joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 3/4 "Last Gasp?" - Model Disco and Obs

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a bit much.    It's obviously not going to be a big event, but there is pretty solid model agreement for over 0.10" liquid area-wide.   If you want to set that thrill threshold at 2", I'll give you that. :snowing:

Agree...there's no point in being overly cynical.  This was really never looking like a big event other than some hints/teases on a couple of runs.  Expecting on the order of ~2" is very reasonable.

(ETA:  Note that DCA's average snow for March is 1.3", just to add a bit of perspective)

You guys are more than welcome to tell me I was wrong after it happens.

What's with all the hand-wringing over this?  Last night when I went to bed the general consensus was 1-3" for our area and potentially more South from Fredricksburg to Richmond.  I wake up this morning and everything looks about the same, but people are disappointed?

Regardless, I think this one will be fun to track.  Everyone will be freaking out if this thing makes any slight moves North or South.  If we can manage more than 2.5" imby it will be the 2nd biggest event of the winter for me!

You guys are more than welcome to tell me I was wrong after it happens.

Never claimed you were, or will be, wrong.  Just that I think it was overly cynical to assume we'll automatically be low-balled here at this point.  Likewise, I'm not guaranteeing 2", but saying that's a reasonable expectation given what the guidance has overall shown.

Good call on this period holding alot of potential for a winter event. You never called for a significant event tho the storm will bomb, just too far East. IMO you did a solid job pinpointing the threat and we are all at least getting 'something' out of it, even if just mood flakes for some areas.

thank you. you can't possibly predict exact outcomes when looking at ranges beyond 7 days. It's all about identifying threat Windows to me. Maybe some can pinpoint track and strength from 10 days but I won't pretend to be that good. I held on to this window when things looked bad because just like when a storm looks good but the larger teleconnections don't support it we know it will trend worse the opposite is true here. But I was wrong about a longer window after this because the PAC totally broke down and I didn't expect that. Live and learn. Shane this window is kinda underperforming mostly because of lack of spacing. In March we don't even need much space but two vorts come in squashed only 36 hours apart and behind the cutter the other day. Spread them all out another 24 hours or just have one vort instead of two and we could have had a different ending.

I don't know why people are so worried about losing some to ground temps. It's pretty chilly today and most of the precip will fall at night.

Well its a light precipitation event, so dynamics really wont be there...and while yes, its chilly but 40 and sun still warms the ground....the HRRR doesnt have temps dropping all that fast tonight either, still 37 at 11PM which is around possible onset of precip, so it is possible the first .05-1 of fallen precip doesnt do much, particularly to the pavement.

Never claimed you were, or will be, wrong.  Just that I think it was overly cynical to assume we'll automatically be low-balled here at this point.  Likewise, I'm not guaranteeing 2", but saying that's a reasonable expectation given what the guidance has overall shown.

Hard not to be.

With the exception of the big storm, every event out here has been less than every location throughout the region.  This is another event where the best dynamics are east and south of my location.  It's not a big deal.  March isn't a great time for snow anyway.  But I feel very confident that whatever falls (precip), it will be much less here.  Just facts.  Not cynicism. 

Yeah, the EURO had some games I think back day 5 or 6, but once it caught on, its been solid...Id mark this one as a euro score again

outside day 5 or so everything is pretty iffy. once the euro locks on for a few runs its usually right. pretty sure the para euro never really slammed us either like the soon to be old op did for a few runs.

Yeah, the EURO had some games I think back day 5 or 6, but once it caught on, its been solid...Id mark this one as a euro score again

Totally agree. It had some minor wobbles the last 6 runs but has been steady as a rock. Unsurprisingly all other guidance now looks like the euro. 

From what I've seen so far, the para euro is pretty awesome through d3-4. Especially inside of 3. I'm not going to bet against it unless there's a compelling reason. 

If that holds let someone else start a thread. As the song goes, I ain't as good as I once was.

its got some low level problems to deal with heh. but a good track... maybe.

Use this thread for obs/nowcasts. 

Sure. OK, after a nice cloud covered and cool am mostly in the 20's, the sun has broke out here in last hour and we've zoomed up to 36.6, (maybe the saving grace dew point 20.8). If the clouds stay away another hour I see 40 being touched, then the battle is on to get back to a 32/32 wet bulb for anything reasonable to happen (1-2 / 2-4 inches) but we shall see......winds have swung around to the ESE/SE at 3-8 mph.

Totally agree. It had some minor wobbles the last 6 runs but has been steady as a rock. Unsurprisingly all other guidance now looks like the euro. 

From what I've seen so far, the para euro is pretty awesome through d3-4. Especially inside of 3. I'm not going to bet against it unless there's a compelling reason. 

The soon-to-be-op Euro appears to be raising the bar yet again.

Not sure why any would go against it at this point, especially inside of 3 days. 

The soon-to-be-op Euro appears to be raising the bar yet again.

Not sure why any would go against it at this point, especially inside of 3 days. 

because we like snow and want to root for the model that shows the best solution even if we know its wrong. 

Archived