Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It looks like the areas of record low sea ice and warm SST's near Alaska and Scandinavia are battling for dominance.

Notice how the block jumps from near Alaska to Scandinavia later in the month. Unfortunately, we saw this also

occur in December 2007 with a rapid vortex/block reversal.

That's a good point. Ensembles were hinting at this possibility last weekend then backed off. Now it's looking more likely again. Hopefully, we don't lock in that look going into Jan. like that year did.

Jan1-15-08.gif

2 hours ago, EasternLI said:

That's a good point. Ensembles were hinting at this possibility last weekend then backed off. Now it's looking more likely again. Hopefully, we don't lock in that look going into Jan. like that year did.

If the pattern reversal does indeed occur later in December, then we would need the big Kara/Scandinavian ridge to build back across the pole 

like we saw at the end of last December. But there is no guarantee that would repeat again. Many of these winter 2000's blocks have

gotten stuck over the Eurasian Arctic leaving the vortex in place around Alaska.

Even though next weekend's storm will be a big cutter, we'll have a tremendous arctic airmass in place at the end of the week. So I'd think we'd see a little front end dump early Saturday before it changes to rain. Do you guys agree? I'd like to see areas near the coast get a couple inches of snow out of this pattern before it flips to warm. Next Saturday is looking like the only chance since the midweek wave is looking flat and south. 

I for one would not worry too much about a December 2007-2008 repeat. As according to the 00 UTC indices it is showing the NAO trending down to neutral from positive. Could be a signal of it heading to negative. On top of that the EPO weather forecast's haven't been too reliable. I remember it saying the EPO would go positive before but than reverse to negative instead. It looks more like a reload. 

22 minutes ago, leo1000 said:

I for one would not worry too much about a December 2007-2008 repeat. As according to the 00 UTC indices it is showing the NAO trending down to neutral from positive. Could be a signal of it heading to negative. On top of that the EPO weather forecast's haven't been too reliable. I remember it saying the EPO would go positive before but than reverse to negative instead. It looks more like a reload. 

Its posssible that was just the Euro trying to change the pattern too early.  Right now this flip seems more unanimous and consistent among both ensembles.  I'm not sure though that it won't just be a 2 week flip.

30 minutes ago, leo1000 said:

Must have been a gradient winter down there cause I remember that winter being somewhat normal as far as snowfall went. 

21 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Eps is even worse for the end of December. +pna and +nao ugly 

It did show a very good pattern in the long range . Grain of salt like we should take long range models.

Anyway, GFS has arctic squalls for Thursday which could lay down some snow cover and a good front end for the weekend. GFS lost the cutter.

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This is looking like one of the most impressive cold mid-December to warm late December pattern reversals that we have seen.

The million dollar question is it a transient pattern reversal or does it linger into January?

eps_z500a_noram_19.png

eps_z500a_noram_41.png

Cfs2 says we flip. But that's a huge grain of salt 

39 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

It did show a very good pattern in the long range . Grain of salt like we should take long range models.

Anyway, GFS has arctic squalls for Thursday which could lay down some snow cover and a good front end for the weekend. GFS lost the cutter.

In addition to Thursday's squalls, 18z GFS gives southern Jersey close to 1 inch of snow with a little wave late Wednesday. We still have to watch out for a potential little arctic wave Wednesday. Not looking impressive, but something to keep an eye on. 

Archived