Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

19 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Yup... and it's the catchy phrases like "remember when we used to get snow" that they'll use to get media attention. That seems to be where the science gets forgotten in a play for media coverage. 

Clearly, this guy has never been to Lunenburg.

Got down to 9* here in Bath, 11* at the Pit.  It's nice too feel like winter in any case.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2017 at 0:32 AM, ono said:

yeah, beat on vicarious chest watching models of the Sierra once-in-ten-year. But it's not so bad actually going up for a hike up a mountain ski that "4" of bullsh*t like a real man/woman and enjoy it. But we'll have none of that, here. Armchair, lift chair and car seats only, boys.   sorry, but the "man snow" comment speaks to a boys clubby BS 'round here that just doesn't sit. Half the population doesn't really seem to have an interest in participating. We could call "man snow" just "snow" or " a lot of snow"

Seems small, and I don't want to single anyone out... but there's hundreds of guys on this website and how many women? Maybe there's a reason they don't participate. Just a thought.

I have 8 kids and 17 grandkids and have respect for each and treat them as equals .You getting butt hurt about "man snow" is about silly as it gets. Every where I go personally, work or home ,people are treated as equals.I don't know your personal situation. Obviously inequalities exist in your life and many others , but there is also a lot of made up faux outrage. I will stick up for Scott here, it's a colloquial saying and has no negative connotation towards women. I am sure you know Men tend to be much more rougher and less refined than women. It's simply an indication of the ragged rough type of snow. More importantly there is no such thing as women snow which further indicates the term is indeed gender specific not to be construed as a slight towards women. You obviously have an issue with Scott but take it from me. You won't find a better person to be a Father,husband. Of course It's your right to bring up gender issues when appropriate but in in this case give me a break.

Well this thread is totally derailed. Let's hope Feb provides more meteorologically pertinent intrigue. Since we've gone down the rabbit hole, let's attempt a "Tippy" rant. There's a certain vein of irony beneath the lamentation about "male-dominated" society in that at the most fundamental level, virtually all male competition for economic or reputational advancement masks a desire for female validation. Men who have no extraordinary charm or aesthetic gifts feel they must excel professionally to attract a mate. They don't work long hours in often degrading jobs out of a love of drudgery. Additionally, at least traditionally, men felt that as women bear a disproportionately high cost in reproduction, they ought to provide a comfortable living. Times change, and I of course welcome full female engagement in the workplace and elsewhere. I've worked with three exceptionally gifted female CEOs who never failed to amaze me with their intellectual and managerial gifts. there are more female admittances to b and law schools now than men, which will ultimately be expressed in C suite demographics. There may be a few men out there who feel threatened by female encroachment on their traditional turf, perhaps feeling emasculated or tautologous as they have no value-added anymore, but they are a small minority.  Hell, women dont even need a mate anymore with donor DNA for purchase. And while people applaud a woman who is both mother and worker, society still looks askance at a stay at home father, as if he's a freeloader. Anyway, Tippy rant over. Let's get back on this horrible torch bandwagon. 

22 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's awesome...they are predicting 0.7C of average temp rise by 2025....almost 0.1C per year.

I liked this quote though:

“I tell my students that they’re going to be able to tell their children, ‘I remember when it used to snow in Boston,’ ” said Ray Bradley, an author of the study and director of the Climate System Research Center at the University of Massachusetts. “We’ll have occasional snow, but we won’t have weeks and weeks of snow on the ground.”

Unfortunately, this is the kind of quote people remember when the next January 2011, December 2007, January 2009, February 2014, and February 2015 happens in the year 2027.

Sounds like he is describing a typical winter lol. How often does Boston have "weeks and weeks" of snow on the ground.

22 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sounds like he is describing a typical winter lol. How often does Boston have "weeks and weeks" of snow on the ground.

BOS averages like 37 days of snow cover per winter. That's at Logan airport...probably west side of city is 40-45 days. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have 8 kids and 17 grandkids and have respect for each and treat them as equals .You getting butt hurt about "man snow" is about silly as it gets. Every where I go personally, work or home ,people are treated as equals.I don't know your personal situation. Obviously inequalities exist in your life and many others , but there is also a lot of made up faux outrage. I will stick up for Scott here, it's a colloquial saying and has no negative connotation towards women. I am sure you know Men tend to be much more rougher and less refined than women. It's simply an indication of the ragged rough type of snow. More importantly there is no such thing as women snow which further indicates the term is indeed gender specific not to be construed as a slight towards women. You obviously have an issue with Scott but take it from me. You won't find a better person to be a Father,husband. Of course It's your right to bring up gender issues when appropriate but in in this case give me a break.

Gotta agree with you here. Getting upset at "man snow" is like getting offended by a guy saying "man cave". 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

16.9 at least it feels like January.

`scurrying around town doing typical Saturday morning errands and I'm wishing I'd warmed the car ... Took forever to get the steering wheel to where I could even touch it. 

I remember seeing some opines that spoke of the cold over the weekend looking less and less... hahaha.  No - people get caught up in the moment of certain appeals and then tarnish things based on that.  As far as what I've been tracking, this was nailed last Tuesday and didn't deviate. 

19/7

On 1/14/2017 at 10:12 AM, CoastalWx said:

Vantage Pro2. But man, I'm having a hard time with figuring out where to mount it. 

Nice. Wireless? Get the ISS in as open an area as you can and then I'd worry about the wind later.

You'll have fun with it. It can get addicting.

On 1/14/2017 at 10:11 AM, CoastalWx said:

I don't think in my wildest dreams I would have thought someone could be offended by "mansnow."

I just brought it up to Lisa and we had a nice debate over it.

There are always going to be some differences in the sexes...physically and mentally. We're just biologically different. Our DNA, hormones, etc. The "man whatever" phrase goes back to the beginning of speech. Is it a gender bias? I guess. I don't think of women when I use the term. I just think of a brawny rugged man versus a weak, frail one. If you want to get to the root of it, I guess it originated as "be strong like a man" versus "weak like a female". I personally don't think of it that way when I see it though...it's just a saying to me. I guess I can understand how some females could be offended, but I don't think any of us mean harm by the term. This is definitely not a "boys club". I have a lot of female friends that would laugh that someone would be offended over that comment. ono has a right to feel how she feels, but I feel like there's a lot worse out there on the internet and TV land than the term "man snow". As a white male, I don't like telling females or black people how they should feel. We should always be treated and governed as equals, but gender biases will always exist because we will always be somewhat different. In the end I think it comes down to context.

I've always been a big jokester. I've had many female friends where we've joked about gender differences before. I have black and asian friends where we joke about racial differences. They make jokes about white people and I laugh. I make an asian joke and they laugh. In the end we're not racist or sexist toward one another. We know we're just making puns and jokes from biases and we have some laughs about them. I guess when people don't know you they may not know where you're coming from. It's difficult to tell someone's tone on the internet too. I can have some very dry sarcasm and people sometimes take me seriously when I'm not being so. I try to throw smilies in to prevent that now. ;)

I like people being different. I worry that we get too politically correct sometimes. I don't want the world to turn vanilla. Let's be equals with differences and laugh and love a little more.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I just brought it up to Lisa and we had a nice debate over it.

There are always going to be some differences in the sexes...physically and mentally. We're just biologically different. Our DNA, hormones, etc. The "man whatever" phrase goes back to the beginning of speech. Is it a gender bias? I guess. I don't think of women when I use the term. I just think of a brawny rugged man versus a weak, frail one. If you want to get to the root of it, I guess it originated as "be strong like a man" versus "weak like a female". I personally don't think of it that way when I see it though...it's just a saying to me. I guess I can understand how some females could be offended, but I don't think any of us mean harm by the term. This is definitely not a "boys club". I have a lot of female friends that would laugh that someone would be offended over that comment. ono has a right to feel how she feels, but I feel like there's a lot worse out there on the internet and TV land than the term "man snow". As a white male, I don't like telling females or black people how they should feel. We should always be treated and governed as equals, but gender biases will always exist because we will always be somewhat different. In the end I think it comes down to context.

I've always been a big jokester. I've had many female friends where we've joked about gender differences before. I have black and asian friends where we joke about racial differences. They make jokes about white people and I laugh. I make an asian joke and they laugh. In the end we're not racist or sexist toward one another. We know we're just making puns and jokes from biases and we have some laughs about them. I guess when people don't know you they may not know where you're coming from. It's difficult to tell someone's tone on the internet too. I can have some very dry sarcasm and people sometimes take me seriously when I'm not being so. I try to throw smilies in to prevent that now. ;)

I like people being different. I worry that we get too politically correct sometimes. I don't want the world to turn vanilla. Let's be equals with differences and laugh and love a little more.

Pretty much. Well said.

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

Well this thread is totally derailed. Let's hope Feb provides more meteorologically pertinent intrigue. Since we've gone down the rabbit hole, let's attempt a "Tippy" rant. There's a certain vein of irony beneath the lamentation about "male-dominated" society in that at the most fundamental level, virtually all male competition for economic or reputational advancement masks a desire for female validation. Men who have no extraordinary charm or aesthetic gifts feel they must excel professionally to attract a mate. They don't work long hours in often degrading jobs out of a love of drudgery. Additionally, at least traditionally, men felt that as women bear a disproportionately high cost in reproduction, they ought to provide a comfortable living. Times change, and I of course welcome full female engagement in the workplace and elsewhere. I've worked with three exceptionally gifted female CEOs who never failed to amaze me with their intellectual and managerial gifts. there are more female admittances to b and law schools now than men, which will ultimately be expressed in C suite demographics. There may be a few men out there who feel threatened by female encroachment on their traditional turf, perhaps feeling emasculated or tautologous as they have no value-added anymore, but they are a small minority.  Hell, women dont even need a mate anymore with donor DNA for purchase. And while people applaud a woman who is both mother and worker, society still looks askance at a stay at home father, as if he's a freeloader. Anyway, Tippy rant over. Let's get back on this horrible torch bandwagon. 

How does one derail a banter thread?

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think in my wildest dreams I would have thought someone could be offended by "mansnow."

I am frightened by this micro-aggression and demand a safe space.

20*

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty much. Well said.

I understand what is meant by man snow. After being on this forum for a long time, I understand the personality of this forum, and my own personal assessment ( not speaking for anyone else) is that 99% of the NE forum members are not hostile. However, I do like to play Devils advocate because if you only ever side with people who share your same view points and opinions, there is never any chance for personal growth because you never get see pertinent issues from different angles. With that being said, if you say something that is offensive, it doesn't matter if a million people take your side, if you say something offensive it is in fact offensive, and you may need to rethink how you communicate your ideas. Or you may need to engage in some personal introspection and consider that you may have been wrong and actually try to understand why you were wrong instead of trying to surround yourself with a bunch of people who will defend you and save your ego.

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Ginxy how deep do you set the 4 x 4? I've been looking for a good spot for mine and I like this idea.

Dig hole so diameter of the hole is 3 times the width of the post (i.e., the hole for a 4” wood post should be about 12 inches wide). The depth of the hole should be 1/4-1/3 the post height above ground (i.e., a 12-foot pole would require a hole depth of at least 3 feet. Use quickrete

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dig hole so diameter of the hole is 3 times the width of the post (i.e., the hole for a 4” wood post should be about 12 inches wide). The depth of the hole should be 1/4-1/3 the post height above ground (i.e., a 12-foot pole would require a hole depth of at least 3 feet. Use quickrete

and if you don't use sonotube, you won't need to add water to the quikcrete, in the spring, the cement will suck the moisture from the earth

Jesus, do you realize what some of you are doing??? Each response is upping the hostility and you are forming a gang mentality to drive away and intimidate another member. How the **** do you find that acceptable? It is not acceptable. There was a misunderstand in the term man snow. Which could have been simply solved by Scott clarifying his thoughts/feelings behind the term and that he wasn't trying to perpetuate gender inequality. But now a lot you are freaking out and it's become a mini post war. I'm not a fan of ganging up and using aggression to either drive a member away or at least into submission to the point where they don't feel comfortable talking about certain things...regardless of how this all started, the gang mentality is wrong and needs to be stopped

Just now, tavwtby said:

and if you don't use sonotube, you won't need to add water to the quikcrete, in the spring, the cement will suck the moisture from the earth

I always add a little water just to set quicker. Another less sturdy option is to use schedule 80 PVC and strap the unit to the pipe but I like pressure treated 4 bys

Archived