joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple questions b/c I got this wrong on a test...

In dry adiabatic compression of air:

why is the mixing ratio constant?  the saturation mixing ratio increase?  relative humidity decrease?  

also...I didn't get this wrong but want to understand...

for the equation for horizontal temperature advection...how do you know when to use sin or cosine?  and do you always use 90 degrees or if you have like NE, NW, SE, SW winds do you use 45 degrees?  

10 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

A couple questions b/c I got this wrong on a test...

In dry adiabatic compression of air:

why is the mixing ratio constant?  the saturation mixing ratio increase?  relative humidity decrease?  

also...I didn't get this wrong but want to understand...

for the equation for horizontal temperature advection...how do you know when to use sin or cosine?  and do you always use 90 degrees or if you have like NE, NW, SE, SW winds do you use 45 degrees?  

SOHCAHTOA

And I thought you did something like this months ago? The wind doesn't always blow perpendicular to the temp gradient, does it? If the wind blows parallel to a stationary front (hint: stationary) which angle do you use? 

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

SOHCAHTOA

And I thought you did something like this months ago? The wind doesn't always blow perpendicular to the temp gradient, does it? If the wind blows parallel to a stationary front (hint: stationary) which angle do you use? 

I did and was going back to review.  I got the question right on the exam but wasn't sure about other angles.  In that case there really isn't an angle...?  So just take the value of the wind?

On 12/11/2016 at 10:47 AM, powderfreak said:

Is this real life?  Mother Nature seems to want to make amends for last winter.

Same seasonal snowfall right now on December 11th as we had on February 14th last winter.

Mount-Mansfield-showing-off..jpg

know what would have been awesome ?

in the foreground have a pop-bellied older middle aged alcoholic in white beard, wig and Santa garb, passed out draping arms and legs over the seat of his sled, with a bunch of disinterested deer sitting in the snow - while splendor.  have the packages spilling out the back that say, "return to sender"

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Phillipe Papin had a great tweet tonight graphically showing the greatest theta/ dt on Earth over Boston Friday 

The magnitude of cold is going to be impressive. We're looking good to set a 850 mb temp record for the day, with ensemble guidance having -25ish mean.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Lol patience grasshopper your time will come 

I've been waiting for 20+ years...now I always have to work at least 30 hours a week and when breaks come I have to work 7 days a week...over the past 3 years I've probably had 10 days where I wasn't either working or doing class.  

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Phillipe Papin had a great tweet tonight graphically showing the greatest theta/ dt on Earth over Boston Friday 

Excerpted from the morning AFD out of GYX, emphases mine:

Both GEFS and ECMWF EPS mean H8 temps
have -25C to the NH/MA border...with some suggestions of -30C
lurking near the North Woods. If realized...this could set a
couple daily records for mid level temps in the GYX/PWM sounding
climatology. Not only that...but these could be the coldest mid
level air temps on the planet if model forecast are correct
. Lucky
us right?

Archived