• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

Ginx snewx

Elevation making a big difference  around me right now.  I changed to very wet snow an hour ago.   34.8F.  Actually now that its lighter  its going rain back to snow every few minutes.  Looking up at the ridgeline behind me the trees are white at the top. Barely make out the top in 1 mile vis snow.  Yet looking below me I can see about 6 miles or more so just plain rain around 500 feet. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol raining at 900-1400ft on the way down the road but snowing in the village and at 1500ft.  Craziest thing I've seen yet.  As I left the resort parking lot, snow went from 1.5" to 0" between 1500-1400ft.  Then it changed to rain.  Then a few miles later as I'm getting home at 750ft it goes back to snow with a paste on the trees and grass.

lookin at the smuggs webcams, all white from village (1100') up the mountain. it seems like they've gotten more snow (little/no grass visible) vs stowe (grassy shots). as much as one can tell from the webcams. something happening on the leeside of Mansfield... seems to have gone all snow in  BTV recently. no accum.

17 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yes, they hoisted an advisory early this morning and then dropped it a couple hours ago. It was for 4-8"

Does SE CT or E Ct have a chance of more squalls with this, picking up moisture from LI sound as this winds up? 

Looks like that area is getting decent snows, band doesn't want to budge

Rapidly closing in on the 10" mark for the storm total, 8.5" depth. It's absolute dumpage out there right now as the Froude number must be perfect for my location. Froude has risen a little as the PGF on the backside of the storm has helped to increase the winds as it pulls away to the NE. It was a little lower earlier allowing for the silhouette of the sun to briefly appear through the clouds with much lighter snow. This resulted in some compaction and melting for a bit when temps rose to 33-34° F.

Roads were snow covered early this morning before clearing. They are beginning to grease up again now though. What an awesome event!

7 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Rapidly closing in on the 10" mark for the storm total, 8.5" depth. It's absolute dumpage out there right now as the Froude number must be perfect for my location. Froude has risen a little as the PGF on the backside of the storm has helped to increase the winds as it pulls away to the NE. It was a little lower earlier allowing for the silhouette of the sun to briefly appear through the clouds with much lighter snow. This resulted in some compaction and melting for a bit when temps rose to 33-34° F.

Roads were snow covered early this morning before clearing. They are beginning to grease up again now though. What an awesome event!

Congrats man. Your plot up in Woodford must be good for 20" in this one I think too.  

34 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Nice Mitch--you're the envy of SNE today.

2 hours ago, ono said:

lookin at the smuggs webcams, all white from village (1100') up the mountain. it seems like they've gotten more snow (little/no grass visible) vs stowe (grassy shots). as much as one can tell from the webcams. something happening on the leeside of Mansfield... seems to have gone all snow in  BTV recently. no accum.

Yeah I had an inch down in town earlier but now the warm ground has melted it back.  Still white but lots of grass blades.

Just some more elevation needed.  From 1,500-1,800ft is a big difference and there's 5-6" as of an hour ago at 2,000ft and up.

Now snowing at all elevations.  If you looked at the temps the cold air seemed to come UP the Champlain Valley and hit the west side first so that probably helped them get accums quicker lower down in elevation.  Though I still can't figure out how we accumulated so well at 750ft and it struggled so much at 1,500ft but then once you got to 1,800ft it was back to just full on paste job.

15109478_10102741187804530_2885250406906

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I had an inch down in town earlier but now the warm ground has melted it back.  Still white but lots of grass blades.

Just some more elevation needed.  From 1,500-1,800ft is a big difference and there's 5-6" as of an hour ago at 2,000ft and up.

Now snowing at all elevations.  If you looked at the temps the cold air seemed to come UP the Champlain Valley and hit the west side first so that probably helped them get accums quicker lower down in elevation.  Though I still can't figure out how we accumulated so well at 750ft and it struggled so much at 1,500ft but then once you got to 1,800ft it was back to just full on paste job.

15109478_10102741187804530_2885250406906

Awesome! Enjoy!  nice picture...We shall be patient in Southern NH...we wait our turn

Archived