joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 3/4 "Last Gasp?" - Model Disco and Obs

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone help a weather noob out. What's keeping the moisture from expanding out further west according to the 4k NAM here?

nam4km_ref_frzn_neus_15.png

Seems a little compact compared to what I normally see with a low just off the coast. I guess one could argue it's further out than "just off" the coast.

At that point the surface low is tightening up and pulling away. Wraparound will only expand so far. The air on the backside is sinking and drying. Too far away from the real dynamics. If you watch the back edge of precip on a strong low the gradient is typically sharp. Deals also with frontogenetical forcing and vectors.

You've been trying too hard to be a buzzkill the last six weeks.  You should probably stop now

I've nailed this winter going all the way back to October. I've never disputed I'm a weenie and that I want as much snow as possible, but it's been a lousy pattern for the last 6 weeks to the consternation of all. But don't blame me. I would have preferred a few more blizzards.

At that point the surface low is tightening up and pulling away. Wraparound will only expand so far. The air on the backside is sinking and drying. Too far away from the real dynamics. If you watch the back edge of precip on a strong low the gradient is typically sharp. Deals also with frontogenetical forcing and vectors.

Thanks for the explanation.  Easy to understand outside of the whole frontogenetical forcing thing, but that's what Google's for!

GFS was just noise imo. Basically the same as 12z in general. I think I've seen enough to know what to expect for my yard. 

Bar 1.5"

Max 3"

Min .5"

The min would happen one of 2 ways (or both). Simply get screwed with precip before sunrise or never hit freezing with .2 qpf overnight. 

Archived