• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

In NYC since records have been officially recorded since 1870 the average temperature during Met winter is 33.3 degrees and the average seasonal snowfall is 28.9 inches.

In the last 30 years including this one, the average temperature during met winter is 35.8 and the average seasonal snowfall is 28.7 inches.

This year in Central Park there has been 31.2 inches of snow 26.8 of which came in a single day and melted within a week. The average temperature has been 40.9 the second highest ever, more than 5 degrees above the 30 year norm and over 7 and  half degrees above the historical norm.

I'm just baffled that anyone in NYC can call this winter a B or better. Even against the historical norms, and if you want to pretend the snowfall was distributed evenly throughout the winter, there is no way this winter is anything better than a C and IMO that's being generous.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well 99 was godawful...I remember it well it was the Womens World Cup and we had every unit of AC in the house on and even a house full of folks from the tropics were complaining about heat the likes of which they had never seen. God I hate hot weather.

It was, 99 is also one of the years on the 11 sunspot cycle-88, 99, 10 were all roasters.

Cutter city on the GFS. Winter is over looks like!

If it ain't over, it's close.  The forecasted -NAO has gone poof, there's little to no cold air anywhere and the trough orientation argues for cutters.    The euro through day 10 shows average to well above average temps with 2 cutters.   Hopefully we can get a wet snow bomb somewhere (even poor patterns sometimes produce)  But I'd say we're mostly done given the pattern which takes us to mid March where snowfall becomes climo difficult.

Euro has an overunning snowstorm for much of the northeast for March 3 event. Para is similiar. GFS cuts it  way inland.

Look at the 500mb. It's not even related to the big storm which slides off the Southeast coast. What you're looking at is a strong clipper from a Northern stream disturbance. 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

Look at the 500mb. It's not even related to the big storm which slides off the Southeast coast. What you're looking at is a strong clipper from a Northern stream disturbance. 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

I never said it was associated with this storm.

f192.gif

If the high  can be further south, more places would be in business.

97-98 had a warm spring, but cooler summer. 09-10 on the other hand had a torch of a summer. I think climo favors warmer.

I want to crush record coastal water temps this summer. We have a great starting point. That sets us up for tropical fun and severe weather at the coast

Plenty of fun weather during the warm season

I want to crush record coastal water temps this summer. We have a great starting point. That sets us up for tropical fun and severe weather at the coast

Plenty of fun weather during the warm season

That I could see.  We still have a +AMO and very little cold this year to cool temps.  The blizzard in Jan churned things up a bit but that was awhile ago.   Also, the MDR of the Atlantic is well above normal and that couple with a Nina should deliver the goods

This winter was just a more extreme version of most of our snowfall coming in a short period.

Many of our 2000's winters with near to above normal snowfall had shorter periods where

most of our snowfall was focused. A wall to wall November to March snowfall season

has been elusive since the 95-96 winter.  And that is the primary reason that NYC hasn't

been able to challenge the 95-96 season despite all the record snowfall since 2000.

That I could see. We still have a +AMO and very little cold this year to cool temps. The blizzard in Jan churned things up a bit but that was awhile ago. Also, the MDR of the Atlantic is well above normal and that couple with a Nina should deliver the goods

I hope I'm wrong because I hate the heat, but with ENSO switching to La Niña, and a possible -PDO developing (favors -PNA and +EPO), this summer could be a scourcher. JB seems to think the PDO is about to flip negative and the continued cooling Gulf of Alaska gives support to the North Pacific SSTAs changing. Something to keep an eye on...

I hope I'm wrong because I hate the heat, but with ENSO switching to La Niña, and a possible -PDO developing (favors -PNA and +EPO), this summer could be a scourcher. JB seems to think the PDO is about to flip negative and the continued cooling Gulf of Alaska gives support to the North Pacific SSTAs changing. Something to keep an eye on...

We'll see if the January +PDO analog predictor gets the +PDO call for next winter correct again.

All previous 8 Januaries with a +1.50 or greater like this year still had a +PDO the next winter. 

http://research.jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest

No that can't happen, we don't get good clippers anymore.  Another reason this season rates a D (or worse) in my book and as good as the last couple have been they didn't rate above an A-.  A couple of clippers, even if they only drop 1-3", add to the wintry appeal and raises the grade for the season.

No that can't happen, we don't get good clippers anymore.  Another reason this season rates a D (or worse) in my book and as good as the last couple have been they didn't rate above an A-.  A couple of clippers, even if they only drop 1-3", add to the wintry appeal and raises the grade for the season.

and they help reinforce the cold air. 

Archived