Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

with Matt moving slightly faster than expected, that's enough evidence for me.  

those charts vary significantly. even hour to hour.

Please educate us as I am trying to learn tropics.....so a system moving faster than expected is due in part to shear that it is encountering?

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

with Matt moving slightly faster than expected, that's enough evidence for me.  

those charts vary significantly. even hour to hour.

It's outflow. The worst part is, is that despite everyone respectfully correcting you, you still fail to admit that you are wrong. Being wrong doesn't bother me, I'm wrong all the time, but it's when you're wrong and refuse to admit it, that bothers me.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Please educate us as I am trying to learn tropics.....so a system moving faster than expected is due in part to shear that it is encountering?

Optimal movement would be what NHC currently has it at.  10 to 15 MPH.  (they say it's currently 12mph)  But it appears to be moving faster than that.   They'll probably update at 2 or 5pm.

And what is occurring now is not what you call optimal outflow. 

Just now, Bacon Strips said:

Optimal movement would be what NHC currently has it at.  10 to 15 MPH.  (they say it's currently 12mph)  But it appears to be moving faster than that.   They'll probably update at 2 or 5pm.

But how would what you call 'shear' affect the forward speed of the system? Arent shear and steering currents 2 completely different atmospheric levels?

2 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

What's occurring now is that you're becoming dangerously close to riding out the storm offline.

You called it shear so how would you know it's not optimal outflow.  Frankly you don't know what you are talking about.  

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

But how would what you call 'shear' affect the forward speed of the system? Arent shear and steering currents 2 completely different atmospheric levels?

It's clear he's just using tropical word salad. "The forecasted amplification of the shear is in excess of the forward motion of the anticyclonic flow during low tide..."

It is in low shear environment...as the COC's realign themselves, and the deep thunderstorms wrap completely...and this will take on the classic intense hurricane "look" again....

17 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

What would need to happen for it to continue north toward NC again?

Least amount of interaction with FL coast combined with increased forward speed allowing Matthew to stay ahead of the trough and begin to phase with it near eastern NC, this risk appears to have dropped to about one in ten now, only the CMC (GEM) has any hint of the storm failing to loop or meander and even its depiction is not all that robust beyond SC, very last minute pick-up of a rapidly weakening Matthew on that model. 

This is really about as nowcasting a tropical cyclone situation as we've seen in recent years, a lot depends on what happens in the next 12-24 hours, if it gets back to cat-4 then I think it has more chance of picking up forward speed but at the same time that probably increases the risk to central FL too, if the storm underperforms it is more likely to get trapped in the loop out to sea and would likely stay well off the FL coast. 

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived