Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Good. Get the ice on the lakes going. It's a good NNe look coming up.

Only a tiny bit of shore ice on Long Pond (typically late to "catch") this morning, though I had my 1st single digit min - 8 or 9F.   I'm hoping my low-LE snow cover can last into the weekend's cold air and get temps below zero.

The November climate. 23 is the warmest ever low for the month at CON, and 2nd warmest ever at PWM.

Month's low here was 17, tying 1998 (first year here) for mildest.  The Nov. avg was 6th mildest, over 2F behind 2006.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Actually had some ice on the local shallow pond near me. 

Yup   A couple of the ponds I drive by had enough ice to get coated with snow yesterday morning.  This morning the ice extended significantly away from the snow, although I would imagine it is "wafer thin"

22.1F was the lowest I saw this morning

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Only a tiny bit of shore ice on Long Pond (typically late to "catch") this morning, though I had my 1st single digit min - 8 or 9F.   I'm hoping my low-LE snow cover can last into the weekend's cold air and get temps below zero.

The November climate. 23 is the warmest ever low for the month at CON, and 2nd warmest ever at PWM.

Month's low here was 17, tying 1998 (first year here) for mildest.  The Nov. avg was 6th mildest, over 2F behind 2006.

Farmington's low last month of 19 also ties with 1998, and 1902.  However, in 1935 November bottomed out at 20. 

Hits keep coming for the mountains? 

Forecast has a dusting-2" tonight and tomorrow, then mesoscale 2-6" on Thursday/Thursday night.

Overall QPF for the event over a 24hr period from midnight
Thursday to midnight Friday is less than a tenth for the
valleys, but upwards of close to a half inch in the heart of the
lake effect band and the northern Greens around Jay Peak. First
guess at snow ratios puts us around 15:1 on average, yielding
around 6-9" across southeastern St. Lawrence County prompting
the issuance of a Lake Effect Snow Watch there. Across the rest
of the area a dusting to and inch in the valleys is possible
where snow may briefly mix with rain due to warm boundary layer
temps, while portions of north-central and northeast Vermont
could see 2-4" and the highest summits from Mount Mansfield to
Jay Peak upwards of 4-6".

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hits keep coming for the mountains? 

Forecast has a dusting-2" tonight and tomorrow, then mesoscale 2-6" on Thursday/Thursday night.

Overall QPF for the event over a 24hr period from midnight
Thursday to midnight Friday is less than a tenth for the
valleys, but upwards of close to a half inch in the heart of the
lake effect band and the northern Greens around Jay Peak. First
guess at snow ratios puts us around 15:1 on average, yielding
around 6-9" across southeastern St. Lawrence County prompting
the issuance of a Lake Effect Snow Watch there. Across the rest
of the area a dusting to and inch in the valleys is possible
where snow may briefly mix with rain due to warm boundary layer
temps, while portions of north-central and northeast Vermont
could see 2-4" and the highest summits from Mount Mansfield to
Jay Peak upwards of 4-6".

EPS today would say it would be an epic collapse to miss out on the coming pattern. I don't think one member had less than a foot for NNE mountains in the next two weeks.

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

yup and really didnt feel like it was. but calm winds and clear skies will do that. lets keep bringing em down now.

The ground still had some remnant snow from yesterday which froze solid, besides that it really didn't feel that cold. We have dropped to 34.4 at the moment with a 50/50 mix of rain and snow.

Just now, Hoth said:

Congrats dude!

This is fun.  Really wasn't expecting this much here.  It's funny though b/c I think it's only snowing here up on the hill.  At the midtown campus it was raining (that was an hour ago) and at the bottom of the hill it was only a mix.  We could end up with maybe 2'' or a bit more given the intensity and heavier band about to come through

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is fun.  Really wasn't expecting this much here.  It's funny though b/c I think it's only snowing here up on the hill.  At the midtown campus it was raining (that was an hour ago) and at the bottom of the hill it was only a mix.  We could end up with maybe 2'' or a bit more given the intensity and heavier band about to come through

Very nice.

yeah ... i didn't post this - not attempting a credit grab.. but, this system did look pretty close to mirroring the last one's productivity  more or less.

difference?  wet snow versus more powdery.  

along Rt poop there was  about 1" of classic christmas cling on everything. 34 F in the driveway, with tree limbs and telegraph wires all stenciled in black and white.  the air was a bluish gray tint, and the nerd in me took a moment to acknowledge snow grains bouncing about the wind shield after it was cleared.  it was a really a perfect seasonal homage ..   unfortunately, i started south on 190 and by the time i got to the worcester exchange with 290, it was nearing 40 and just wet.... with only hints that it snowed anew.    

Archived