joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is verbatim a devastating run for Volusia County.  I have friends down there and travel there every winter for speedweeks. Like many coastal areas, tremendous development has been underway since the last hurricanes of 2004 which gave that area a "glancing" blow.  

That noon run needs to be a wake up call for anyone east of 95 to get out.  

I also believe that we'll see a more rapid re-strengthening period today. Matthew has large, sprawling bands well removed from the center, so once a firm CDO (with embedded eye) can really establish itself it should be able feed off the environment quite nicely.

Shear should become a non-factor later today, so the OHC should be able to be fully utilized. 

7 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

This is verbatim a devastating run for Volusia County.  I have friends down there and travel there every winter for speedweeks. Like many coastal areas, tremendous development has been underway since the last hurricanes of 2004 which gave that area a "glancing" blow.  

That noon run needs to be a wake up call for anyone east of 95 to get out.  

They already have mandatory evacuations in place for the barrier islands. Have to be out by 3 pm today.

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

"Mandatory"  there is no law that forces people from their home.  It's essentially a strongly worded evacuation order.  

Also means we are not coming to get you if you stay and the doody hits the fan.

5 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Also means we are not coming to get you if you stay and the doody hits the fan.

Basically, Nikki Haley said you're putting rescue worker lives in danger if you don't leave and they have to come get you in today's press conference.  Makes sense, interstate will be switched to one way at 3PM and they'll be offering buses to get people to the Upstate, etc.   

12z GFS decapitates (decouples) Matthew after the anticyclonic loop...with the mid level low heading east and vanishing and the low level low heading SW. By day 13 there's still some surface reflection in the BoC...Nicole is racing east by day 13 across the Atlantic.

12z Ukmet is similar to previous few runs, close but no landfall in FL...landfall in SC, then anticylonic loop...weak low just north of the Bahamas heading south at day 6.

24 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

"Mandatory"  there is no law that forces people from their home.  It's essentially a strongly worded evacuation order.  

Okay as someone who is a first responder, and has dealt with evacuating people for river flooding on numerous occasions, I fully understand this. I was simply relaying what Gov Haley said.

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

For those with access to the maps, have the impacts for NC changed on the 12Z runs?  

I'm following the description but don't see anything about NC.

Minimal effects from the GFS.  CMC shows landfall between MYR and ILM, then just rides the coast and ots.

8 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

For those with access to the maps, have the impacts for NC changed on the 12Z runs?  

I'm following the description but don't see anything about NC.

Relatively minor impact, mainly in the form of rain most probably, or TS winds close to the coastal NC/SC border.

24 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

I would think it would be something like "if you don't evacuate, give us the name of your next of kin in case you don't make it".

That's a common scare tactic.  Christie used it for Irene and it failed.  I'm not stating that evacuations aren't necessary, far from it, but they need to have teeth behind them and be used judiciously. Local government also needs to realize that if you order a population to be evacuated that transportation must be provided for those with access and functional needs along with a place to stay.  Not everyone can afford to go to a Hotel 20 miles inland.  I was hoping that Katrina would've fixed a lot of these issues but it's been 4,000 days since the last major hurricane made landfall in the US and little seems to have been done to fix easy issues.  We continue to be a failure of our lack of foresight.  Matthew will just continue that unfortunately.  

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived