Newest Member
    SnowHabit
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, dryslot said:

They are harmless really, They do have a prehistoric look to them, I believe, They are the fish that they extract eggs from to make caviar

Most species of sturgeon are considered to be at risk of extinction, making them more critically endangered than any other group of species.[8] .  Surf Fishing at Reid State Park last year a very large sturgeon leaped  just feet away.  I didn't even know they still existed  until I looked it up.

10 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Most species of sturgeon are considered to be at risk of extinction, making them more critically endangered than any other group of species.[8] .  Surf Fishing at Reid State Park last year a very large sturgeon leaped  just feet away.  I didn't even know they still existed  until I looked it up.

I have talked to quite a few guys i know that fish the Kennebec and the Androscoggin below Topsham that have seen them come out of the water and its pretty impressive, They seem to be making a come back of sorts, There was one caught in the Penobscott River recently which had been absent for over 200 yrs it was said

38 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I have talked to quite a few guys i know that fish the Kennebec and the Androscoggin below Topsham that have seen them come out of the water and its pretty impressive, They seem to be making a come back of sorts, There was one caught in the Penobscott River recently which had been absent for over 200 yrs it was said

A co-worker who used to do a lot of striper fishing at night near the site of the since-removed Edwards Dam in Augusta said there were times when one of those piscine relics would hurtle clear of the water less than 20 feet from the boat, sometimes seeing such leaps dozens of times an evening.  A 100-lb fish makes quite the splash.   I cross the low bridge, near Old Fort Western, in each direction when I'm working in the office, and though I've only caught sight of the fish once, I've seen the ripples from re-entry a dozen times.  The Kennebec supports two species of sturgeon, short-nosed (which is endangered) and Atlantic, which I think is a "species of special concern."  (Loons have that same status in Maine.)  Sturgeons are bottom feeders with mouths that are small in relation to body size.  And Jeff is correct about caviar, though it's also imitated using the eggs of other fish.  Beluga sturgeon provide the classic version, but they've become scarce in their Black/Caspian Sea home waters.

Could not figure any other place to post this - What's going on in the west Pac?  Wunderground shows two TCs southeast of Japan, which itself isn't odd, but according to the site's tracking maps, by Sunday morning they will be in almost the same location but traveling in nearly opposite directions.   ???   I'll check this PM to see if it was just some glitch that had the northerly one moving toward the west.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Could not figure any other place to post this - What's going on in the west Pac?  Wunderground shows two TCs southeast of Japan, which itself isn't odd, but according to the site's tracking maps, by Sunday morning they will be in almost the same location but traveling in nearly opposite directions.   ???   I'll check this PM to see if it was just some glitch that had the northerly one moving toward the west.

Euro looks like it has three distinct shortwaves, the southern two fujiwara and that's probably why you see one system go south while the northern ones recurves.

Archived