joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here in nyc they remove snow much faster today then thy use to do it thanks to snow melt machines.. i remember when the blizzard was winding down. i saw so piled in corners of sidewalks.. then a few hours later that pile was gone.. front loaders put the snow into snow melt machines and there it is gone.. after the december blizzard 2010 here in nyc.. we had that sanitation problem where many accused the sanitation workers of going on strike and that is why many streets remained unplowed for days... this was a very good blizzard gusty winds early and heavy snowfalls rates for hours.. it never stopped snowing.. and only briefly at times the snow lightened up..i

They used to put it in dump trucks and dump it in the rivers then there was a gap for a while due to environmental concerns until they started with the melters.

Got stuck in Leonardo NJ for the Boxing Day blizzard. Craziest winds during a snowstorm I've ever experienced. My sisters house had 5-6 foot drifts up the side. Her station wagon was completely covered minus the antenna and part of the front windshield. It took 3 days for them to plow her street. This years blizzard was great but nothing can top what I experienced during Boxing Day. In the post storm synopsis of Boxing Day by the nws I believe they called it a severe blizzard. It truly was severe, on a completely different level.

The Boxing Day storm started a great run..

I had 13" in that storm, 14.5" in the 1/12 storm, 14" in 1/27, then 2" on 2/1 plus a half inch of ice. After the 2/1 ice storm, we had a 25" snow depth topped with glistening ice. The winter kind of died out at that point save for one 8" event in late February, but it was an amazing run.

10-11 will always be one of my favorite winters for the combination of a memorable blizzard with weeks of deep snowpack and frigid temps. People forget how cold December was that year, too. I believe Central Park had its 2nd longest stretch of continuous snow cover behind 47-48.

Actually the Boxing Day storm started a 32 day stretch from December 26th to January 27th that Central Park recorded 56 inches of snow.

Also I know they happened in what is 2 different winter seasons but the year 2010 saw 2 of NYC's top 10 blizzards in the same calendar year. For me the SNOWICANE in Febraury 2010 was the second best storm of my lifetime. 35 inches of snow that was just relentless for 20 hours. NYC ended with 20.9 and Boxing Day 20.0. However people I know from Manhattan have told me Boxing Day was at least 2 feet in the city. Another infamous measuring job by the zookeeper.

Actually the Boxing Day storm started a 32 day stretch from December 26th to January 27th that Central Park recorded 56 inches of snow.

Also I know they happened in what is 2 different winter seasons but the year 2010 saw 2 of NYC's top 10 blizzards in the same calendar year. For me the SNOWICANE in Febraury 2010 was the second best storm of my lifetime. 35 inches of snow that was just relentless for 20 hours. NYC ended with 20.9 and Boxing Day 20.0. However people I know from Manhattan have told me Boxing Day was at least 2 feet in the city. Another infamous measuring job by the zookeeper.

If I had to pick a fav year it would be 2014...lots of decent snowstorms but no biggie. Last years' piddly storms were maddening I'd rather have one big one....

The stretch of weather from 2010-2012 was amazing. On one bookend you have March 2010 rainstorm and on the other bookend you have Sandy. Plenty of KU's mixed in as well as Irene and other major events.

It has been amazing, that is for sure.  Despite the stinker that this winter has turned to, it's been an amazing stretch of extreme weather on both ends of the spectrum

How can I possibly say 41" and a 24" blizzard is a stinker? A+ no but solid B. Back in the 80s people would give this an A

Not a stinker over all, but since then (around 2/10) it has stunk.  Especially all the forecasts of a great 2nd half of Feb and early march and all we've gotten is warmth and cutters. (outside of the 2 day arctic outbreak 2/13-2/14)

How can I possibly say 41" and a 24" blizzard is a stinker? A+ no but solid B. Back in the 80s people would give this an A

You seem to forget that not everyone experienced those two events the same way. If you're talking about Juno with regards to the first storm, not a flake fell here. The morning of I was in the 24-36" contour from the NWS. 

For the blizzard last month, areas North of the city saw much less.

Not all of us are fortunate to live on the local snow capital.

You seem to forget that not everyone experienced those two events the same way. If you're talking about Juno with regards to the first storm, not a flake fell here. The morning of I was in the 24-36" contour from the NWS. 

he's talking about this year not last year.  41 is his seasonal total this year with the 24 inch blizzard embedded in that.

Archived