Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z HWRF keeps the core off the FL coast. 946.9mb about 100 miles SE of Savannah at 03z Saturday.

But came West quite a bit from 6Z irt FL coast. This also being the farther East tropical model this whole time iirc so that shift is a red flag. 

Edit: Compare 48 hrs this run to the 6z run at 54hrs specifically.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That's a common scare tactic.  Christie used it for Irene and it failed.  I'm not stating that evacuations aren't necessary, far from it, but they need to have teeth behind them and be used judiciously. Local government also needs to realize that if you order a population to be evacuated that transportation must be provided for those with access and functional needs along with a place to stay.  Not everyone can afford to go to a Hotel 20 miles inland.  I was hoping that Katrina would've fixed a lot of these issues but it's been 4,000 days since the last major hurricane made landfall in the US and little seems to have been done to fix easy issues.  We continue to be a failure of our lack of foresight.  Matthew will just continue that unfortunately.  

Please move this to banter if need be mods but South Carolina is providing shelter and transportation for anyone who needs it. They have 400 school buses from Greenville, SC going down and picking people up and bringing them to Columbia where they closed all the schools and set up shelters at all of them. I think there are more school buses on the way as well. 

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

shear from the North seems stronger than expected, look at all the cloud tops blowing from north-to-south over Cuba. It could also be why Matthew is moving faster than expected. 

I feel a Florida landfall is about certain at this point.

LOL, that's called outflow.

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That's a common scare tactic.  Christie used it for Irene and it failed.  I'm not stating that evacuations aren't necessary, far from it, but they need to have teeth behind them and be used judiciously. Local government also needs to realize that if you order a population to be evacuated that transportation must be provided for those with access and functional needs along with a place to stay.  Not everyone can afford to go to a Hotel 20 miles inland.  I was hoping that Katrina would've fixed a lot of these issues but it's been 4,000 days since the last major hurricane made landfall in the US and little seems to have been done to fix easy issues.  We continue to be a failure of our lack of foresight.  Matthew will just continue that unfortunately.  

unfortunately, you're correct. as for not having places of refuge for such an event, the big problem is you need cash to build such a place, as well as maintain it. and a lot of places just don't have such an expenditure as a priority.

but i do wonder though. have there been IWT meetings down in NC/SC/FL like there were in Alabama, Houston, recently northeast PA, and several CWA's up here (MPX, which I attended, ARX, ABR, and also FSD)? and if so, how are those meetings maybe affecting the messaging down in this part of the US right now?

2 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

shear from the North seems stronger than expected, look at all the cloud tops blowing from north-to-south over Cuba. It could also be why Matthew is moving faster than expected. 

Im not an expert but isn't that just the outflow from the storm? 

7 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

Shear is currently analyzed at around 5kts, down from 10-15 a few hours ago.

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

That's the outflow from the storm, not shear.

2 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

The eye and CDO is looking pretty healthy to me. I don't think it has a hard time getting back to a cat 4 by tonight. I just hope there's not a rapid intensification round that takes it back to a cat 5. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

I think the GFS is the only Florida landfall among the 12z's at this point.  Someone can correct me if that's wrong.

4 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

Think land may still be causing the surface center to be displaced north of the 500mb center.

7 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

It's still interfering.

Outflow can't interfere...it's created by the cyclone itself.

Also, it appears the tropical winds radii has compacted some after landfall in Haiti and Cuba...from 185 to 175 miles. Good call on that...not

1 minute ago, wxmx said:

Outflow can't interfere...it's created by the cyclone itself.

Also, it appears the tropical winds radii has compacted some after landfall in Haiti and Cuba...from 185 to 175 miles. Good call on that...not

Some people here the last two days really need to read more and post less.

The eye is definitely closing on IR, but I'm wondering if that's just an internal process as the cyclone completes what is effectively an ERC.

I'm impressed by how good the storm looks, especially the last few frames.   Area of deepest convection continues to expand, to the point where it's now covering the eye.   Better banding.  Core is already mostly rebuilt.  Dry slot to the North already mixed out.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived