Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

That warm front is very strong and means business. The models are showing the boundary layer skyrocketing very quickly once it passes. Tremendous WAA. Like you said, temps may hit the 50's Saturday night into early Sunday morning. Almost certainly accompanied by heavy fog

After 2 to 3 falls around the city and 4 to 6 N and W .

That 50 reverses hard 6 hours later .

Its gone again for 3 more days which falls inside the entire 12 day  well BN prriod .

8th thru 20th 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, doncat said:

Yeah the pattern shift from Dec 89 to Jan 90 was extreme...Mean temp here in Dec was 24.6 and in Jan 39.8 degrees, The coldest and warmest respective months on this stations record.

What was your mean for Jan 1994 and Feb 2015? You didn't get below 24.6F?

Ok I saw you had colder but what were the figures?

3 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

After 2 to 3 falls around the city and 4 to 6 N and W .

That 50 reverses hard 6 hours later .

Its gone again for 3 more days which falls inside the entire 12 day  well BN prriod .

8th thru 20th 

I think the Sunday/Monday period could be quite cold again with 850s approaching -15C with CAA behind the departing cutter. Would not be surprised to see many places struggle to break freezing Monday, esp NW suburbs with snowpack intact, and then more teens inland/low 20s in the City at night.

52 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The SE Ridge just can't stay down for long before returning. The Atlantic side during Decembers since 2011 hasn't wanted to play ball.

eps_z500a_nh_15.png

eps_z500a_nh_23.png

eps_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

I had the 5 - 20 cold BN period from late Nov and I have been out with the 25 -10 to be AN , now I think the trough will be back in the east around the 10th .

Just now, bluewave said:

February 2015 was the last time we were able to see an uninterrupted run of cold. All ourcool downs since then have been answered by warm ups a few

days later. This month doesn't hasn't been any different. It looks like a back and forth between warm and cold through the solstice before we get back into

an extended milder pattern for a while without much in the way of below normal temps.

Cvs2 is a torch for February like most winter forecast in this sub forum. We might just have a couple of weeks in January to get something 

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

February 2015 was the last time we were able to see an uninterrupted run of cold. All ourcool downs since then have been answered by warm ups a few

days later. This month doesn't hasn't been any different. It looks like a back and forth between warm and cold through the solstice before we get back into

an extended milder pattern for a while without much in the way of below normal temps.

We might actually finish above normal despite the near record low heights Thursday to Saturday. It all depends on how strong the weaker cold shot is after the Saturday SWFE. If Monday and Tuesday deliver big negatives, then we can finish below normal.

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Cvs2 is a torch for February like most winter forecast in this sub forum. We might just have a couple of weeks in January to get something 

Seasonal models aside, there is a very strong signal for a torch February and a much warmer than normal March as well. February being the real torch. Both months look to be +NAM

On 11/29/2016 at 6:40 PM, CIK62 said:

CFS says next 30 days will be in line with most of the previous 21 AN months we have experienced, just 8 days will be BN, ironically X-Mas day is a one-day holdout from the last 10 days of pizza oven heat.  Dec. 20 itself is pegged at +4SD.

As I mentioned two weeks ago,  the cold around the 10-13 was shown retreating and slipping by to the north.

Now if there were just some glasses you could wear to turn those red hues to blue....................................................

If you use the CFS you will die with the CFS

5 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

yeah it may look or sound odd at first until you realize that the precip shield is only expanding as we get later in the day,also there's is a small tap of gulf and atlantic moisture starting to occur. just need to see how close this critter gets before the front blasts through with a squall line.

Nam is showing this as all rain.... 850 temps -5 to -10 yet 2mt mid to upper 30s 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Seasonal models aside, there is a very strong signal for a torch February and a much warmer than normal March as well. February being the real torch. Both months look to be +NAM

unless there is some sort of reinforcement of the La Niña I'm not sure the extremely warm February will end up transpiring

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Nam is showing this as all rain.... 850 temps -5 to -10 yet 2mt mid to upper 30s 

yeah i highly doubt we get past 40 degrees today with low dp's it's more then possible for it to actually be all snow once the wet bulb temps are reached,esp away from the immed coastline. but this baby is still juicing up and the details are of now casting nature.. still it's atleast some positive news lol..

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Cvs2 is a joke. It keeps flip flopping. Do you really believe what it shows for 2 months out? People are freaking out for no reason.

1 minute ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

yeah i highly doubt we get past 40 degrees today with low dp's it's more then possible for it to actually be all snow,esp away from the immed coastline. but this baby is juicing up so we shall see guys.

I think we will have a better chance with the arctic squalls than with the storm for tomorrow 

May as well start a thread for Saturday, seems inevitable something goes down at this point, although most likely inland again.  The coast may do significantly better this time if the PARA GFS is correct.  I think even if not the coast will see 1-2 inches based on most of the models right now because we have a deeper cold air mass this time.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

May as well start a thread for Saturday, seems inevitable something goes down at this point, although most likely inland again.  The coast may do significantly better this time if the PARA GFS is correct.  I think even if not the coast will see 1-2 inches based on most of the models right now because we have a deeper cold air mass this time.

Agree

Every model shows at least an inch for NYC before the changeover. Hopefully the low trends flatter and we get more WAA snows before the changeover .

26 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Skill levels at that timeframe are exceptionally low.

Agree Don , I look at the Euro weeklies out to week 3 and even there its a crap shoot.

If the prior day 15 ensembles are wrong so will week 3 .

After that they r a joke 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Goose I have 2 to 3 city , 4 to 6 N and W

Latest NAM gets NYC down to 15 degrees Friday morning. This would be the coldest December reading of the 2010's so far.

It would also be the first time since 2010 that NYC had a daily high temperature in the 20's during December.

NYC December 2010's monthly minimums....2015...34...2014...24...2013...19...2012...28...2011...22...2010...19

f72.gif

if you're looking ten days down the road tomorrow it will have a different ending...As Don said the skill level is low...The ao is rising to a pretty high number but is forecast to drop to negative late in the period...at least most of the members do...the nao which has been negative is forecast to rise late in the period...but some members stay negative...

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Latest NAM gets NYC down to 15 degrees Friday morning. This would be the coldest December reading of the 2010's so far.

It would also be the first time since 2010 that NYC had a daily high temperature in the 20's during December.

NYC December 2010's monthly minimums....2015...34...2014...24...2013...19...2012...28...2011...22...2010...19

f72.gif

core of the brutal 850s misses the area by about 200 miles which would prevent a low below 10.

2 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

core of the brutal 850s misses the area by about 200 miles which would prevent a low below 10.

Yeah, the PV is very compact and is forecast to travel further NE through New England than just a few days ago.

Those 500 mb heights over Maine would be among the lowest on record for the month of December.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the PV is very compact and is forecast to travel further NE through New England than just a few days ago.

Those 500 mb heights over Maine would be among the lowest on record for the month of December.

Yeah, this is a pretty sharp but quick cold shot.  How long can it stick around and keep Saturday's event frozen is the question.

Archived