• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Also, I could see this starting as early as Sunday Evening given the soundings get saturated quick. There's the dry air to fight off at the surface but I'd expect this thing to either be quicker or wetter than its currently presenting at the beginning of the event. 

Yep, I've seen it a bunch of times..... and where that finger of initial precip set ups, it snows for a while while areas outside of that area go nuts waiting. Happened with the Christmas storm a few years ago.... Triad area got thumped all day while Charlotte region waited and waited. 

That initial band can put down some snow though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I've seen it a bunch of times..... and where that finger of initial precip set ups, it snows for a while while areas outside of that area go nuts waiting. Happened with the Christmas storm a few years ago.... Triad area got thumped all day while Charlotte region waited and waited.

That initial band can put down some snow though.

And that is another thing that's almost impossible to nail down on models and forecasts. I've often wondered if it's the trajectory of the main storm or the tilt and or which level jet that influences this the most.

For those in the GSP area, Nicole on fox21 said, light snow by 6 AM, moderate snow by noon, then change to rain in afternoon! Never heard her be this aggressive 3-4 days out!

I would say there's enough model consistency for them to know a winter storm is coming. But yea its early for them. Read GSP for Upstate, they already calling for snow likely all day Monday changing sometime Tues morning! And we know they are very conservative!

Our friend Snowgoose posted this in the wrong thread. Good point he makes!

Assuming we don't see a major N shift in the next 36 hours, people will fall off their chairs when this comes into range on the NAM and they see the temps it spits out at places like GSP/AHN/ATL at hour 84 vs what the globals had been showing.  I've seen cases where the NAM gets into range on a wedge situation and is 12-15 degrees colder than what the globals had been showing. 

Sounds like things are still on track for a wintry mess. Of course, there is still a lot of time for things to change. It wouldn't even take much snow/ice to cause problems getting around with as cold as it has been this week into next.

If the euro para is correct we won't even have a wintry mess.  Maybe 2 hours of sn/ip then straight to rain for 24 hours.  Of course this is just one model.

Once again it looks like im not in the best position here in Danville, and would be better off in Marion... The N Foothills and Mtns should do really well if the low tracks as is modeled on the GFS and EURO. I have seen this setup in the past 3-5 snow, then sleet then ZR perhaps switching back to snow before ending (especially mtns) Most thought I was in a better spot here in Danville for the last storm but Marion had 13 inches and only 8 for Danville

Models have taken a dramatic step towards a apps runner.  :yikes:

I will caution everybody that this is a major adjustment in the track and that some adjustment towards previous runs should happen. 

GFS Vs. Ens 

pres_long.gif

Canadian Vs. ens

pres_long.gif

Canadian and GFS op runs.

pres_long.gif

That does not show models trending towards an app runner.. piedmont or I 95 maybe...

That does not show models trending towards an app runner.. piedmont or I 95 maybe...

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Chris Justus seems to agree in his update just minutes ago:

QUICK UPDATE: Overnight models in better agreement with a stronger low pressure system and a track along I-95 Sunday night through Monday Night. With the deep cold air in place before the storm it looks like areas north of I-85 could be looking at a significant winter storm while areas south are looking at more of a nuisance event. That line will be just like last time, harsh! Meaning 5-10 miles can make a huge difference on impacts. Once the morning models come in I'll have a full video update for you. My goal is to try to pinpoint that line today, it could be I-40, the NC/SC line, but more likely it will be I-85. Tomorrow we will talk totals. Stay tuned!

I agree... I have a feeling we'll be saying your name a lot on Monday/Tuesday.  :)

Haha maybe so.  Still a long time to go, though.  A weaker high pulling out faster is probably my biggest concern at this point.  Although I will say, I don't care for another major ice storm this year, so maybe "concern" isn't the right word.  If we don't start trending back toward a colder scenario with more snow/sleet around these parts, I will absolutely be pulling for flooding rains.

Models have taken a dramatic step towards a apps runner. :yikes:

I will caution everybody that this is a major adjustment in the track and that some adjustment towards previous runs should happen.

GFS Vs. Ens

pres_long.gif

Canadian Vs. ens

pres_long.gif

Canadian and GFS op runs.

pres_long.gif

that's Not an apps runner and if anything the models have moved away from a cutter/runner solution. Just yesterday you were talking about this bring a weak "zipper low" and not much of anything.

Was a disaster the Euro has been with this storm, massive run to run changes. This is why some of us have said the Euro is not what it used to be.

Of course the "Euro is king" crowd will be out again talking it up.

The GGEM and RGEM have done much better for my area the last couple of years than the Euro.

What a disaster the Euro has been with this storm, massive run to run changes. This is why some of us have said the Euro is not what it used to be.

Of course the "Euro is king" crowd will be out again talking it up.

Honestly I can see the GFS scenario more likely happening.. some overunning precip reinforcing the CAD than LP tracking through central SC/NC.

Archived