wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Friday 3/4 "Last Gasp?" - Model Disco and Obs

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it even needs to be 150 miles. Just pull it northwest by 50-100 and I think we would get a pretty good hit.

If you looked at the 6z GFS, if you take it as gospel, if you moved it about 50-100 miles NW you would be getting well over 1 inch qpf over the area.

I agree.  I would think with this low placement and the strength of the storm there'd be a further expansion of precip to the NW.

I know there other factors at play, but I still wonder if the relatively low sea surface temperatures around the SE US are holding back precip somewhat. 

The 00z RGEM ensemble had one big hit for DC.

9xJ5KuT.png

I'm not sure it even needs to be 150 miles. Just pull it northwest by 50-100 and I think we would get a pretty good hit.

If you looked at the 6z GFS, if you take it as gospel, if you moved it about 50-100 miles NW you would be getting well over 1 inch qpf over the area.

Looks to me like the NAM is a relative miss but close.  Not as much digging at 500-mb where we'd need it so it shunts off the coast more (at 500, it does finally deepen more, but too far away), comparing to the 06Z GFS.  You can see this to some extent in the 700-mb RH/VV field, the 06Z GFS has more of a CCB signature over us.

12z RGEM keeps the storm too far southeast to amount to much here in DC.  Some initial precip associated with the weakening OH Valley system moves through the area, but the low off the southeast coast takes over and stays too far southeast to cause much of an issue for DC.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif

H5 is different. Starts out with nice amplified ridge out west but shortwave energy is not uniform as it swings out. Last night was a nice neutral trough . Southern portion dives down more and the overall pattern not supportive of a turn up the coast. More progressive and off the coast.

So close to a big hit on the GFS. That will become a vigorous system for sure. Still an advisory level event for our area.

Yes, subtle difference from 06Z it appears.  12Z has that closed low just a bit more offshore compared to 06Z.  Not sure how much it means.  But yeah, it doesn't seem like it wouldn't take a lot to become a lot more...as you say, it's still a decent advisory type event as depicted.

I agree.  I would think with this low placement and the strength of the storm there'd be a further expansion of precip to the NW.

I know this is late to reply to this but the problem there is that the low is in the early stages of development.  Its a miller b transfer situation not a miller a where by the time a storm gets to that same spot its mature with a huge CCB qpf and deform banding.  The low is just getting going and has not had time to develop a mature QPF feild yet.  It expands later on when it is OTS. 

Archived