Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Beautiful, moonlit night to 21F. Just took the dog on a 2+mile walk through the woods on combination of groomed bike path, snowmobile trail and cross country ski trail. Great workout. 

That's a pretty epic night walk.  I could do similar from the house with the dog but I'm lazy and scared at night.   lol.

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's a pretty epic night walk.  I could do similar from the house with the dog but I'm lazy and scared at night.   lol.

Well, truth be told, I hadn't exactly planned to be gone for that long. It's a little over a mile to our local school on the bike path and it is groomed by the local ski/mt. bike group. Our new rescue dog isn't prticularly cold tolerant and usually turns around after a short distance but I guess tonight was warm enough for him because he kept going. When I got to the school, I decided to follow a nature trail that had been groomed for skiing and walking. I just figured it would loop back around to the bike path but it dipped through a swamp and up a hill/mountainside finally connecting to the snowmobile trail about 1/4 mile from my house. I have a decent headlamp but I did get nervous about coyotes. My dog Wilbur is pretty tired now though. 

IMG_0687.JPG

15 hours ago, WthrJunkyME said:

-12* this morning.  -2* was forecast and a high of 24*.  The forecasted temps haven't even been close this winter, sometimes actual temps have been 15* colder.  I don't believe it'll make the 36* climb to their forecasted high today either.  

This is not the norm.  How or why can they be so far off?

9 hours ago, WthrJunkyME said:

I have to eat my words.  Although I'm right about the low, they nailed the high.  It's currently 23*, wow it sure came up

Generally speaking, we'll do better with high temps because the boundary layer is most likely well mixed. The better the mixing the better the temp forecast.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

MOS has been atrocious on the rad cooling nights lately. A night with strong rad conditions and it's only spitting out lows 10-15F colder than the previous afternoon highs. You know you'll get a 25-30F drop so you need to slice 10F off of MOS to even be close. 

MOS has truly been awful on the radiational nights of late. Another factor is that our forecast is working on a 2.5km by 2.5km grid. A lot of nuances can occur in a 2.5 km box. Just last night Ekster had a nearly 15 degree swing in less than a mile, and our local GYX grid box doesn't even have some of the terrain differences that occur farther north in our CWA.

3 hours ago, 78Blizzard said:

Wow! -60's°F in Central Russia.  We probably stay seasonable to warm.  North pole way above normal thanks to massive low E of Greenland.

I wonder if they close their schools like the soft people in New England do?

Happy for me...last day of work before an extended Christmas break  until January 3.

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

Well, truth be told, I hadn't exactly planned to be gone for that long. It's a little over a mile to our local school on the bike path and it is groomed by the local ski/mt. bike group. Our new rescue dog isn't prticularly cold tolerant and usually turns around after a short distance but I guess tonight was warm enough for him because he kept going. When I got to the school, I decided to follow a nature trail that had been groomed for skiing and walking. I just figured it would loop back around to the bike path but it dipped through a swamp and up a hill/mountainside finally connecting to the snowmobile trail about 1/4 mile from my house. I have a decent headlamp but I did get nervous about coyotes. My dog Wilbur is pretty tired now though. 

IMG_0687.JPG

awesome and thank you for rescuing him!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

awesome and thank you for rescuing him!!!!!!

Thank you and your wife for the work that you do.  When our beagle passed this summer at 16, I wanted to take a break for a while.  I always feel guilty about having them home alone while we are at work but a co-worker of mine runs a rescue and he kept telling me that a dog would still be much better off with a forever home so when my wife started to really agitate for a new dog, I gave in.  He is a coonhound/beagle mix and he has been an awesome dog.  I would never do anything other than adopt a rescue.  

47 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Thank you and your wife for the work that you do.  When our beagle passed this summer at 16, I wanted to take a break for a while.  I always feel guilty about having them home alone while we are at work but a co-worker of mine runs a rescue and he kept telling me that a dog would still be much better off with a forever home so when my wife started to really agitate for a new dog, I gave in.  He is a coonhound/beagle mix and he has been an awesome dog.  I would never do anything other than adopt a rescue.  

Thanks  its  passion now, better to be home alone for a while than dead or stuck in a kennel all alone 24/7

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks  its  passion now, better to be home alone for a while than dead or stuck in a kennel all alone 24/7

Speaking of kennels....got any 6' high panels you want to sell? I'm always a minute too late on creepy craigslist. I want a paneled run for my birds. It'll give me more flexibility with size/shape than a framed/fenced permanent run.

It's great what you guys do with the rescues. My mom had a client that would always go to the shelter and ask for the oldest cat that they have. Even if it was 15 y/o she would baby that cat until the day it died. Then she'd do it all over again. It takes a special person to be able to do that.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Speaking of kennels....got any 6' high panels you want to sell? I'm always a minute too late on creepy craigslist. I want a paneled run for my birds. It'll give me more flexibility with size/shape than a framed/fenced permanent run.

It's great what you guys do with the rescues. My mom had a client that would always go to the shelter and ask for the oldest cat that they have. Even if it was 15 y/o she would baby that cat until the day it died. Then she'd do it all over again. It takes a special person to be able to do that.

One of the reasons that we chose to adopt Wilbur is because he is 8 years old.  Older dogs often have a harder time getting adopted.

49 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Damn wish you had asked a month ago. Just gave to an adoptee 8 6 foot panels including a gate.. I will keep an eye out

30 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Wow, deep, dark valleys FTW the past few weeks.  It was 28F at 7am this morning here on SW winds and OVC.

I'll try to post a topo of my neighborhood later but it is ideal for radiating.  I'm tucked in a slightly elevated, narrow river valley (Green River) and we have deep frozen snow pack right now.  I think I had already hit my forecast low by 10pm last night. Lol. 

30 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Blizzard watch for parts of the dakotas 4 days out kind of early I would think

Wow, 8th period watch. 

From the Central Region directives:

Watches: Traditionally, watches are issued when the risk of a hazardous weather event is significant in the 12 to 48 hour time frame, but occurrence, location, severity, and/or timing are uncertain. However, when forecaster confidence is high and neighboring offices affected by the event concur, watches may be issued beyond 48 hours. Care should be taken to balance the need to inform the public of impending hazardous weather with the need to avoid reducing the effectiveness of watches by issuing too many false alarms.

That's nearly 60 hours beyond the recommended guidelines. This organization needs to get its crap together. We're starting to lose the forest (forecast) for the trees (decision support services). They are ways to tell key partners about impending/possible weather impacts without 100 hour lead time headlines.

35 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Wow, 8th period watch. 

From the Central Region directives:

Watches: Traditionally, watches are issued when the risk of a hazardous weather event is significant in the 12 to 48 hour time frame, but occurrence, location, severity, and/or timing are uncertain. However, when forecaster confidence is high and neighboring offices affected by the event concur, watches may be issued beyond 48 hours. Care should be taken to balance the need to inform the public of impending hazardous weather with the need to avoid reducing the effectiveness of watches by issuing too many false alarms.

That's nearly 60 hours beyond the recommended guidelines. This organization needs to get its crap together. We're starting to lose the forest (forecast) for the trees (decision support services). They are ways to tell key partners about impending/possible weather impacts without 100 hour lead time headlines.

Wow I've never seen a watch that far out.

The system isn't even into the NAM and other meso-model time frames yet.

Archived