• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

Had two mornings in the mid 20s in the middle of April 2014. Afternoon highs only reached the low 40s, which seemed weird with cherries and magnolias blooming. That was definitely a very memorable late-season wintry spell...

That it was. As much as I love Spring, and the warmth, there's something I like about snow and frost in April. Nothing like waking up to a frost at 36° and by the afternoon it's 70° and you're wearing a t-shirt.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather is that insanely complex. Even using Moores law (processor speed doubling every 2 years) it's going to be decades before we can accurately predict the weather past 72 hours. If ever!!!

It really depends on the storm. Sometimes the models can produce a detailed 6-8.5 day forecast like the Euro and EPS

did with Sandy. 

Would be nice if we could get a complete model report for every storm here so we could

test each model at the various time ranges. The general model skill scores don't really

help us document storm by storm performance. A model forecast database for each storm

and model would be a welcome resource.

http://www.ecmwf.int/sites/default/files/elibrary/2012/14576-newsletter-no133-autumn-2012.pdf

What a night even my GF said wow this looks like a hurricane. It had that look with sheets of sideways rain. There was even decent flooding under the underpass at sunrise and old mill road in wantagh. Power was out at bellmore road and sunrise. Not much tree damage with the lack of folliage and the huge reduction of trees around here since March 11 Irene and sandy plus the panic cut down of lots of huge trees after sandy

We got hit with a nice cell earlier in jersey city. Also looks to be one last cell moving up the coast towards us

Yup, definitely pretty awesome to see some storms this time of year. Lightning was decent.. 70 degrees on christmas, 30" snowstorm one month later...Followed by 2 severe tstorm warnings..Crazy winter lol

...its like someone turns the switch come late February..at the start of winter i am totally gong ho

in regards to snow and cold..but once it gets to late feb./early march..i'm done..the mindset turns to warmer

spring-like temps..guess its the increased daylight/increased sun angle..a snowstorm in march just doesn't do 

it for me...bring on spring!

Archived