Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sugarloaf passed their entire winters output yesterday, over 100 inches on the season 

Yeah Killington passed theirs in mid-December I think of their entire seasonal total last year.

I'm at 164" at 3,000ft which is a foot more than last year's total.

18" on the ground that I can walk on at 1,500ft.  Now just need some upslope pow.

This is night and day different from last year.

2 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

OK...If I were dreaming of a place to be in New England where the snow pack really builds, storms tend to last awhile and summers are as cool as you can get them here, where would I go (meaning a town, not an uninhabited mountaintop)?

Pretty sure this covers everything on the wintry side...

4 hours ago, White Rain said:

Really nice day out there with mostly sunny skies and a temp of 37. Tommorow should be very warm so curious how much of this meaty snow will melt. Most of the snow off the trees has melted but the snow in the yard has maintained a beautiful glassy appearance.

IMG_0335.JPG

love this pic

Since My definition of winter is about Dec 10-March 10 in my area around these parts it's about time for a mid term on the 2017 winter season.

1.  Total Snowfall:        C   I have 17 and average 47-48 only at about 36 percent or so

2.  Snowfall retention:   F   I've had to literally jump in the car right after a storm ends to take my kids sledding to avoid melting. I've held thin layers of crust for some periods but certainly a lack of total coverage for much of the winter

3.  Temperatures:        C-   Despite having a few cold shots and a definite improvement over last year overall temperatures consistently average above normal

4.  Excitement              C-   General lack of significant threats, probably would have been a D if not for the last storm although getting a positive bust and feeling good about  getting 1.5" of sleet speaks volumes about the winter overall

Overall  1st half grade   D+  Not a total failure and a modest improvement from last year but lot's of work to do here to get these grades up. Time for the winter of 2017 winter to hit the books . Cautiously optimistic that Feb/Early March can make some improvements to these grades but not sold on getting past a C+ without some major 2nd half improvements. 

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I didn't clear my steps yesterday thinking that they'd melt and clear themselves.  

Boy was that a poor decision.

My driveway was interesting this morning.  My little buggy almost couldn't get out.  This afternoon even it was tricky so I snowblowed what I could.  Our front porch and stairs were like glass this morning.  Thankfully those melted clear

48 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Since My definition of winter is about Dec 10-March 10 in my area around these parts it's about time for a mid term on the 2017 winter season.

1.  Total Snowfall:        C   I have 17 and average 47-48 only at about 36 percent or so

2.  Snowfall retention:   F   I've had to literally jump in the car right after a storm ends to take my kids sledding to avoid melting. I've held thin layers of crust for some periods but certainly a lack of total coverage for much of the winter

3.  Temperatures:        C-   Despite having a few cold shots and a definite improvement over last year overall temperatures consistently average above normal

4.  Excitement              C-   General lack of significant threats, probably would have been a D if not for the last storm although getting a positive bust and feeling good about  getting 1.5" of sleet speaks volumes about the winter overall

Overall  1st half grade   D+  Not a total failure and a modest improvement from last year but lot's of work to do here to get these grades up. Time for the winter of 2017 winter to hit the books . Cautiously optimistic that Feb/Early March can make some improvements to these grades but not sold on getting past a C+ without some major 2nd half improvements. 

I pretty much agree with all of these.  Maybe increase the snowfall grade to C+ here.

i would drop excitement to D+ though.  The biggest excitement for me was the little 3" powder bonus I got NYE and the thundersnow squall that gave me 0.5"

1 hour ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

A+ for me, little or no snow lately in town and snow for the mtns up north.

11 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Temps should definitely get an F. When the entire season is averaging greater than +3 or +3.5, that deserves a failing grade and certainly no better than a D.

24 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's been pretty dry here. Would love more liquid equiv going into Feb.

Not sufficient to overcome the dry spell, but Oct.-Jan. is running 108% of average here, assuming no more this month.  Given the near 7" in my current snowpack, there should be a good groundwater recharge this spring.

First time for everything.  While I was driving to a forestry research meeting at UMaine yesterday morning, the car ejected the driver's side wiper blade onto the passing lane of I-95 south of Bangor.  Not wishing to play "frogger" with trucks going 70 thru the rain (trucks had probably crushed the blade anyway) and with very limited shoulder plowing, I had to continue 15 miles to a rest area, where I could pull away from traffic and move the other blade to where it would be useful.

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was gonna say Jackman...similar answer.

Rangeley records about 10% more snow, but if their respective depth records are valid, Jackman holds a bigger pack, having 7 winters of the past 30 reach the 50" mark.  Social life is livelier in Rangeley, unless one has a passport and visits St.-George, PQ, 40 miles up the road.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Rangeley records about 10% more snow, but if their respective depth records are valid, Jackman holds a bigger pack, having 7 winters of the past 30 reach the 50" mark.  Social life is livelier in Rangeley, unless one has a passport and visits St.-George, PQ, 40 miles up the road.

Is this akin to being the tallest midget? ;)

Archived