joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already down to 2F.  Cold dog walk.  There is solid snow pack from Northampton to Brattleboro.  Greenfield is pretty much guaranteed a white Christmas I would think?  8-10" here, 6-8" in town.   It's actually not glacial, sort of powdery underneath the crust still.  We missed the heaviest rain yesterday and staying in the 30's didn't hurt. 

15 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

-12* this morning.  -2* was forecast and a high of 24*.  The forecasted temps haven't even been close this winter, sometimes actual temps have been 15* colder.  I don't believe it'll make the 36* climb to their forecasted high today either.  

This is not the norm.  How or why can they be so far off?

MOS has been atrocious on the rad cooling nights lately. A night with strong rad conditions and it's only spitting out lows 10-15F colder than the previous afternoon highs. You know you'll get a 25-30F drop so you need to slice 10F off of MOS to even be close. 

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You have a lot of hay?

It doesn't do much for me. My coop is elevated 2.5-3ft so -10F is right under the coop. Plus they love to eat hay/straw, but they won't touch their grit so I worry about impacted or sour crops. They prefer the tiny rocks in the driveway, but that is iced over now for the foreseeable future.  When I went in this morning it was 0F in there and -5F out. They'll survive fine with ventilation, but my 2 leghorns have the huge combs and wattles. They're a Mediterranean breed that didn't evolve for this crap. 

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It doesn't do much for me. My coop is elevated 2.5-3ft so -10F is right under the coop. Plus they love to eat hay/straw, but they won't touch their grit so I worry about impacted or sour crops. They prefer the tiny rocks in the driveway, but that is iced over now for the foreseeable future.  When I went in this morning it was 0F in there and -5F out. They'll survive fine with ventilation, but my 2 leghorns have the huge combs and wattles. They're a Mediterranean breed that didn't evolve for this crap. 

5 hours ago, WthrJunkyME said:

-12* this morning.  -2* was forecast and a high of 24*.  The forecasted temps haven't even been close this winter, sometimes actual temps have been 15* colder.  I don't believe it'll make the 36* climb to their forecasted high today either.  

This is not the norm.  How or why can they be so far off?

I have to eat my words.  Although I'm right about the low, they nailed the high.  It's currently 23*, wow it sure came up.

Archived