Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ono said:

yeah, beat on vicarious chest watching models of the Sierra once-in-ten-year. But it's not so bad actually going up for a hike up a mountain ski that "4" of bullsh*t like a real man/woman and enjoy it. But we'll have none of that, here. Armchair, lift chair and car seats only, boys.   sorry, but the "man snow" comment speaks to a boys clubby BS 'round here that just doesn't sit. Half the population doesn't really seem to have an interest in participating. We could call "man snow" just "snow" or " a lot of snow"

Seems small, and I don't want to single anyone out... but there's hundreds of guys on this website and how many women? Maybe there's a reason they don't participate. Just a thought.

Since he won't apologize,, I apologize on his behalf. Sorry he offended you. Is your husband upset at him too?

8 hours ago, ono said:

yeah, beat on vicarious chest watching models of the Sierra once-in-ten-year. But it's not so bad actually going up for a hike up a mountain ski that "4" of bullsh*t like a real man/woman and enjoy it. But we'll have none of that, here. Armchair, lift chair and car seats only, boys.   sorry, but the "man snow" comment speaks to a boys clubby BS 'round here that just doesn't sit. Half the population doesn't really seem to have an interest in participating. We could call "man snow" just "snow" or " a lot of snow"

Seems small, and I don't want to single anyone out... but there's hundreds of guys on this website and how many women? Maybe there's a reason they don't participate. Just a thought.

Hopefully you get some more mansnow to rebuild the base you lost.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

hrmmmm...not sure if i have to clear my cache. do you guys see a sunny pic or a squall?

Same here. I posted my backyard cam and all I see is a summer picture embedded in the post above. I cleared my cache and even checked my tapatalk on my phone and it's the same. I used the "insert pic url" option when replying to MPM's post. Not sure what's going on.

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

My Lord, 10.5-foot sea-level rises coming to a New England community near you. 

I want my next job to be a 'climate scientist'.  Not much accountability in saying how things are going to be 100-200 years from now.  Another tough day at the office....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/12/northeast-will-experience-faster-warming-from-climate-change-new-study-finds/nitce6eK8zqQN2LXZXgvwK/story.html

That's awesome...they are predicting 0.7C of average temp rise by 2025....almost 0.1C per year.

I liked this quote though:

“I tell my students that they’re going to be able to tell their children, ‘I remember when it used to snow in Boston,’ ” said Ray Bradley, an author of the study and director of the Climate System Research Center at the University of Massachusetts. “We’ll have occasional snow, but we won’t have weeks and weeks of snow on the ground.”

Unfortunately, this is the kind of quote people remember when the next January 2011, December 2007, January 2009, February 2014, and February 2015 happens in the year 2027.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Climatologists Gone Wild. These guys have to learn Computer model solution A, does not mean it will happen as modeled.

Not only that...do they not understand the climo of the region? I would figure this guy does since he's from around here. But playing devils advocate for a minute...lets assume we get extremely rapid warming in the next decade or two as they claim.... you could tack on 2F to any of those months I listed and you'd still have weeks of snow cover and huge snowstorms. Also, most of the warming is going to occur from overnight lows...stuff that has little effect on our snowfall.

I have a hard time he actually believes what he says unless he really is pretty ignorant of our climo in winter. But I guarantee the computer model said snowfall will decrease by like 50-60% so that means it's going to happen in their mind.

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Climatologists Gone Wild. These guys have to learn Computer model solution A, does not mean it will happen as modeled.

Yup... and it's the catchy phrases like "remember when we used to get snow" that they'll use to get media attention. That seems to be where the science gets forgotten in a play for media coverage. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not only that...do they not understand the climo of the region? I would figure this guy does since he's from around here. But playing devils advocate for a minute...lets assume we get extremely rapid warming in the next decade or two as they claim.... you could tack on 2F to any of those months I listed and you'd still have weeks of snow cover and huge snowstorms. Also, most of the warming is going to occur from overnight lows...stuff that has little effect on our snowfall.

I have a hard time he actually believes what he says unless he really is pretty ignorant of our climo in winter. But I guarantee the computer model said snowfall will decrease by like 50-60% so that means it's going to happen in their mind.

Yeah, exactly. Say warming accelerates through some feedback processes... certainly possible... but who's to say there aren't all sorts of other impacts including disruptions in the stratosphere, flow in polar regions, stronger temperature gradients owing to ocean warming at different rates than land. There's a lot more that goes into storminess than an overall temperature increase.

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

My Lord, 10.5-foot sea-level rises coming to a New England community near you. 

I want my next job to be a 'climate scientist'.  Not much accountability in saying how things are going to be 100-200 years from now.  Another tough day at the office....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/12/northeast-will-experience-faster-warming-from-climate-change-new-study-finds/nitce6eK8zqQN2LXZXgvwK/story.html

Shorter drive to the beach

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah, exactly. Say warming accelerates through some feedback processes... certainly possible... but who's to say there aren't all sorts of other impacts including disruptions in the stratosphere, flow in polar regions, stronger temperature gradients owing to ocean warming at different rates than land. There's a lot more that goes into storminess than an overall temperature increase.

Hopefully the White Mountains enter a period of increased volcanic eruptions to eject dust into the air. 

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hopefully the White Mountains enter a period of increased volcanic eruptions to eject dust into the air. 

Actually, the higher latitude volcanoes have much less influence on stratosphere than the ones further south...so you probably want to go for the tropical volcanoes going wild if you are going down that road.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Their model probably ingested bad Tolland data due to a high moisture bias. That really exponentially adds up over a decade.

Maybe they were using StepheninCT snow data and then noticed a sharp decline in snow as he stopped reporting...but the models didn't know that and assumed it would continue.

13 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Had it back in November. Awful. 

That's when it hit around here.  Probably half of those attending our church got hit, and we sent it out with a visiting missionary plus my son-in-law and half the grandkids.  (Fortunately their symptoms began AFTER they reached home in SNJ.)

Last night's drive home was perhaps the most unpleasant since moving here in May 1998 - the dense fog came in patches, so visibility would be 100 yards then almost zero, back and forth for 1:15.  Usual commute is 45 minutes.  I could go 35-40 on Rt 27 where the centerline and edges had paint, but 15-20 was all I cared to try on secondary roads.

Still clinging to 17" at the stake, which will be glacial once the cold has a chance to work.  However, 17th thru 27th may do a lot more damage, unless the models are overplaying the thaw.

Archived