Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

44 minutes ago, TomAtkins said:

So South Carolina or Georgia in these models?

I don't think extreme surge is really happening with this storm.  I am sure there are local areas that will be flooded regardless. Do not rely on me please though, check your local forecasts.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

....I can't see one reason why this won't reach at least 150mph max sustained later tonight or tomorrow....IMO, this has a 50/50 chance of getting back to Cat. 5...

This. CDO structure/inner core convection is recovering rapidly and SSTs are 30C along the rest of the track (about 1-2C above normal) with ideal shear/upper level outflow conditions.

1 minute ago, csnavywx said:

This. CDO structure/inner core convection is recovering rapidly and SSTs are 30C along the rest of the track (about 1-2C above normal) with ideal shear/upper level outflow conditions.

And little concerns of dry air...over water or the SE...Nocturnal cooling of cloud tops....he should flex tonight....

....the ONLY uncertainty is the inner core dynamics (secondary/concentric eyewalls)..

Matthew is rebuilding his upper structures at this time....as he does so, in a vigorous fashion, you'll see, from time to time, the eye disappear, as new hot towers explode above the existing canopy...which allows for T-storm anvils to obscure the eye briefly....but once those "towers" circle the center, the anvils either flow "out" or evaporate and sink into the center...clearing it out....

8 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Matthew is rebuilding his upper structures at this time....as he does so, in a vigorous fashion, you'll see, from time to time, the eye disappear, as new hot towers explode above the existing canopy...which allows for T-storm anvils to obscure the eye briefly....but once those "towers" circle the center, the anvils either flow "out" or evaporate and sink into the center...clearing it out....

Thanks for the knowledgeable information you have been posting.

The satellite shots show just about everything improving with this storm over the last 4-6 hours. Forecast track is looking to take this very close to Freeport and Nassau. When was the last time a Cat 4 rolled across those islands?  Matthew is getting his act together for what looks to be a historic run at the Central Bahamas. I daresay this storm is going to be historic there. I dont remember a strong Cat 4 or 5 in this region in a very long time!

3 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

FWIW the latest runs of the WSI RPM have shifted well east, no coastal wind impact of note....This is still in line with the overall hurricane model spaghetti consensus. This still could be just a big tease.....

How much is this model actually worth in the tropics though? A lot of the spaghetti models are generally useless when it comes to actual operational forecasts. The EPS/GEFS are certainly threatening to the coast in the majority of solutions.

2 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

FWIW the latest runs of the WSI RPM have shifted well east, no coastal wind impact of note....This is still in line with the overall hurricane model spaghetti consensus. This still could be just a big tease.....

Where can that be viewed?

I know all you guys are commenting on Matthew really looking better but I am going to disagree a bit.  CDO is currently expanding which is an indication of intensification.  Stepping back and looking at the whole storm the outflow channels they just don't look great.  Air has to evacuate.  CDO has to come around to the SW side of the eye.  As anyone ever noticed that sometimes after a storm goes through RI and then passes over a land mass that it never gets its act together again to re achieve its former self?  Low wind shear, warm sea temps should all help the storm to re-intensify but sometimes they just don't. It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next 12 hours regarding intensity.

Recon will pass through eye very shortly

11 minutes ago, DeltaPilot said:

The satellite shots show just about everything improving with this storm over the last 4-6 hours. Forecast track is looking to take this very close to Freeport and Nassau. When was the last time a Cat 4 rolled across those islands?  Matthew is getting his act together for what looks to be a historic run at the Central Bahamas. I daresay this storm is going to be historic there. I dont remember a strong Cat 4 or 5 in this region in a very long time!

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

If I didn't screw this up, there has been exactly one Cat 4 or 5 in the central Bahamas in the last 80 years - Andrew

bahamas.JPG

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I know all you guys are commenting on Matthew really looking better but I am going to disagree a bit.  CDO is currently expanding which is an indication of intensification.  Stepping back and looking at the whole storm the outflow channels they just don't look great.  Air has to evacuate.  CDO has to come around to the SW side of the eye.  As anyone ever noticed that sometimes after a storm goes through RI and then passes over a land mass that it never gets its act together again to re achieve its former self?  Low wind shear, warm sea temps should all help the storm to re-intensify but sometimes they just don't. It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next 12 hours regarding intensity.

A storm that is intensifying often looks "worse" than when it reaches steady state conditions....

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Good post. Very few storms go back to strong 4 or five after being disrupted by land to the extent Matthew has been. Not saying it cannot happen, but I think it is not the most likely scenario, and the intensity models agree.

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Regardless of the past history of a system, it is the current and future conditions that Matthew will have for the next 2 days that will drive him back up in intensity....

...yes, a previous landfall will disrupt the COC's at different levels, but if favorable conditions are there for strengthening, then he will.

5 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Good post. Very few storms go back to strong 4 or five after being disrupted by land to the extent Matthew has been. Not saying it cannot happen, but I think it is not the most likely scenario, and the intensity models agree.

While certainly there are times when a storm goes over land it takes "quite awhile" to re-establish the structure to intensify back to a previous status, I think the fact that very few storms do so (as you have correctly stated) is more a function of more land interaction, dryer air chances go up when near land for "awhile"...etc. 

The fact is, we have an intact MH in bathwater, with little shear and little dry air concerns...and by most/all accounts, an intact inner core......

....Matthew will get stronger tonight.....much stronger....

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Strongly disagree with this post.  There are excellent outflow channels available for Matthew - look at the shear map.  The reason it doesn't jump out on the satellite is that Matthew's deep convection was disrupted by passing over Cuba.  But the phenomenon you describe - where the core gets disrupted and deep convection gets displaced from the center - is obviously not what happened here.  Quite the opposite.   As the cirrus from the deep convection near the center spreads, this will quickly look like a normal hurricane again.

TL; DR:  This is not Hurricane Georges, and using folk wisdom about how land interaction always disrupts the inner core of a TC doesn't make it so.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived