some congenital thing, or a lightning bolt..whatever. Those are the real "tragedies"  But, odds are, dead at 55?  they were just dipschits. 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Ray's blog post is great

Actually I think you just beefed up your man card by doing that. And extra points if your son with you because you provided a great example as how not to be "threatened" by society imposed gender roles...

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Great movie!   Man,.. when Herald Ramis died I felt a civic duty and had to go back and reacquaint my self with some of his gems.  ..Ghostbusters...etc... What a talented comedic writer... But, that scene your referencing, man that had some funny turns of dialogue. 

Remember John Candy's character "Ox" ...   'You all may not have noticed but I, ahh ... I got somewhat of a weight problem'    Sargent Hulka for President!!!

this is a horrible decade for celebrity croaks.   Whitney Houston, Micheal Jackson, Prince, George Michael, 'Ramis, David Bowie, Philip Seymour Hoffman ... I mean, the others not on this list that were "old" understood... but these guys/gals were in their 50s - well, Ramis was in his 60s okay, still young. His death was a rare illness.  Understood. But the others?  I mean .. go back to Elvis: 42.   What's odd - I was never a huge fan of these entertainers when they were in their respective hay-days of self-stroking glory, but, being that the airwaves they used to float their "magic carpets" did accompany so many moments of my reality during the 1980s and 1990s ... I could not help but sense loss at their having to pay the party bill.

I think the 50s is a critical decade for drug users - if you lived it up and partied hard in your 20s/30s/40s... you better shape up and get clean before the big 5-0 or the reaper comes knockin' (if you didn't O.D. already anyway).  Seems history keeps demonstrating that as a warning.

My sister was regurgitating a study during half-time yesterday, where she read some study ...I dunno, Princeton scientist did this advanced study and determined that the very best a human can do is 125 years, all told... when balancing unavoidable background toxicology against best intents of the better part of valor.  For one creepy reason, there is a sort of predestined allotments of heart beats given by nature ... for humans, it's right around 1 billion beats.  Get 1,000,000,0001 and it's like flicking some universal kill switch - click.

Seems taking that logic further... if you do coke' ?  That's like rattling off three years worth of beats in a weekend bender ... But before that number can even be approached, people just don't seem to survive their 50s, not without strict clean-up of lifestyles. And it's all or nothin' too.  If they clean up, they could run Marathons ... one slip? ...maybe ...just a taste here or there ??  Later - 

Some celebs buy a ticket on the eternal orient anyway, of course ...be it some congenital thing, or a lightning bolt..whatever. Those are the real "tragedies"  But, odds are, dead at 55?  they were just dipschits. 

A billion is low. I'm in my early thirties and I guarantee I've clocked well in excess of that by now. 

We screwed ourselves by being locked in to societal approved gender roles. The sad thing is not realizing we aren't chained into any type of behavior, but we think we are...and then we teach our children to be chained into believing males should behave one way, and females should behave another way. Females like pink, so men can't like pink. Men shouldn't have long hair, women shouldn't have short hair. We also strangle strangle people into believing that emotions are bad. And any display of emotions is weakness. We are so ingrained to follow the damn gender rules that we forget how to live and to just just treat people with respect. Gender does not correlate to IQ or strength and weakness. Those who think that one gender is greater than the other are the ones who are wrong and probably need to do some soul searching.

19 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

We screwed ourselves by being locked in to societal approved gender roles. The sad thing is not realizing we aren't chained into any type of behavior, but we think we are...and then we teach our children to be chained into believing males should behave one way, and females should behave another way. Females like pink, so men can't like pink. Men shouldn't have long hair, women shouldn't have short hair. We also strangle strangle people into believing that emotions are bad. And any display of emotions is weakness. We are so ingrained to follow the damn gender rules that we forget how to live and to just just treat people with respect. Gender does not correlate to IQ or strength and weakness. Those who think that one gender is greater than the other are the ones who are wrong and probably need to do some soul searching.

? It's not 1980 anymore 

37 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Some of it is instinct. Take a look at the animal kingdom...it isn't always pretty. We're still evolving mentally and emotionally. We've come a long way socially in the last 100 years compared to the thousands of years prior. 

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some of it is instinct. Take a look at the animal kingdom...it isn't always pretty. We're still evolving mentally and emotionally. We've come a long way socially in the last 100 years compared to the thousands of years prior. 

No one's perfect...and yes things have come a long way...but women still get devalued because of their gender. You have a greater responsibility because you are an owner/administration. If you want this board to be ok with women, you should not let them get devalued because of their gender.

Just now, #NoPoles said:

No one's perfect...and yes things have come a long way...but women still get devalued because of their gender. You have a greater responsibility because you are an owner/administration. If you want this board to be ok with women, you should not let them get devalued because of their gender.

Who is devaluing women? 

19 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Where has any female been devalued? 

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Where has any female been devalued? 

this discourse/smoldering flame war has probably gone about as far as it should ... but, it appears there some "straw-man" engineering so people can duct a means to vent -

Chalk it all up to the steady forces of human evolution being too slow for modern instant gratification ... a typical paradox that technology has jolted into industrialized society over the last several decades (going back to prolly ...oh, 1950 or so) ... and move on.

it's nothing that will simultaneously appease all sophistry and accept disagreements people and let it go - you'll end up happier.  This is a publich sounding board for weather opinions, where the moderators are kind enough to tolerate "some" bloviation in a 'banter' thread - I'm sure folks could find a Poly-science -focused forum out on the web if they looked.

just came in from a walk. It's rather pleasant. A few trees in my neighborhood were trimmed the other day and the maples all have sap icicles hanging from the fresh trims. I took pics, but I can't post them because I guess the file size is too big?

anyway, I find that slightly disturbing. Seems at least a month early for the Sap to be running...seems like that will really hurt this years maple syrup crop?

24 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

just came in from a walk. It's rather pleasant. A few trees in my neighborhood were trimmed the other day and the maples all have sap icicles hanging from the fresh trims. I took pics, but I can't post them because I guess the file size is too big?

anyway, I find that slightly disturbing. Seems at least a month early for the Sap to be running...seems like that will really hurt this years maple syrup crop?

it is a blue-bird day, relative to seasonal expectation and January's  ...   This, in April? It is probably 57 F with an unabated fairly high sun angled kicked in; down right difficult to describe that sort of utopic appeal.  

...just before we get punished for the impertinence by a drilling BD and 37F drizzle for a week ...

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it is a blue-bird day, relative to seasonal expectation and January's  ...   This, in April? It is probably 57 F with an unabated fairly high sun angled kicked in; down right difficult to describe that sort of utopic appeal.  

...just before we get punished for the impertinence by a drilling BD and 37F drizzle for a week ...

Yup, seasons in seasons? Spring in New England. Which is why October/autumn is my favorite. 

A light breeze even though I live so close to the ocean. Can't pass up taking a walk on a day like today.

13 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Yup, seasons in seasons? Spring in New England. Which is why October/autumn is my favorite. 

A light breeze even though I live so close to the ocean. Can't pass up taking a walk on a day like today.

this could segue way into a few diatribes for me  - ...get me started about loathsome April at own risk.   ha!

someday when wealth permits.. I annually leave this part of the country on April Fool's Day and don't return until either May 1, or such time when the pattern becomes undeniably broken toward summer - which ever comes first.  And, it doesn't have to be 85/63 ...by this I mean, just so long as there's a suppressed probability for 77 in ALB while it's a 39 F butt-probing in Boston. There are pattern markers that suggest the area is prone to unrelenting, most importantly, unfair tentacles of misery reaching down from New Fundland.

Once in a blue moon you get an uncanny stretch in late March through mid/late April when it is climatologically violatingly gorgeous - I admit that.  Too rare to bank on and if I could have my druthers, I'm outta here and leave behind the people ringing hands waiting for a late season futile snow I've long terminated and moved on any psycho-babble desire for -

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this could segue way into a few diatribes for me  - ...get me started about loathsome April at own risk.   ha!

someday when wealth permits.. I annually leave this part of the country on April Fool's Day and don't return until either May 1, or such time when the pattern becomes undeniably broken toward summer - which ever comes first.  And, it doesn't have to be 85/63 ...by this I mean, just so long as there's a suppressed probability for 77 in ALB while it's a 39 F butt-probing in Boston. There are pattern markers that suggest the area is prone to unrelenting, most importantly, unfair tentacles of misery reaching down from New Fundland.

Once in a blue moon you get an uncanny stretch in late March through mid/late April when it is climatologically violatingly gorgeous - I admit that.  Too rare to bank on and if I could have my druthers, I'm outta here and leave behind the people ringing hands waiting for a late season futile snow I've long terminated and moved on any psycho-babble desire for -

So spring /summer 2009 I'm assuming you almost took a toaster bath. I live in a 55+ community. All of my neighbors have left for FL, returning around the 1st week in April. I don't get why they just don't stay in FL until the first week in May. April is an absolute horrid month.

Archived