• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

I'll agree with the c+ for now...cant rate a winter that well that had all three months above normal in temps with Dec by a ridiculous amount...Jan was about +0.6 degrees here and Feb should wind up with a pretty good plus departure with the mild ending now forecast. Great blizzard and below 0 cold for one day but not much else.

Despite the more persistent cold last winter, the snowstorms and the Arctic shots were less impressive

for NYC compared to the blizzard and the Valentine's Day Arctic outbreak. We got to 50 inches

of snowfall without  any historic single storms. The big memory from last winter for many

was missing out on the jackpot of the January snowstorm to the eastern regions and New England.

The other was NYC not being able to reach zero with such a cold month. But my number one memory

of last winter was all the ice on the local waterways.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd know if the long-range just went to utter crap when bluewave has to delete his bullish March pattern thread. And after just one set of model runs.

When I saw how the Euro completely folded on the Arctic shot for the weekend I had to change the title to a general

storm threat out of respect for the WAR and temps beating guidance. I hope at some point we can squeeze in at least

a few flakes before the spring begins.

Despite the more persistent cold last winter, the snowstorms and the Arctic shots were less impressive

for NYC compared to the blizzard and the Valentine's Day Arctic outbreak. We got to 50 inches

of snowfall without  any historic single storms. The big memory from last winter for many

was missing out on the jackpot of the January snowstorm to the eastern regions and New England.

The other was NYC not being able to reach zero with such a cold month. But my number one memory

of last winter was all the ice on the local waterways.

I actually went out and took photos around here of all that-may never see that extent again.

I'm not sure how anyone can rate the second warmest Met winter in history as a B, no matter how much snow you received. If the snow isn't around more than a week you cant' call that winter. Well I guess you can, everyone has their own rating style but IMHO this winter is an F for all of the above reasons.

The fact is since 2001/02 we have had the 3 warmest Met winters in recorded history. 2001/02, 2011/12 and 2015/16.

The average temperature in NYC from December to February in the 1960's was 32.6, in the 1970's 33.7, in the 1980's 34.9 and in the 1990's it was 36.4. That is a huge increase for a 3 month period in 30 years time. It seems to have leveled off since then, during the 2000's it was 35.2, and so far this decade including this extended fall, it is 35.9.

What am I saying? I'm not sure I like the trade off of some winters that are snowier, for a lot of mild winters.

I forbid anyone in this subforum from rating the winter higher than a C-

Its an A on Long Island

150 % of N snow there .

Below 0 for the 1st time in 30 years.

I have seen an entire decade of crap. The last 15 are not the norm.

Eventually these great winters will even out.

It's an A for them.

C+/B- here.    December sucked.  on the northern edge of the blizz, still got 14 though and a few smaller events, but winter basically ended 2/10 or so with regard to snowfall.   3 week winter in that dept.  No real cold locking in.   No sustained blocking either (outside of the mid Jan episode) which would have helped with these cutters.  March is still a wildcard, so the score could go up.

Average snowfall year to date, above normal temps, won't really be remembered for much locally

C for the winter. The snow from the blizzard barely lasted a week and the slush was disgusting. No sustained cold either. I don't care if we had one day below zero and one major blizzard. If I wanted to experience only a couple days of real winter, I could have spent a weekend vacationing out West...

Yes,put them both together and we had a week/week and a half of winter. But if NE had a better winter would that have

made are's worse?

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart, but I'm going to hold off on grabbing a stockload of car tailpipes for now:

Uploaded via Michael Ventrice's Twitter

Cbvs2t3WIAAm2B7.png

Link: https://mobile.twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/701414592925270018

We are honestly due for a string of bad winters. Geez for here the winter was almost average and only 4 out of last 16 years were below average snowfall IF we assume 3 more inches falls this year.

We are honestly due for a string of bad winters. Geez for here the winter was almost average and only 4 out of last 16 years were below average snowfall IF we assume 3 more inches falls this year.

Agree.  I savored last Feb/March thinking that could be it for awhile....we might be starting down that road

B

Nice blizzard here.

Im at 38 inches.

Below zero was cool.

Snow cover lasted quite a while here, few weeks at least.

Average winter in my book

It also sucks trying to enjoy your snow while half the board is whining about long island cashing in again when they don't deserve snow

Haha for sure but we are all guilty at times. For me it's when north of the southern state is still snowing and I have flipped. I whine then

Bc it is an A for our area. You had a 2' snowstorm, 40" plus season and you went below zero. What more could you want to give this an A for our particular area?

So, conversely, lets say you have a very cold and snowy winter that also happens to include a 5" driving rainstorm and an 80 degree day, would you grade that winter an F?

Its an A on Long Island

150 % of N snow there .

Below 0 for the 1st time in 30 years.

I have seen an entire decade of crap. The last 15 are not the norm.

Eventually these great winters will even out.

It's an A for them.

Good case of the whole not equaling the sum of the parts.

Yes 40" of snow, yes nice artic shot, but three weeks of real winter and a September in December don't make this a 'A'.

So we are grading an ENTIRE winter on 2 days?

No your area is free to grade the winter on the entire season. F

I don't think your realize how rare above average snowfall with a HECS thrown in and a below zero night counts for my particular area...especially since this winter has been above average tempwise. You can thank a historic December temp departure for most of that final number (whatever that may be by late March).

Archived