CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What upsets me is we go fron a predominantly coastal track to cutter. My poor inland friends cannot get a good pattern to develop.

Been a long time since we had a multiple cutter track-next week makes 3 in a row. Not sure anything even close to a coastal track brings the goods anyway, there is little to no cold air anywhere.  Even yesterday's Midwest special was barely cold enough for snow.

Been a long time since we had a multiple cutter track-next week makes 3 in a row. Not sure anything even close to a coastal track brings the goods anyway, there is little to no cold air anywhere.  Even yesterday's Midwest special was barely cold enough for snow.

The models are really good these days at picking up long range threats. The ensembles are mostly cutters. Blame the lack of blocking. The best we can do the rest of the way is get a well timed system.

There would be cold air next week if we did get a coastal. Problem is that none of the models show that except the EPS yesterday.  The EPS had a lot of members showing that yesterday and now it's gone. The overrunning is also gone. WTF.

The models are really good these days at picking up long range threats. The ensembles are mostly cutters. Blame the lack of blocking. The best we can do the rest of the way is get a well timed system.

Agree. Maybe one of these storms in March will hit us. There is going to be a clipper coming down after next weeks storm. Watch this storm miss us also lol

Agree. Maybe one of these storms in March will hit us. There is going to be a clipper coming down after next weeks storm. Watch this storm miss us also lol

The clipper is a threat to Eastern areas. Those always favor Long Island and New England more than NJ and NYC.

The train of storms is what you want to see. It's typical for a strong Nino and why many thought the Winter would be backloaded, but the lack of blocking has completely caused everything else to **** the bed.

Unless something changes quickly, snow season is probably over for the majority here.

The clipper is a threat to Eastern areas. Those always favor Long Island and New England more than NJ and NYC.

The train of storms is what you want to see. It's typical for a strong Nino and why many thought the Winter would be backloaded, but the lack of blocking has completely caused everything else to **** the bed.

Unless something changes quickly, snow season is probably over for the majority here.

Agree which is depressing. All winter we have been hearing of a back loaded winter. So far, nothing has happened. I got 30 inches in January and 7 inches this month.

Agree which is depressing. All winter we have been hearing of a back loaded winter. So far, nothing has happened. I got 30 inches in January and 7 inches this month.

Consider yourself lucky. At least you're going to finish close to average. I am on pace to finish about 40% below my seasonal average.

Second Week in March from the 6th - 12th will be the next chance for accumulating snow in NYC Metro - the MJO is now forecasted to move along the border of phase 7 and 8 and into the COD beginning the second week around the 6th.Using the ECMF product for that - see link below. Remember we have had some of our biggest snowstorms while the MJO was in the COD.One being the Jan 23rd Blizzard. In addition there are indications that the AO will be going into a more negative phase that week with more blocking over Greenland with the NAO moving close to neutral with the PNA remaining positive. All of these factors in combination will help suppress the active storm track and prevent cutters after next week.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ecmf.shtml

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

Second Week in March from the 6th - 12th will be the next chance for accumulating snow in NYC Metro - the MJO is now forecasted to move along the border of phase 7 and 8 and into the COD beginning the second week around the 6th.Using the ECMF product for that - see link below. Remember we have had some of our biggest snowstorms while the MJO was in the COD.One being the Jan 23rd Blizzard. In addition there are indications that the AO will be going into a more negative phase that week with more blocking over Greenland with the NAO moving close to neutral with the PNA remaining positive. All of these factors in combination will help suppress the active storm track and prevent cutters after next week.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

that all looks great, but it's predicated on the AO being negative-AO/NAO can be fickle and 2 weeks is a long time-they could be raging positive by the time we get to 3/6 and even the MJO was forecast to be in 8 right now and instead we're stuck in 7....too many moving parts here.

that all looks great, but it's predicated on the AO being negative-AO/NAO can be fickle and 2 weeks is a long time-they could be raging positive by the time we get to 3/6 and even the MJO was forecast to be in 8 right now and instead we're stuck in 7....too many moving parts here.

Whole idea is to suppress the storm track and prevent the cutters - the current pattern we are in is not going to last forever because of all the volatility we have experienced in the patterns this winter - there is going to be at least one more opportunity to enjoy a colder stormier pattern for a week or 2 before that changes again....

Consider yourself lucky. At least you're going to finish close to average. I am on pace to finish about 40% below my seasonal average.

Well I am going to finish about 10 inches above average but still, one storm isn't enough for me even though it was a record breaking storm.

Next timeframe to watch and possibly the last one of the winter.

This winter was just a more extreme yversion of most of our snowfall coming in a short period.

Many of our 2000's winters with near to above normal snowfall had shorter periods where

most of our snowfall was focused. A wall to wall November to March snowfall season

has been elusive since the 95-96 winter.  And that is the primary reason that NYC hasn't

been able to challenge the 95-96 season despite all the record snowfall since 2000.

excellent post and it applies more or less up here too...maybe 02-03 and 04-05 pretty close for us anyways but I was thinking of this the other day...intense periods of winter weather but little in the way of seasonal duration

Archived