• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

Jan '96 was the storm that reeled me in. I remember Al Roker increasing totals each tv appearance. He had an exasperated look on, almost like he didn't believe it. I was 12, and recall my dad saying "it's not going to be so bad you'll have school". Ended up with 30" of glory, with incredible snow drifts. We didn't have school for three days while my dad plowed for 24 hours straight. 

The birth of a weather weenie for sure. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

Jan '96 was the storm that reeled me in. I remember Al Roker increasing totals each tv appearance. He had an exasperated look on, almost like he didn't believe it. I was 12, and recall my dad saying "it's not going to be so bad you'll have school". Ended up with 30" of glory, with incredible snow drifts. We didn't have school for three days while my dad plowed for 24 hours straight. 

The birth of a weather weenie for sure. 

Hurricane Hugo did it for me in 1989, in Charlotte.  We had 110mph winds, building was swaying - it was insane.

10 hours ago, BxEngine said:

The best is when i take a jebwalk during a storm at like 2 am. Wife asks where im going, i actually respond "for a jebwalk", and she just goes back to sleep muttering. 

lmao.. Bro this happen to me the other night. Wife looked at me like I had 10 d**** hanging off my forehead. I said hush leave me be

5 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Haha, mine will join me as long as it's not too crazy out.  I am ready for some good snow and 50mph winds here.

I hear ya man. We are all junkies in here! It truly is an addiction that only we can understand. When I was 11 I started noticing my love for weather and as I got older I realized I wasn't alone! lol. Bill Evans board then WWBB then Eastern and now AMWX. Some of us have been on these boards together for 14 yrs or so. Craziness I tell ya

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

I hear ya man. We are all junkies in here! It truly is an addiction that only we can understand. When I was 11 I started noticing my love for weather and as I got older I realized I wasn't alone! lol. Bill Evans board then WWBB then Eastern and now AMWX. Some of us have been on these boards together for 14 yrs or so. Craziness I tell ya

I joined WWBB the fall after the awful March 2001 debacle (in VA it was devastating).  If I had only known!!  Yea these boards are a community at this point - even if we move around, we all stick together!

I think it was the 2005 hurricane season that sparked my interest in weather. I experienced Dennis in Florida, I remember the tornado watches/warnings and seeing debris (chairs, palm fronds, etc.) fly around the hotel parking lot. We didn't see the worst of it, but it was enough to put a little fear in me at that age. I remember watching TWC all night during Katrina's landfall, never did I think it'd end up as bad as it did.

white Christmas's during weak la nina or weak negative Decembers using mei data...latest number was -0.379...new one comes out soon...I estimate it will be near -0.400...

year...snow on ground...

1912.....11".........11.4" 12/24

1945.......7"..........8.1" 12/19-20...3.2" 12/14...0.6" 12/10...rain Christmas night...
1948.......5"........16.0" 12/19-20
1959.......4"........13.7" 12/21-22
1960.......1"........15.2" 12/11-12.....1.3" 12/19
1962......trace.......2.7" 12/21-22......0.3" 12/25...rain Christmas night...
1966.......7"..........7.1" 12/24-25......1.2" 12/21
1980......trace.......1.0" 12/24...0.6" 12/23
1983.......1"..........1.0" 12/23-24
1995.......4"..........7.7" 12/19-20...0.5" 12/16...1.7" 12/14...1.5" 12/9...
2000......trace.......0.7" 12/20

I liked 1966 and 1959 Decembers as my main analogs and this year could end up with snow on the ground for Christmas...at least the chances are there this far out...

Up In the greens of southern Vermont for the weekend. Only about 3" of snow on the ground at 1500'. Debating if I should stay tomorrow night and watch the snow. Have to be at work on Monday at 3pm in the city but need to be back on the island to drop off the gf before hand. Thoughts? Should I wait it out out or head out tomorrow before it starts  

We better get a 3-6" snowstorm before this cold pattern breaks down in January (per Isotherm) or that lethal 2007-2008 analog will come into play.

Model trends in the past 48 hours have been just horrible for snow lovers: today's "storm" is DOA for NYC; the midweek storm is on life support; and next weekend's storm looks like a cutter at this point in time.

What a waste of cold air....

3 hours ago, Hailstorm said:

We better get a 3-6" snowstorm before this cold pattern breaks down in January (per Isotherm) or that lethal 2007-2008 analog will come into play.

Model trends in the past 48 hours have been just horrible for snow lovers: today's "storm" is DOA for NYC; the midweek storm is on life support; and next weekend's storm looks like a cutter at this point in time.

Oh man you're back. 

7 hours ago, Hailstorm said:

Pretty ugly.   Needed some help from the Atlantic this week.  At least it feels like Christmas.   Let's hope the torch after 12/20 on the models is wrong.

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Pretty ugly.   Needed some help from the Atlantic this week.  At least it feels like Christmas.   Let's hope the torch after 12/20 on the models is wrong.

The pattern now depicted on virtually all of the maps is as bad as I've ever seen it at this time of year. Just terrible. I wish I could change my entries on the seasonal snowfall contests to single digits, 10" at best, for NYC. It really looks terrible and I have difficulty seeing how it changes, it's locked in. I'm looking forward to a wet spring.

WX/PT

9 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Lol @ banking on long terms to cancel winter on Dec 11th....

I will grant that it's probably easier for you and me to swallow the upcoming pattern because of our expected snowstorm tonight, but still... seems heavy-handed to punt winter before Christmas. Last year proved yet again that it only takes one. 

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived