• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 3/4 "Last Gasp?" - Model Disco and Obs

DDweatherman

Are there any signs pointing to a still changing proposition of up vs. progressive? Or this seems locked as is?

Right now it's pretty locked in across the board. I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking out of the euro suite. The para looked better than the op last night so that is good. We should just be happy with whatever we get and move on. Early spring weather is headed our way next week. I plan on enjoying it. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of us are around but I don't post much. I don't have much skill at severe or tropical so I wouldn't be adding any value. I just lurk.

That, and the fact that summer weather is usually a much more consistent animal.

I could predict partly sunny, mid to upper 80's, 30-40% chance of afternoon storms and nail a good deal of the June through August weather forecasts.  In fact, that's my forecast for the whole summer.

I'll do verification afterward..... B)

Right now it's pretty locked in across the board. I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking out of the euro suite. The para looked better than the op last night so that is good. We should just be happy with whatever we get and move on. Early spring weather is headed our way next week. I plan on enjoying it.

I'm quickly losing interest in this. From here on out I might glance at each run to see if a nice surprise has popped up but I'm not spending much time analyzing a 1-3" gone by noon type setup. Sucks that after a month of over amped we get a decent 5 day window and both vorts we have to work with get squashed. This could have been a nice event to end the season if the vort didn't dig so much. Then the epo goes to crap and ruins the rest of the month.

Thank you for the reply Sir Chill. I'm happy to see some snow fall one last time this winter. 70s and beer on the deck weather just around the corner. I know I plan on enjoying it as well. Cheers for all you do for us here. Let's bring this one home! :-)

That, and the fact that summer weather is usually a much more consistent animal.

I could predict partly sunny, mid to upper 80's, 30-40% chance of afternoon storms and nail a good deal of the June through August weather forecasts.  In fact, that's my forecast for the whole summer.

I also think that most people enjoy snow more than severe or tropical weather

I could predict partly sunny, mid to upper 80's  90s with DPs in the upper 70s, 30-40% chance of afternoon storms and nail a good deal of the June through August weather forecasts.  In fact, that's my forecast for the whole summer.

FYP a little... :sun:

I like what I see on the euro over the last 48 hours of runs. It's always tougher to compare the off-runs, so what I noticed on wxbell maps is the low looks consolidated a little better from the 0Z run last night with a slight expanse of more moderate precip to the nw. It's only a 1mb improvement, but also the center of circulation hugs the coast a little more as well.

In more detail, the 0Z run from last night has a 987 mb low just to the sw of the central Outer Banks with the .35 qpf line within a few miles of Fredericksburg (actually closer to Ashland, VA) while the 0Z run from March 1 showed a 988 mb low a few miles to the se just off the coast of the Outer Banks and the .35 qpf line appears closer Williamsburg.  (The .5 qpf line trended from VA Beach to Richmond)

These are small changes, but could be just what we need to do a little better possibly.

Take a look at the 6z gfs for example. You'd think with a 989 low sitting off the coast of obx and decent high in NW Maine, that this look would be more expansive. I understand at h5 the trough doesn't really go neutral/negative early enough for us, but hey, it's close. All we need is the s/w to dig a bit harder. Sharpen up the trough a little so the flow is so noodle soup out into the atlantic. Just saying. It's pretty close where just small adjustments brings us from 1-3" to 3-6" imho.

post-10124-0-76148800-1456940888_thumb.j

Take a look at the 6z gfs for example. You'd think with a 989 low sitting off the coast of obx and decent high in NW Maine, that this look would be more expansive. I understand at h5 the trough doesn't really go neutral/negative early enough for us, but hey, it's close. All we need is the s/w to dig a bit harder. Sharpen up the trough a little so the flow is so noodle soup out into the atlantic. Just saying. It's pretty close where just small adjustments brings us from 1-3" to 3-6" imho.

6z was VERY close to a great result for us, but it took a step back at 12z and was already an extreme outlier so using that as a baseline seems ambitous.  Furthermore, the less then expansive QPF representation is because of the miller b nature of the system.  The transfer slows down the development of a mature CCB qpf field.  THe same storm at the same intensity that was a miller a would have a more mature precip field by that point.  This develops just a slight bit late so we would need a closer SLP pass then we would with a gulf miller a system or a faster development or both.   

I'm pretty sure you wrote this off a few days ago.

Most posters wrote it off quite guardedly

Lots now in the 1-3" range with up to 6 possible and zero still possible also which is actually not forecasting

The breeding ground elements are coming together and the isobars still show how it will try and gain latitude as it is moving eastward from KY and thru NC

How much wetter is the Euro?  Anyone able to provide particular numbers?

When comparing 12Z runs only, it's a huge improvement in my view. The Low center appear to have trended north a good 100 miles eyeballing and the precip shield numbers show .3+ qpf now well in lwx! Now the .3" qpf line is in Frdericksburg and was more near VA Beach on yesterday's 12Z! Richmond appear to have increased snowfall now with a 6" swath!

It's worse than last night for the burbs and cities. The heavy stuff now into SMD. That's the big difference. 

mainly because the drier "hole" got shifted north with the run. the main shield is certainly closer.

Archived