• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

he's talking about this year not last year.  41 is his seasonal total this year with the 24 inch blizzard embedded in that.

Christ, I'm sitting at 26" and 22 of that fell in the blizzard. Maybe with tonight's "event" Ill make it over the 30" mark. I'm about 18" below average with less than a month to go in realistic snow season.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rating a winter is completely relative to your location, not the winter itself... Most in jersey/NYCLong island would give it a B or A

This will most likely go down as my worst experienced winter since I've been alive

Barring a freak March storm

I would give it a B minus but I understand why you would give it a failing grade. But it does seem quite par for the course for your area.

I would give it a B minus but I understand why you would give it a failing grade. But it does seem quite par for the course for your area.

This year maybe but not seasonally.... Since 2006, I've averaged 56".... Including several 60+ seasons and 70" seasons....

A lot of people seem to think we have been shafted up here, In terms of "blockbuster" blizzards of 18+" I'd agree.... But we 6-10" our way to above average seasonal totals almost every year.. This is the first year since 06 I won't reach 45+"

Christ, I'm sitting at 26" and 22 of that fell in the blizzard. Maybe with tonight's "event" Ill make it over the 30" mark. I'm about 18" below average with less than a month to go in realistic snow season.

Yeah see I also had a 10" storm a 3.5" storm and a bunch of nickel and dimes. Nassau county has been the sweet spot this winter. Last winter we were to far west.

Rating a winter is completely relative to your location, not the winter itself... Most in jersey/NYCLong island would give it a B or A

This will most likely go down as my worst experienced winter since I've been alive

ugly skunker for you, up through Albany, Western MA and VT-just hideous.  I have more snow YTD than freaking Killington.

Yeah see I also had a 10" storm a 3.5" storm and a bunch of nickel and dimes. Nassau county has been the sweet spot this winter. Last winter we were to far west.

Well I have a chance at making up some of that lost ground tonight but the way things are looking I will finish well below average.

This year maybe but not seasonally.... Since 2006, I've averaged 56".... Including several 60+ seasons and 70" seasons....

A lot of people seem to think we have been shafted up here, In terms of "blockbuster" blizzards of 18+" I'd agree.... But we 6-10" our way to above average seasonal totals almost every year.. This is the first year since 06 I won't reach 45+"

11/12?  I didn't even get to 10" unless you count the October storm.

I would give it a C in coastal CT since we are within 3 of average.

This guy did a great ranking of the ridge which dominated our pattern for most of 

2015 after March. According to his compilation, it was the strongest 500 mb ridge

on record across for much of the US. Also notice the record trough over the North 

Atlantic which has been lowering the SST's and keeping the NAO/AO mostly 

positive. All his other fantastic charts are worth a look in the link below.

http://us-climate.blogspot.com/2016/01/2015-reanalysis-climate-rankings.html

How can I possibly say 41" and a 24" blizzard is a stinker? A+ no but solid B. Back in the 80s people would give this an A

Bc it is an A for our area. You had a 2' snowstorm, 40" plus season and you went below zero. What more could you want to give this an A for our particular area?

Bc it is an A for our area. You had a 2' snowstorm, 40" plus season and you went below zero. What more could you want to give this an A for our particular area?

I'll give it a B+. All of this occurred in 30 days. Let's see what March brings if March is a dud it's a B. An A to me is 10/11 or 95/96

Without the blizzard this winter would've been a D at best if we assume no more snow. An F if not for going below 0. The blizzard makes it around a C+ for me right now

It would have been an D- without the blizzard. The only thing that would have brought it up from an F was going below zero here.

Edit: looks like we said the same thing lol. I only read the first sentence.

Stormlover74, on 23 Feb 2016 - 3:43 PM, said:

Without the blizzard this winter would've been a D at best if we assume no more snow. An F if not for going below 0. The blizzard makes it around a C+ for me right now

I'll agree with the c+ for now...cant rate a winter that well that had all three months above normal in temps with Dec by a ridiculous amount...Jan was about +0.6 degrees here and Feb should wind up with a pretty good plus departure with the mild ending now forecast. Great blizzard and below 0 cold for one day but not much else.

If I had to rate this winter it would be a C-, maybe lower.  No extended cold, no snowpack for more than a few days and that doesn't even qualify really because it wasn't snow on snow, one storm of note and the local ponds never froze enough to get out on at all.  Now it's gonna finish with a bunch of rain so everything is just mud for the next few weeks.  Useless...

Archived